Ceviche… just that word alone makes me crave summer! With it’s light citrus-y flavors and bright vibrant colors, how could you not want to stuff your face full of it while relaxing at the beach?! (At least that’s my dream anyways…) So you can bet this shrimp and avocado ceviche will definitely be my go-to meal during summer this year!
Before we get started, let me just say that this recipe is NOT authentic Mexican ceviche. It still has all the same great tasting qualities, but takes wayy less time and is slightly dumbed down for the every day cook (aka me!).
- Authentic ceviche: a seafood dish made with raw fish that’s cooked in lemon or lime juice with onions, tomatoes and various seasonings
- My non-raw version: chopped cooked shrimp that’s mixed with onions, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and drizzled with lime juice
Pretty similar right?
But I can’t stress to you how easy this recipe really is! Unlike authentic ceviche, this version doesn’t require any cooking time and because so, it takes just minutes to make! And the best part? It’s so versatile!
Here are some of my favorite ways to have it:
- Eat it with chips! (Beanfields and Late July has some great gluten free tortilla chip options)
- Wrap it up in a tortilla with some shredded cabbage and make tacos!
- Top it over tostadas!
- Ever tried it over nachos? (Yeah, it’s a thing! 😉 )
- Or even make ceviche lettuce wraps for a low carb option!
It’s such a great protein packed meal that’s so refreshing and perfect for summer! Ok loves, with all this talk about summer, I’m soo ready for the warm weather! Now who’s ready to hit up the beach?!
[As always, feel free to tag my social media if you make this! I love seeing all of your creations! 🙂 ] @kaleit_inthekitchen
Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche
- 1½ lbs. frozen cooked shrimp (jumbo size) (I used about 38 shrimp)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2-3 avocados
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thaw the shrimp and cut them into thirds. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped tomato, red onion, cilantro and lime juice to the bowl. Stir until everything is coated with lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: Top each bowl with avocado chunks, more lime and eat with tortilla chips.