Loaded with shredded chicken, hearty beans, poblano peppers & lots of smokey spices! This chipotle chicken chili recipe is an easy crockpot meal that’s cozy & satisfying!
Chipotle Chicken Chili – you’re going to love this easy slow cooker meal! Chili is a staple in our house when the colder weather starts rolling in. And I’ve been dying to make a chicken chili for the longest time now! (Those of you that followed my social media stories know this chipotle chicken chili has been a labor of love.😉) I must have made it a good 5-6 times before deeming it was finally ready…and just in time for the end of soup season too!😊
It’s an easy crockpot dinner idea that’s full of bold smokey flavors with just the right amount of heat!
Ingredients For Your Chipotle Chicken Chili
- Shredded chicken: You can make your own or use store bought shredded chicken for ease!
- Canned beans: Black beans and dark red kidney beans go into your chili!
- Crushed tomatoes: You’ll need a 14oz. can of crushed tomatoes for this recipe.
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles: We prefer using fire roasted diced tomatoes if we can find them. (They have a fabulous smokiness that’s perfect for your chili!)
- Chicken broth: 1 cup of broth gives your chili the perfect saucy consistency.
- Poblano peppers: You’ll need at least 2 poblano peppers – deseeded and diced!
- Onion: White or yellow onion works the best!
- Spices: Chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, chipotle chile powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt are used to spice up your chicken chili!
How To Make Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Chili
1. Shred your chicken. Shred your cooked chicken (or grab your store bought shredded chicken) and add it to your crockpot.
2. Add the rest of your ingredients. Then add your drained kidney beans, black beans, diced poblanos, onion, diced tomatoes (not drained), crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and spices to the crockpot.
3. Cook. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
4. Serve! Garnish each bowl with chopped cilantro, green onion and cheddar cheese and serve immediately!
Make Your Own Shredded Chicken!
I love making my own shredded chicken when it comes to this chili recipe! (I just seems to taste so much better.😉) And it’s so easy too! You can make it a day before or even a few days in advance! I usually season mine with salt and pepper and cook it according to the times and temperatures listed below.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Cook at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes depending on their size. Shred them once done.
- Chicken Tenders: Cook at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Shred them once done.
- Boneless Skineless Chicken Thighs: Cook at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes depending on their size. Shred them once done.
Your chicken should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees once it’s done. (I personally prefer using chicken tenders because they’re easier to shred and require less cooking time.)
Make this chicken chili your own by adding your favorite toppings! We love using a mix of traditional chili toppings and our favorite taco fixings! Here are some ideas to help get you started:
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced green onion
- Chopped white onion
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Fresh lime wedges
- Tortilla strips
- Can I use ground chicken instead of shredded chicken? Absolutely! Using ground chicken will give this dish a more traditional chili feel. Simply cook your ground chicken in a skillet then add it to your slow cooker!
- Do I have to use smoked paprika? Yes! Smoked paprika has a very potent smokey flavor which is a necessity for this chicken chili!
- Can I freeze my chicken chili? Yes! Chicken chili is a great freezer meal! Simply pour your leftover chili into an airtight container or plastic freezer-safe bag and store it in the freezer. It should stay good for up to 3 months is stored properly.
Why you’ll love this slow cooker chicken chili recipe!
- Cozy & satisfying! Loaded with lots of shredded chicken, beans & peppers making this a hearty meal you can feel good about!
- One pot meal! Pour all your ingredients in the crockpot and let it do it’s thing! It’s one of our favorite “dump dinners” during the colder months & clean up is so easy!
- A different type of chili recipe! This crockpot dinner fuzes Mexican inspired ingredients & spicy chipotle seasonings with traditional chili flavors!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More soup recipes you might like:
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Italian Sausage Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Avocado Lime Soup
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Chili
- 1-1½ lbs. shredded chicken
- 15 oz. canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz. canned kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 poblano peppers, deseeded & diced
- 14.5 oz. canned fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles (not drained)
- 14 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ of a white onion
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1-1½ tsp chipotle chili powder (depending how spicy you want it)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, etc.
- Add your shredded chicken, kidney and black beans, diced poblanos, onion, diced tomatoes (not drained), crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and spices to your slow cooker.
- Then cover your slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once done, garnish each bowl with chopped cilantro, green onion and shredded cheese. Serve immediately!