A simple summer salad made with the freshest ingredients! This summer corn salad is loaded with sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, onion & cilantro all tossed in lime juice and topped with creamy avocado!
Summer salads are my FAVORITE and this summer corn salad with avocado is right at the top! It’s packed with fresh seasonal ingredients like sweet corn, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado all tossed in lime juice and simply seasoned with salt & pepper. (Trust me – when ingredients are this fresh they don’t need a lot to taste delicious!😉)
It’s a light and refreshing salad that’s perfect for all your favorite summer activities. Potlucks, backyard barbecues, dinner parties – this corn salad is always the first side dish to go! (We take it to almost every party during the summer and always get requests for the recipe. It’s so easy!)
Ingredients For Summer Corn Salad
- Corn: Fresh corn-on-the-cob works the best for this recipe! Look for corn cobs with plump kernels and no dull/deflated spots for the best results.
- Tomatoes: We always use grape or cherry tomatoes for ours. They have the best flavor and are easier to cut!
- Red onion: They’re sweeter and don’t have a harsh “onion flavor” like white or yellow onions. (Using white or yellow onions can overpower your salad.)
- Avocado: Using lots of avocado is a MUST for this salad! (Let each person add avocado to the top their salad right before serving.)
- Cilantro: Use the leaves and stems for maximum flavor! (You can add as little or as much cilantro as you’d like.)
- Lime juice: Don’t be afraid to use A LOT of lime juice! We’re using the juice as our “dressing” so you’ll need enough to coat the entire salad. (I would suggest tasting the salad after it’s been mixed and adding more if needed.)
- Spices: Salt & black pepper are all you need to season your corn salad!
How To Make Summer Corn Salad with Avocado
1. Prepare your corn. Cook your corn cobs using your favorite method then allow them to cool completely. Once cooled, cut the kernels off each cob and add them to a large bowl.
2. Cut the rest of your ingredients. While the corn is cooling, slice your tomatoes in half and finely chop your red onion and cilantro.
3. Mix & chill. Add your prepared ingredients to the bowl with your corn and toss in your lime juice, salt and black pepper. (Taste the salad and adjust your seasonings if needed. I’m very generous with the salt.😉) Then cover the salad and keep it chilled in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
4. Serve! When you’re ready to serve, dice your avocado and either mix it in to your salad or serve it over the top of each individual bowl and serve immediately.
How To Boil Corn For Your Summer Corn Salad
This is my favorite method for cooking corn on the cob! It’s quick, easy and yields perfectly cooked corn every time!
- Shuck your corn cobs and remove all the “whispies”.
- Then bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add your corn cobs and boil for 1½ – 2 minutes.
- Remove your cobs from the pot and allow them to cool completely before cutting off the kernels.
OR make this salad a raw corn salad instead! Just cut your kernels off the cob without boiling it first! (It’s perfectly safe to eat & there’s no cooking needed!)
- Keep your salad stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- Remove any diced avocado from the salad before storing. (It will turn brown if left in your salad.)
- Always toss your salad in a little squeeze of lime juice before serving again.
- Can I use canned or frozen corn instead of fresh corn? Yes! I would suggest using canned corn vs. frozen corn. (It’s texture is similar to fresh corn while frozen corn can become mushy after it’s been thawed.)
- Can I freeze my corn salad? No! This corn salad does not hold up well once it’s frozen.
Why you’ll love this summer corn salad recipe
- Perfect for the warmer temps! Light, refreshing & full of veggies! This corn salad is an easy way to stay cool this summer!
- Fresh seasonal ingredients! Sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado & lots of lime! If that doesn’t scream SUMMER then I don’t know what does!
- An easy make-ahead side dish! Mix it up the night before or the morning of! The longer this salad sits, the more flavorful it becomes!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More salad recipes you might like:
- Mexican Street Corn Kale Salad
- Grilled Asparagus Salad with Lemon & Feta
- Sweet Corn Salad with Peaches
- Black Bean Mango & Avocado Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Summer Corn Salad with Avocado
- 4 corn cobs (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ⅓ of a small red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (leaves & stems are ok)
- 3-4 limes, juiced (or enough to coat the salad)
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- To boil your corn: Shuck your corn cobs and bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add your corn cobs and boil for 1½ – 2 minutes. Then remove the corn from the pot and allow them to cool completely before cutting off the kernels.
- To make your corn salad: Next mix your corn kernels, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and lime juice together in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.)
- Top each individual bowl with your diced avocado and serve immediately.
Can I use sweetcorn from a can?
Thanks! Your recipe looks great.
Hi Denise! Thank you so much! And absolutely! I would just make sure to drain it completely before mixing it all together. 🙂