Balsamic marinated chicken thighs are blackened on the grill & topped with a sweet & salty strawberry-feta topping! This grilled balsamic chicken recipe is an easy summer dinner you’re going to love!
Balsamic chicken has always been one of our favorite easy dinners. It’s quick, simple to make and has a ton of flavor! Which is why we love this grilled version even more! (Especially during summer when it’s wayy too hot to heat up the oven.)
This recipe uses my favorite balsamic chicken marinade and pairs it with a simple sweet and salty strawberry-feta topping! Drizzle your favorite balsamic glaze over the top to tie it all together!
I originally created this balsamic chicken dish for a brand and it was so good I had to add it to the blog! Perfect for dinner parties, Valentine’s Day dinner, a girls’ night in or just an easy summer dinner when strawberries are in peak season! It’s a quick, easy and healthy meal that’s full of bright vibrant flavors!
Ingredients For Balsamic Chicken
Chicken thighs: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs for the best results.
Balsamic vinegar: You’ll need a ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar for your marinade.
Olive oil: Adding a olive oil to your marinade helps tenderize the meat and allows the spices to adhere to your chicken thighs.
Dijon mustard: Smooth dijon mustard works the best for this recipe.
Garlic: You need 2 minced garlic cloves for the marinade.
Spices: Dried oregano, salt and black pepper go into your balsamic marinade.
Strawberries: Look for strawberries that are a deep red color for the best results. (These tend to be the most flavorful!)
Feta cheese: Buy a block of feta cheese and crumble it yourself for maximum flavor!
Fresh basil: You’ll need at least 2 tablespoons of sliced fresh basil for your topping. (Or more if you love basil like me😉!)
Balsamic glaze: Use your favorite store bought glaze or make it yourself! (I love using a homemade maple-balsamic glaze for ours! My homemade glaze recipe is further down in this post!😊)
How To Make Balsamic Chicken With Strawberries & Feta
1. Marinate the chicken. Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, dried oregano and black pepper together in a large bowl. Then add your chicken thighs, cover and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes – 4 hours, if desired. (Sometimes we’ll let them marinate overnight.)
2. Make the strawberry-feta topping. While the chicken marinates, mix the diced strawberries, crumbled feta cheese and sliced basil together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep it chilled in the refrigerator.
3. Grill! Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and oil the grill grates to prevent sticking. Once hot, remove the thighs from the marinade and place them directly on the grill. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side (or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- Bake them instead! Place the chicken thighs in a prepared baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes (or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees).
4. Serve. Spoon your strawberry topping over each individual chicken thigh and drizzle your favorite balsamic glaze over the top.
My Homemade Balsamic Glaze Recipe
I love keeping a bottle of balsamic glaze on hand – it’s so good on everything! Essentially we’re making a balsamic reduction (which can sound a little intimidating) but I promise, it’s so easy! It’s only 2 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes!
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey (I love using maple syrup!)
Step 1: Add the balsamic vinegar and your sweetener of choice to a small pot. Then whisk and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
Step 2: Once boiling, turn the burner down to medium-low (or until it becomes a soft boil/simmer) and let the balsamic mixture simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Your glaze is done once it’s thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.)
Step 3: Transfer your glaze to a glass bowl and let it cool at room temperature. (The glaze will thicken as it cools.)
Step 4: Pour the cooled glaze into a glass jar or bottle and keep it stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
The balsamic glaze should stay good for up to 6 months if stored properly in the refrigerator.
Round out this easy chicken dinner with a few healthy side dishes! Think simple sides, like roasted/sautéed veggies or side salads to compliment the flavors in your chicken. We love serving roasted asparagus and crispy air fried potatoes with ours!
Can I use chicken breasts instead? Yes! Chicken breasts are a great substitute! You may need to cook them a little longer depending on their size so keep checking them with a meat thermometer.
Can I marinate the chicken longer than 4 hours? Yes! The longer your chicken marinates, the more flavorful it is!
Why you’ll love this balsamic chicken recipe
- Stunning yet easy! This is one of those meals that looks fancy but is actually SO EASY! Impress your guests while spending hardly any time in the kitchen!
- So much flavor! Tangy balsamic chicken paired with sweet strawberries + salty feta is a match made in heaven!
- Simple ingredients! Just a few basic pantry items are all you need for this easy dinner!
Need it gluten free?! Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free?! Omit the feta cheese. (It’s still delicious without it!)
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Strawberries & Feta
For the balsamic chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Balsamic glaze, for drizzling over the top (homemade or store bought)*
For the strawberry-feta topping:
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, sliced
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Marinate the chicken. Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, oregano and black pepper together in a large bowl. Then add your chicken thighs and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes – 4 hours. (Sometimes we'll marinate them overnight.)
- Make the strawberry-feta topping. While the chicken marinates, mix your strawberries, crumbled feta cheese and sliced basil together in a bowl. Then season it with salt and pepper to taste.Cover and keep it chilled in the refrigerator.
- Grill the chicken. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates to prevent sticking. Once hot, remove the thighs from the marinade and place them directly on the grill. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side (or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees).Baking Directions: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Add the chicken thighs to the dish and bake for 20-22 minutes (or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- Serve. Spoon your strawberry-feta topping over each chicken thigh and drizzle balsamic glaze over the top.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey (depending how sweet you want it)