Boldy seasoned ground beef & cheddar cheese are stuffed inside wonton wrappers & baked until crispy! These easy taco cups are perfect for an appetizer party or a fun way to switch up your taco night!
How fun are these taco cups?! Since we love anything involving tacos, I already knew these would be a hit. But I didn’t realize how much of a hit they’d be! Meaty, cheesy, crispy – everything you love about tacos packed into a tasty handheld snack!
These tacos cups are made with wonton wrappers instead of tortillas so they’re much lighter and easier to eat. (Making them perfect for appetizer parties, football parties, birthday parties or any time your taco craving hits!) Mix and match them with your favorite toppings for even more fun!
Ingredients For Your Taco Cups
Wonton wrappers: Used as the base for your taco cups! You’ll need 2 wonton wrappers per cup.
Ground beef: Any type of ground beef works for this recipe! (I used 90/10 for ours.)
Cheddar cheese: We love using sharp cheddar cheese! (I love the bold flavor it add to your taco meat!) Any type of cheddar or Mexican cheese blend would work too.
Canned petite diced tomatoes: It’s important to use petite diced tomaotes so you don’t end up with large chuncks of tomaotes in your cups.
Spices: Chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper are used to season your ground beef mixture!
How To Make Taco Cups
1. Preheat your oven. Turn your oven on to 400 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Make your taco filling. In a large pan, saute your onions until tender. Then add your ground beef and seasonings and cook until the beef is cooked through. (About 3-4 minutes.) Add your canned tomatoes (drained) and continue cooking until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. (About 5-7 minutes.)
3. Assemble your cups. Place one wonton wrapper in the center of each cup in your prepared tin. (Press it down slightly so it forms to the cup.) Then add a small layer of cheese and another wonton wrapper on top. (Again, gently press the wonton down so it “sticks” to the cheese layer.) Spoon one tablespoon of your meat mixture into each cup and sprinkle your remaining cheese over the top.
4. Bake. Place the tin in the oven and bake for 13-18 minutes or until the wontons are toasted and the cheese has melted. We like our pretty crispy on top so I let mine bake for the whole 18 minutes. (Every oven is different though so I’d suggest checking your cups around the 10 minute mark to make sure they’re not burning.) Once done, run a sharp knife around the edge of each cup and pop them out of the tin.
5. Garnish & serve! Garnish your taco cups with your favorite toppings and serving immediately.
Make these crunchy taco cups your own and serve them with your taco toppings! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Sliced green onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sliced black olives
Serving these taco cups for a party? Make a fun taco bar for your guests! Serve your cups on a tray as they are and provide a variety of toppings for your guests to pick & choose! It’s so much fun! (I’m thinking these would be a fantastic Super Bowl snack this weekend!)
- Can I use a different type of meat? Absolutely! Ground turkey or ground chicken would also be delicious!
- Where can I find wonton wrappers? Most grocery stores keep them in the refrigerated section next to the cheese and eggs.
- Can I make these taco cups in advance? You can cooked your taco meat and shred your cheese 1-2 days in advance. When your ready to serve, reheat your taco meat in the mircowave or on the stove, assemble the cups and bake!
Why you’ll love this taco cups recipe!
- So flavorful! Boldly seasoned ground beef + melty cheese + crispy wontons…what’s not to love?! Add a dollop of sour cream or guacamole for even more flavor!
- Inexpensive! Most of these ingredients are relatively cheap or are pantry staples you already have at home!
- An easy handheld appetizer! Finger foods are a must when it comes to appetizer parties! These taco cups are the perfect grab and go snack!
Need them dairy free?! Use your favorite dairy free shredded cheddar cheese instead!
More taco recipes you might like:
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Cheesy Turkey Taco Skillet
- Crispy Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Taco Salad with Zesty Taco Dressing
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Taco Cups
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 lb. ground beef (I used 90/10)
- ½ of a white onion, diced
- 14.5 oz. canned petite diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, chopped cilantro, sliced green onion
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Next heat a large pan over medium high heat and add a splash of olive oil once it's hot. Then add your onions and saute until tender.
- Next add your ground beef and seasonings and cook until the beef is cooked through. (About 3-4 minutes.) Add your canned tomatoes (drained) and continue cooking until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. (About 5-7 minutes.)
- Then place one wonton wrapper in the center of each cup in your prepared tin. (Push it down slightly to make sure it "forms" to the cup.)Then add 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese to each cup and place another wonton over the cheese layer. (Again, gently push it down so the wonton "sticks" to the cheese.)
- Then fill each cup with your ground beef mixture and sprinkle your remaining cheese over the top.
- Place the tin in the oven and bake for 13-18 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the wontons are crispy. (I would suggest checking them around the 10 minute mark to make sure they're not burning.)
- Once done, run a sharp knife around the edge of each cup and pop them out of the tin.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings and enjoy!