Tender shrimp, lots of veggies, cilantro & creamy avocado all tossed in your favorite chunky salsa with fresh lime and served with tortilla chips! This Mexican style shrimp salad is loaded with flavor & an easy meal for those hot summer days!
Avocado Salsa Shrimp Salad! Aka where pico de gallo meets Mexican shrimp cocktail meets shrimp ceviche all wrapped into one…and holy moly is it delicious! It’s an incredibly easy salad recipe using the freshest of ingredients and only takes 10 minutes to make! Fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, lots of lime and avocado – it’s got it all!
Ingredients for Your Avocado Salsa Shrimp Salad
- Shrimp: Use pre-cooked shrimp to cut down on prep time. (If using frozen pre-cooked shrimp, make sure to thaw them completely before cutting and adding them to your salad.)
- Cucumber: Hot house or english cucumbers work the best for this recipe. (They have less seeds than regular cucumbers and don’t have a “waxy” skin.)
- Jalapeno: Deseed it! We just want the flavor of jalapeno and not the spice. (Your salsa will be spicy enough for this salad.)
- Tomatoes: Any type of tomatoes work for this recipe.
- Onion: Use red or white onion for the best results.
- Avocado: Adds a creamy element to cool down the spice from your salsa. (Look for avocados that are slightly underripe for the best results. If your avocado is too ripe with can become mushy when it’s mixed with the rest of your ingredients.)
- Cilantro: Always use the leaves and stems! (The stems are where all the flavor is at!)
- Salsa: Used as the “dressing” for your shrimp salad and adds a touch of heat with so much flavor! (Chunky salsa works the best!)
- Lime juice: Livens up your salad and elevates those flavors! (You can use as little or as much lime juice as you prefer.)
- Salt & black pepper: A generous sprinkle of salt and a pinch of pepper helps to bring out your flavors even more!
How To Make Avocado Salsa Shrimp Salad
- Prepare your shrimp. Pat your shrimp dry with a paper towel and cut them into bite size pieces. Then add your shrimp to a large bowl and set it aside. (If using frozen pre-cooked shrimp, thaw your shrimp completely before cutting and adding them to the bowl.)
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Deseed and finely chop your jalapeno then add it to the bowl with your shrimp. Next, chop your cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro and add them to the bowl.
- Mix the salad. Add your salsa and lime juice to the bowl and mix until the salad is evenly coated. Then season your salad with salt and pepper to taste and mix again. (Make sure to taste the salad as you go and adjust your seasonings and lime juice accordingly. You might need to add a little more of each depending on the type of salsa you use.)
- Serve! Right before serving, dice your avocado and sprinkle it over the top or mix it in to your salad. Serve your salad immediately with tortilla chips or let the salad chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. (If chilling the salad, wait to add your avocado until right before serving.)
Let’s Talk Salsa!
The type salsa you use will definitely make or break this dish! I highly reccommend using a salsa you already LOVE and would suggest keeping it tomato based to pair with the rest of your flavors. (That being said, if you’re feeling a little adventurous I’d imagine that a mango salsa would be AMAZING in this salad!) Keep in mind the spice level of your salsa too! If you love spicy food, I’d recommend using a medium or hot salsa. If spice isn’t your thing – mild salsa is the way to go! (My personal favorite salsa for this salad is Rojo’s Restaurant Style Salsa. It has amazing flavor and is just spicy enough without overdoing it.) Or you could be like my husband and add a pinch of cayenne to your finished salad to really kick up the heat!
What Do I Serve With My Shrimp Salad?
This easy shrimp and avocado salad is so good with so many things! Here’s a few of our favorite serving ideas to help get you started.
- Serve it with tortilla chips! (My favorite.😉)
- Scoop it over tostadas! (It’s so good with a thin layer of guacamole on the bottom!)
- Turn it into a fun appetizer & serve it with crostinis or sliced baguette!
- Spoon it over a bed of lettuce for a low carb opion!
- Eat it by the spoonful!
- Can I save my leftover avocado salsa shrimp salad? Yes! If you’re planning to save your shrimp salad, I would suggest picking out the avocado pieces before storing it. (Or not mixing the avocado in when you originally make it. Just leave it on top. The avocado will turn brown and look very unappealing if it’s left in. You can always add fresh avocado to your salad when you choose to eat it again.)
- How do I store my leftover shrimp salad? Place your shrimp salad in an airtight container and keep it stored in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- How long with my shrimp salad last in the fridge? Your salad should stay good for 3-4 days if stored correctly.
- Can I use fresh shrimp instead of pre-cooked shrimp? Yes! If using fresh shrimp, remove the shells from your shrimp and bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium high heat. Once boiling, add your shrimp and cook for 1½ – 2 minutes. Then transfer your shrimp to a bowl and place them in the fridge to cool completely.
Why you’ll love this avocado salsa shrimp salad recipe
- A super easy meal! Make this shrimp salad on Sunday & have it for lunches the rest of the week! It’s a great grab-and-go option for those busy work days!
- So refreshing! Crisp cucumbers, creamy avocado, fresh cilantro & vibrant salsa! This shrimp salad is the perfect meal to keep you cool on a hot summer day!
- Healthy & protein packed! Loaded with veggies and lean protein! Not only is this salad super tasty but it’s so good for you too!
More recipes you might like:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad
- The Best Shrimp Ceviche
- Spicy Shrimp Mango & Avocado Salad
- Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Crispy Chicken Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Avocado Salsa Shrimp Salad
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined & tail off
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, deseeded & finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp chunky salsa (mild, medium or hot)*
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 limes, juiced (or more if your prefer)
- Salt & black pepper, to taste (be generous with the salt)
- Pat your shrimp dry with a paper towel and cut them into bite size pieces. Then add them to a large bowl and set it aside. (If using frozen pre-cooked shrimp, thaw your shrimp completely before cutting and adding them to the bowl.)
- Next add your cucumber, jalapeno, tomaotes, red onion and cilantro to the bowl with your shrimp. Pour your salsa and a squeeze of lime juice over the top and mix until the salad is completely coated. Then generously season your salad with salt and a pinch pepper to taste and mix again. Taste and adjust your seasonings and lime juice accordingly.
- Sprinkle your avocado over the top right before serving and serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips. Or let the salad chill in the fridge for 30 minutes – 1 hour before serving. (If chilling the salad, wait to add your avocado until right before you serve.)