Taco stuffed sweet potatoes are an easy meal your family will love! Roasted sweet potatoes are stuffed with a savory ground beef filling then topped with all your favorite taco toppings!
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – an easy dinner idea you’re going to love! I feel like I have a thing for “stuffing” food items… Stuffed zucchini, stuffed peppers, stuffed chicken… Apparently if it can be stuffed with something yummy and delicious – I’m all over it!😂 And since tacos are my love language when it comes to food, it was only a matter of time before these two passions were brought together!
These sweet potatoes are perfect for taco lovers! They’re meaty, cheesy, so simple to make and you can load them up with as many toppings as you want! Plus a great option for the more health conscious taco lover too! (Sweet potatoes are loaded with health benefits making them a great way to add some extra nutrition!)
Ingredients For Your Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes: Try to use sweet potatoes that are similiar in size for the best results. (This helps them cook more evenly. I personally like the smaller fatter ones.😉)
- Ground beef: Any type of ground beef works for this recipe. (I used 90/10 beef for mine.)
- Onion: White or red onion can both be used.
- Garlic: You’ll need at least 2 garlic cloves!
- Canned diced tomatoes: I love using fire roasted diced tomatoes for this recipe! (If you’re not a fan of the larger tomato chunks, you can always blend the diced tomatoes in a food processor or use crushed tomatoes instead.)
- Spices: Chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper are all needed to spice up for taco filling!
How To Make Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
1. Prep your sweet potatoes. Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes then pat them dry with a paper towel. Take a large fork and poke a few holes in them. Then rub your potatoes with olive oil and season all sides with salt and pepper.
2. Bake! Place your prepared potatoes on a baking pan lined with parchment and bake at 425 degrees for 40-45 minutes. (Your potatoes should be soft and tender once done.)
2. Make your taco filling. Saute your garlic and onions together until tender. Then add your ground beef and seasonings and cook until the beef is cooked through. (About 3-4 minutes.) Add your canned tomatoes (undrained) and continue cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. (About 5-7 minutes.)
3. Stuff! Once the potatoes are done, slice each one down the center length-wise and fluff the insides with a fork. Then spoon your desired amount of ground beef filling into each potato. (Alternatively, you can slice each potato in half and serve them as halves insead.)
4. Top & serve! Add your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
Make these stuffed sweet potatoes your own by using all your favorite taco toppings! Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Shredded cheddar cheese (We love a good sharp cheddar with these!)
- Guacamole/mashed avocado
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Salsas & hot sauces
- Pickled jalapenos
- A squeeze of lime!
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
- Storing: Place your leftover ground beef filling and sweet potatoes in separate air tight containers and keep them stored in the refrigerator. They should stay good for 3-4 days if stored properly.
- Reheating: The best way to reheat your leftover filling is in a pan on the stove. (You can also warm it in the microwave but I found that it doesn’t stay as warm as long.) For the sweet potatoes – reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees until they’re warmed to your liking.
- Can I use ground turkey instead? Yes! Ground turkey would be a great replacement for this recipe!
- How do I know when my potatoes are done baking? Your potatoes should “give in” slightly when you give them a gentle squeeze. (That means they’re soft and tender in the center.) Some potatoes may take longer to bake depending on their size.
- Can I make these stuffed sweet potatoes ahead of time? Absolutely! Your potatoes and taco filling can be made 1-2 days in advance. When your ready to eat, simply reheat your filling on the stove and warm your potatoes in the oven until they’re warmed to your liking. Then serve and enjoy!
Why you’ll love this taco stuffed sweet poato recipe!
- A satisfying & nutritious meal! Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber and vitamins making them the perfect vehicle for a healthy meal!
- A fun twist on taco night! Regular beef tacos can get so boring… Switch it up by ditching the tortilla for some tasty sweet potatoes instead!
- Cheaper ingredients! Ground beef & sweet potatoes are usually pretty inexpensive! Use any toppings you have on hand to make this meal even cheaper!
Need them gluten free? Great news, they already are!
Need them dairy free? Use your favorite dairy free toppings instead!
More taco recipes you might like:
- Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Crispy Shrimp & Poblano Tacos
- Chipotle Shredded Beef Tacos
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Bacon & Avocado
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ a white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Toppings: guacamole, cheddar cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, etc
To make the sweet potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Next wash and pat dry your sweet potatoes. Then use a large fork to poke a few holes into each potato.
- Rub your potatoes with olive oil and season all sides with salt and pepper. Then place the potatoes on your prepared baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
To make the taco filling:
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add a splash of olive oil once it's hot. Then add your onions and garlic and cook until tender.
- Next add your ground beef and seasonings and cook until the beef is cooked through. (About 3-4 minutes.) Then add your canned tomatoes and continue cooking until most of the liquid has absorbed. (About 5-7 minutes.)
To assemble the sweet potatoes:
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, slice them in half length-wise and fluff the insides with a fork. Then spoon your taco filling in the center of each potato and top with your favorite toppings. (Alternatively, you can cut each potato in half and serve them as halves instead.)
- Serve immediately and enjoy!