Wanna get away? Transport yourself back to the tropics with this easy & delicious spicy shrimp salad recipe! It’s only 6 ingredients and bursting with flavor!
Shrimp. Mango. Avocado. Lime… Don’t those words just scream summer to you?! Because they definitely do to me! And as the weather keeps warming up here, all I can think about are easy no fuss meals that taste delicious and require minimal prep work too. Well guess what babes? This spicy shrimp, mango and avocado salad is all three! It’s a super easy cold salad recipe that tastes like the tropics and made with just a handful of ingredients!
Ingredients for spicy shrimp, mango & avocado salad
When it comes to a great shrimp salad (or any salad for that matter) all you really need are a few simple ingredients!
- Raw shrimp: Use raw frozen shrimp for the best and easiest results. (Because we’re seasoning the shrimp before we cook it, I would not suggest using precooked shrimp.)
- Seasonings: Chili powder, paprika, salt and a touch of cayenne are all you need to spice up this shrimp salad recipe!
- Mango: Look for mangos that “give” slightly when you give them a gentle squeeze. This let’s you know they’re ripe and perfect for your shrimp salad!
- Avocado: Balances out your flavors and adds some creaminess to your salad.
- Red onion: Gives a little bit of texture to your shrimp salad! (I would recommend only using red onions for this. They’re a little sweeter than white or yellow onions and pair well with the rest of your ingredients.)
- Cilantro: Gives your shrimp salad an overall feel of freshness! (Not a fan of cilantro? Feel free to add as little or as much as you prefer!)
- Fresh lime juice: Used to coat your shrimp salad. (I would not recommend using store bought lime juice for this. Store bought juice tends to be sweeter than fresh lime juice and can completely change the falvor of your salad. Stick to fresh limes for this one!)
How to make spicy shrimp, mango & avocado salad
- Cook & cool your shrimp. Place your shimp in a large plastic bag and add your seasonings. Then shake the bag until the shrimp is fully coated. Next, cook your shrimp over medium high heat for 1-2 mintues on each side or until cooked all the way through. Place your shrimp in the fridge to cool completely.
- Prepare your other ingredients. Then chop your mangos, avocado, red onion and cilantro and add them to a large bowl.
- Prepare your salad. When the shrimp is cool, chop them into bite sized pieces and add them to the rest of your ingredients. Squeeze your desired amount of lime juice over the top and toss your salad until everything is fully coated.
- Serve! Place your shrimp salad in the fridge to chill or serve it immediately with your favorite tortilla chips!
This shrimp salad is best served cold so I would highly recommend letting it chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Why you’ll love this ceviche style shrimp salad recipe
- It’s light & refreshing! The colder this shrimp salad is – the better! I would suggest letting it chill for at least 30-minutes – 1 hour before serving for the best results!
- Minimal ingredients & prep time! Only 6 ingredients make up this tasty seafood salad! (Most of which I bet you already have at home!)
- Perfect for meal prepping! Whip up your shrimp salad over the weekend and have easy meal prepped lunches ready for the rest of the week! (Plus it makes a great protein-packed snack too!)
Serving ideas for spicy shrimp, mango and avocado salad
Struggling to know how the heck to serve this cold shrimp salad? I’ve got you covered! Here are a few of our favorite way to eat it!
- Serve it with chips! A true favorite around here! We love using tortilla chips or even plantain chips to keep to the island theme!
- Top it over some shredded lettuce or cabbage! Make it a true summer salad by adding some extra greens! (I personally love the added crunch that cabbage gives this salad. A little tip? Add more lime juice if going this route!)
- Wrap it up in a tortilla! Ceviche style tacos?? Sounds good to me! Just heat up your favorite tortillas and stuff them with shredded cabbage and your spicy shrimp salad.
- Serve it on a crispy tostada shell! Another one of my favorites! Spread a little mashed avocado over your tostada shell and pile your cold shrimp salad on top!
- Eat it by the spoonful! For the “lazier” palate (aka me😉), just sit down to a big ol’ bowl of this shrimp salad and eat to your little heart’s content!
When to serve your spicy shrimp, mango & avocado salad?? This simple ceviche style salad is perfect for a quick lunch, snack or even served as a hearty “appetizer” for a party! It’s also a great option to pack for a beach day or pool day to keep you full energized and refreshed!
More recipes like this:
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Jerk Shrimp with Mango Salsa
- Easy Chili Lime Shrimp Bowls
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Spicy Shrimp Mango & Avocado Salad
For the spicy shrimp:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don't want your shrimp spicy)
For the salad:
- 2 large mangos, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ¼ of a red onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 limes, juiced (you'll want to make sure you have enough to generously coat the salad)
To make the spicy shrimp:
- Pat your shrimp dry with paper towels and place them in a large plastic bag. Mix the chili powder, paprika, salt and cayenne together and pour them into the bag with your shrimp. Shake the bag until the shrimp are fully coated.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Once hot, spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add your shrimp. Cook the shrimp on one side for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 1-2 more minutes. Pour your cooked shrimp into a bowl and place them in the fridge to cool completely before adding them to your salad.
To make the salad:
- Add the diced mango, avocado, onion and cilantro to a large bowl. Then cut your cooled shrimp into bite sized pieces and add them to your salad.
- Next squeeze your lime juice over the top and toss the salad together until everything is fully coated. Serve with your favorite chips or eat it by the spoonful.