Ever since my first frittata was a success, I feel like I’ve been one egg-obsessed lady! (Honestly, I’ve had some type of eggs every single day this week.) But there’s just so many different ways to make them! You can scramble them, fry them, top them over your toast (or everything for that matter 😉 ), hard boil them, soft boil them, devil them, or (my personal favorite now) throw them in a cast iron and bake them with lots and lots of goodies! Just like I did with my newest creation – the SUPREME PIZZA FRITTATA!
Yes I did just say pizza and frittata in the same sentence. And yes it does taste exactly like the real thing! AND just like most of my other recipes, my favorite thing about this dish is that it’s completely customizable! Just take whatever your favorite pizza toppings are and throw them right in!
For my frittata I used:
- Pizza Seasoning: Definitely the star of the show here! I bought a “pizza seasoning spice blend” a few weeks ago from The Spice & Tea Exchange and have been obsessed with it ever since! While I’m not usually a fan of most store bought spice blends, this one is made with all real ingredients and really gives the frittata it’s pizza-y flavor. (That being said, you can also use your own pizza seasoning too! Here are a few homemade seasoning blends that would also be fantastic! Lil Luna Pizza Seasoning, Au Naturale Nutrition, Home in the Finger Lakes)
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Another must have! This also adds to the frittata’s awesome flavor and provides some moisture too. I used sun dried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil to give it that extra umph! (I would not recommend using dried sun dried tomatoes – the ones in the bag – as these can become very chewy after baking.)
- Turkey Pepperoni: Pretty self explanatory. You can also use regular pepperoni, sausage/chicken sausage or even Canadian bacon too.
- Mozzarella Pearls: What’s pizza without some cheese right?! I LOVE using these pearls instead of shredded mozzarella because they’re like tiny bits of gooey deliciousness every time you bite into them. 🙂
- Green bell peppers and onions: Because after all of that, we definitely need some veggies up in here!
And because frittatas can be a tad bit tricky, here’s some How To Make A Frittata 101 for ya:
- DO NOT add extra liquid! Ie. milk, water etc. (This could totally be a personal preference but from my experience, adding liquid creates a sponge-like texture that I’m just not about.)
- DO NOT have your burner on too high. Cooking eggs is all about low and slowww. If your burner is too hot, then you can actually burn the bottom of your frittata. I always cook mine on medium high heat.
- DO NOT have your oven too hot! This is probably the trickiest part because every oven is so different. In our old oven, frittatas seemed to take forever to cook. But our new one bakes them like a champ! Just make sure to check it after 10 minutes to see how much longer you might need to cook it.
- How do you know it’s done? The frittata should have a nice, slightly browned top that doesn’t jiggle when you shake the pan.
And that’s it! Frittatas are also great make ahead meals too. You can make it in the morning and just reheat it for a fast dinner. Or you can even make it the night before and pack it to go for an easy peasy breakfast!
Supreme Pizza Frittata
- 6 eggs
- 20 turkey pepperonis (chop 7 of them and leave the rest whole)
- 8-10 sun dried tomatoes (in extra virgin olive oil), chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 onion slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup mozzarella pearls
- 1 tsp pizza seasoning*
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slightly cook the peppers and onions until they’re just tender. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with your pizza seasoning. Set aside.
- Heat a 9 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Spray with avocado oil and add in your peppers, onions, tomatoes and chopped pepperonis. Saute until they’re just warm. Then spread the filling so that everything is evenly distributed in the pan.
- Pour in the egg mixture and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the sides begin to set. Once set, place your mozzarella pearls and whole pepperonis on the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the middle doesn’t jiggle. (Check occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn!)
- Serve with a side salad or some crispy bread (or even with more pizza! ;)).