Juicy watermelon, sweet seasonal berries & fresh lime zest all tossed in a simple honey-lime poppy seed dressing! This easy fruit salad is light & refreshing & so perfect for summer!
What’s your first thought when I say summer fruit?? For me, it’s all about the watermelon! Watermelon smoothies, watermelon side dishes, watermelon flavored drinks – watermelon, watermelon, watermelon…I want it all! Which is why this watermelon summer berry salad is one of my favorite dishes to make during this time of year! It’s sweet, tangy, loaded with fresh fruit and the perfect refreshing side dish for a hot summer day!
Ingredients For Your Watermelon Salad
- Watermelon: Fresh or pre-cut watermelon both work for this recipe! (If using pre-cut watermelon, try to use pieces that are deep red in color. That means they’re the ripest!) We’ll usually cut a mini seedless watermelon if we’re using fresh.
- Cherries: I love using dark red cherries for this salad!
- Strawberries: An essential ingredient for any fruit salad!
- Blueberries: Look for berries that are firm and plump for the best results! (They usually have the best flavor!)
- Lime juice: Used as the base for your dressing! You’ll need about 3 limes (depending on how juicy they are) to completely coat the salad.
- Lime zest: Don’t skip the zest! (It really elevates the lime flavor in your salad.) You’ll only need to zest ½ a lime so I’d suggest zesting one that’s already being used for your dressing.
- Honey: Adds a hint of sweetness to your dressing!
- Poppy seeds: A ½ teaspoon goes into your dressing and gives your salad a fun pop of texture!
How To Make Watermelon Summer Berry Salad
- Prepare your fruit. Cut your watermelon into 1 inch cubes and add it to a large bowl. Then cut your strawberries in half (or quarters) and pit and cut your cherries in half and add them to the bowl with your watermelon. Then add your blueberries and lime zest.
- Make the dressing. Next, whisk your dressing ingredients together until the honey dissolves.
- Mix & serve! Pour your desired amount dressing over the fruit and toss the salad until it’s completely coated. Then serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for 10-20 minutes before serving.
Helpful Tip! The longer your salad sits, the more moisture it will create in the bottom of your bowl. If you want to chill your salad, I’d recommend storing your fruit in the refrigerator separately and tossing the salad together with the dressing right before serving.
Watermelon salads are a great option for any occasion! Here are a few ways we love to use it to help get you started!
- It’s the perfect accompaniment for grilled meats (steak, chicken, burgers, etc.).
- An easy side dish for barbecues or potlucks!
- A refreshing fruit salad for breakfast or brunch!
- Make it a fun summery dessert! Scoop some of your salad over a slice of angel food cake and top it with a dollop homemade whipped cream!
Why you’ll love this watermelon salad recipe!
- Healthy & refreshing! Juicy watermelon, fresh seasonal berries, zesty limes and a sweet honey lime dressing – the salad just scream summer! (Plus fresh fruit is full of vitamins and antioxidants too!)
- Quick and easy! Just chop, whisk and toss it all together! This watermelon salad couldn’t be any easier to put together!
- Perfect for parties! It’s always the first dish to go at any potluck, barbecue or dinner party!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More fruit salad recipes you might like:
- Fruit Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- Watermelon Blueberry & Feta Salad
- Citrus Pomegranate Kale Salad with Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette
- Summer Peach & Blueberry Kale Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments! I love seeing what you create!]
Watermelon Summer Berry Salad
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup strawberries, halved or quartered
- 1 cup red cherries, pitted & halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ tsp lime zest (about ½ a lime)
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 tsp honey
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- Whisk your lime juice, honey and poppy seeds together in a bowl then set it aside while you prepare the rest of your salad.
- Add your fruit and lime zest to a large bowl and drizzle your desired amount of dressing over the top.
- Toss the salad until it's fully coated and serve immediately. (Or let it chill in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes before serving.)
This dressing is genius. Why had I never put a dressing on a fruit salad before?? I made this (with slightly different fruit) for a dinner with my parents and everyone loved it. So creative!