Crispy tostada shells are layered with avocado sauce, spicy shredded chicken, black beans & all your favorite taco toppings! They’re a quick & easy meal that’s perfect for your next taco night!
By now you all know we love Mexican inspired meals! And these spicy chicken tostadas with black beans have been a family favorite dinner lately! They’re quick, easy to make, super delicious and so versatile too! (Honestly, you can top them with just about anything and they’re soo good either way!)
We love making them for a quick dinner during the weeknights and even saving the leftovers for a yummy taco salad the next day! You really can’t go wrong with this chicken tostada recipe!
Ingredients For Spicy Chicken & Black Bean Tostadas
- Chicken tenders: Chicken tenders are the easiest to shred and take less time in the oven.
- Black beans: Use canned black beans for ease. (We try to use low sodium beans if possible.)
- Limes: You’ll need enough lime juice for your shredded chicken, avocado sauce and extra wedges to serve with your tostadas!
- Avocado cilantro sauce: A yummy mix of avocado, garlic, cilantro, lime & spices!
- Tostada shells: Store-bought or homemade tostada shells both work for this recipe. (Corn tortillas are the BEST!)
- Spices: Chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano, cumin, cayenne, salt & black pepper are all used to season your chicken.
- Your favorite taco toppings! The sky’s the limit here!
How To Make Spicy Chicken Tostadas With Black Beans
1. Make your avocado cilantro sauce. Add all your sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Then keep it stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
2. Prepare your toppings. Cut/prep your favorite taco toppings and keep them covered in the refrigerator while you prepare the chicken and black beans. (The chicken doesn’t take long to cook so it’s best to have your toppings done first.)
3. Cook your chicken. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Then add your chicken tenders, spices and lime juice to a bowl and toss until the chicken is fully coated. Arrange your chicken in the dish and bake for 15-17 minutes. Once done, shred the chicken with 2 large forks in the dish.
4. Warm your black beans. While the chicken is cooking, drain and rinse your black beans then heat them in a sauté pan until they’re warm throughout. Mix them into the dish with your chicken once it’s been shredded.
5. Assemble & serve! Layer each tostada shell with your avocado sauce, chicken & bean mixture and all your favorite toppings. Then serve immediately and enjoy!
Toppings & More!
There’s lots of ways you can top these chicken and black bean tostadas! Here are a few of our favorite toppings to help get you started:
- Shredded lettuce
- Pico de Gallo (fresh tomato salsa)
- Cotija cheese (or queso fresco)
- Chopped onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- Your favorite salsa!
Why you’ll love this chicken tostada recipe!
- Quick & inexpensive! Your chicken takes no time at all to cook & shred & the rest of your ingredients can easily be made beforehand! Use any ingredients you have on hand for your toppings too!
- Perfect for a group! This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a large group! You can keep the chicken & black beans in a crockpot on warm and turn the rest of your toppings into a fun taco bar!
- A healthy dinner option! Loaded with lean protein, healthy fats, veggies & carbs! (Use baked tostada shells if possible!)
- Easily made into tacos! Not a fan of tostadas? No problem! Use your chicken and black bean mixture as a filling for tacos instead! (Or make crunchy baked tacos using this method from my Chicken Carnitas Tacos recipe!)
More Mexican-inspired recipes you might like:
- The Best Shrimp Ceviche
- Crispy Shrimp & Poblano Tacos
- Black Bean Tostadas with Mexican Corn Salsa
- Crispy Chicken Carnitas Tacos
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Spicy Chicken Tostadas with Black Beans & Avocado Cilantro Sauce
For the spicy shredded chicken & black beans:
- 1½ lbs. chicken tenders
- 1 15oz. can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne (omit if you don't want it spicy)
- 1 lime, juiced
For the avocado cilantro sauce:
- 2 medium avocados (or 1 large avocado)
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped (leaves & stems are ok)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
For the tostadas:
- 6-8 tostada shells
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomatoes (or pico de gallo)
- Cotija cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- Lime wedges
To make the avocado cilantro sauce:
- Add all your ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Keep your sauce stored in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
To make the spicy chicken & black beans:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Then mix your spices together and set them aside.
- Next add your chicken tenders to a large bowl and pour your spices and lime juice over the top. Toss until the tenders are fully coated then arrange them in your prepared baking dish. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 15-28 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, heat your black beans on the stove over medium-high heat until they're warmed throughout.
- Once the chicken is done, use 2 forks to shred the tenders in the dish. Then stir your black beans into the shredded chicken.
To make the tostadas:
- Layer each tostada shell with your avocado sauce, chicken and black bean mixture and your favorite taco toppings. Serve immediately!