A sweet & savory mix of watermelon, feta cheese, fresh basil & blueberries all tossed in a simple honey-lime vinaigrette! This watermelon feta salad is a refreshing summer side dish you’re going to love!
If you’re looking for a new salad to serve this summer – this watermelon feta salad with blueberries is it! It has fresh seasonal favorites like watermelon, sweet blueberries and basil all tossed with salty feta for a flavorful sweet & salty concoction you never knew you needed!
We love the simplicity of this salad too! It’s only 4 main ingredients + a simple vinaigrette that can all be prepped ahead of time! Don’t let it’s simple ingredients fool you though – it’s packed with flavor and has the most refreshing bite!
Ingredients For Your Watermelon Salad
Watermelon: Fresh or pre-cut watermelon both work for this recipe. We prefer using mini seedless watermelon for ours if we’re using fresh watermelon. If using pre-cut watermelon, look for pieces that are dark red in color. (They’re usually the ripest and have the best flavor.)
Blueberries: Use as little or as many as you want!
Feta cheese: Always buy a block of feta cheese and crumble it yourself for the best flavor! (Block feta is much more flavorful than store bought crumbled feta.)
Fresh basil: Fresh basil leaves add just the right amount of freshness to your salad. (You can leave them whole, tear them or thinly slice them for this salad!)
Limes: You’ll to juice 2 limes for your salad dressing!
Honey: Used to sweeten your salad dressing! (We prefer using 1½ tablespoons for ours but you can always use more or less if you prefer.)
Olive oil: Use extra light tasting olive oil for the best results. (It’s more mild in flavor allowing the other dressing ingredients to shine!)
Spices: Salt and black pepper are needed to season your dressing!
How To Make A Watermelon Feta Salad
1. Make your vinaigrette. Whisk your lime juice, honey, olive oil, salt and black pepper together in a small bowl. (Taste and adjust your seasonings if needed.) Then cover and keep it stored in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of your salad.
2. Prep your ingredients. Cut your watermelon into bite-sized pieces and grab your remaining salad ingredients.
3. Toss. Add the your watermelon, blueberries, feta cheese and basil to a large bowl and pour your desired amount of vinaigrette over the top. Toss until the salad is fully coated.
4. Serve! Serve immediately or cover and let your salad chill in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. (Best served with extra feta cheese and fresh basil sprinkled over the top!)
This salad is best served fresh the day of! For the best results, I’d suggest chilling your ingredients beforehand then tossing them in your vinaigrette right before serving!
- Add nuts or seeds! Roasted/salted pepitas or toasted pecans or pistachios are all great options!
- Switch up the fruit! Blackberries would make a fantastic addition to your salad!
- Swap out the feta cheese for goat cheese! (Goat cheese will make your salad creamier and slightly sweeter!)
- Use fresh mint instead of basil!
Why you’ll love this watermelon salad recipe!
- Minimal ingredients! Only 4 main ingredients + an incredibly easy vinaigrette!
- A refreshing bbq side dish! Move over potato salad – this watermelon salad is about to become a new favorite!
- Always a crowd pleaser! Your guests are going to love it’s sweet & savory flavors!
[Made one of my recipes? Tag & share it on Instagram @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Watermelon Feta Salad with Blueberries
- 5 cups watermelon, cubed (about 1 large mini seedless watermelon)
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¾ cup feta cheese, crumbled (or more to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced (or more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil*
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Make the vinaigrette. Whisk your lime juice, honey and olive oil together in a bowl then season it with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep it chilled in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of your salad.
- Toss the salad. Add your watermelon, blueberries, feta cheese and basil to a large bowl then toss in your desired amount of vinaigrette. Toss until the salad is fully coated.
- Serve. Serve immediately with extra feta cheese and fresh basil sprinkled over the top. Or cover and keep the salad chilled in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve. (See Notes for make ahead instructions.)
- Dice your watermelon and keep it stored in a large container in the refrigerator.
- Make the honey-lime vinaigrette and keep it stored in the refrigerator.
- Fresh basil should be sliced right before serving.
- When ready to serve, toss everything with the vinaigrette & serve immediately.