Warning!! These bars are not, I repeat NOT, for the faint of heart! While I love focusing on good wholesome foods with this blog, I’m not gonna lie, sometimes I just want a treat that’s rich, decadent and not the least bit healthy in any way. And that’s perfectly OK loves! Especially when it’s your dad’s birthday and he requests something “ooey and gooey” for his birthday dessert. Cue in these Reese’s peanut butter cheesecake brownies!
But I have a confession to make… I feel like I cheated with this one… And by that I mean I used a box mix for the brownie layer… (Ahh I know, I’m so sorry my fellow food bloggers!)
Usually whenever I see a recipe that involves some sort of box mix, I’m always like “NEXT!”, because I know that I can make something that’s 10x better. But today I just didn’t have the time or energy to pull out my mixer, melt all the chocolate and hassle with the oven to make my awesome homemade brownies. So I just settled for a box mix instead. (The most decadent one I could find mind you.) And after a little self convincing, I finally decided that this too was perfectly OK! In fact, I realized that it was actually fun coming up with different ways to dress up box mix brownies. (Hmm I’m feeling another idea for a post coming on…)
So while I thought I cheated, my whole family thought I was a freaking genius to create this layered dessert. Which just goes to show that not everything needs to be made from scratch in order to be good!
Here’s a few tips for layered desserts:
- FOLLOW DIRECTIONS! Don’t wing it. These directions are here for a reason and without them you won’t have any “layers.” (I might just be talking to myself on this one considering I make this mistake all. the. time!)
- Make sure the brownies are completely cool before pouring the ganache over them. If they’re still too hot or haven’t set then your ganache will start mixing with the cheesecake layer.
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix*
- 1 8oz package cream cheese (can substitute with reduced fat or fat free)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12oz bag milk chocolate chips (for chocolate ganache)
- 6 Tbsps heavy whipping cream (for chcolate ganache)
- Mini Reese’s, chopped (for topping)
- Combine ingredients for brownie batter according to package. Pour batter into a 9×13 pan that’s been lined with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add in peanut butter and condensed milk and beat until smooth. Pour cheesecake mixture over the brownie layer.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Once the brownies are done, refrigerate them to cool.
- While brownies are cooling, prepare the chocolate ganache. Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 15 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. (Stir in between each interval until it’s smooth.)
- Once the brownies are cool, pour the chocolate ganache over the cheesecake layer and spread it to completely cover the brownies. Sprinkle chopped Reese’s cups over the top. Refrigerate until ready to eat.