An easy cheese ball recipe loaded with 2 types of cheese, green onion & chopped pecans all enrobed in sweet pomegranate seeds! This pomegranate white cheddar cheese ball is such a fun & festive Christmas appetizer!
Holiday parties are in full force over here and I’m loving every single minute of it! There’s parties this weekend, parties next weekend (one of which we’re hosting 🤗) then there’s Christmas Eve and Christmas…ohh so many exciting things! And so much good food! One of my go-to festive party appetizers? This pomegranate white cheddar cheese ball! It’s so good and ridiculously easy to make!
Only 6 ingredients, you can make it ahead of time and the perfect combination of sweet and savory! (Everytime I unveil this beauty at a holiday party, I immediately start hearing all the ooo’s and ahhh’s. It’s like music to my ears!) Creamy, cheesy, stunning to look at – what more could you want in a Christmas appetizer?!
Ingredients For Your Pomegranate White Cheddar Cheese Ball
- Cream cheese: You’ll need one 8 ounce block of cream cheese for this recipe.
- White cheddar cheese: Use sharp or extra sharp white cheddar cheese for the best results. (I love the flavor of extra sharp cheddar cheese paired with your pomegranates. They’re so good together!)
- Green onion: Use the green and white parts for maximum flavor!
- Pecans: Adds texture and a slight nutty flavor to your cheese ball. (Try toasting them beforehand for even more nuttiness!)
- Salt: Just a pinch is needed to help bring out your flavors.
- Pomegranate seeds: My favorite part of this cheese ball! (They’re just so pretty and add amazing flavor!) Always use fresh pomegranate seeds if possible for the best results. They’re more vibrant and have much better flavor than already de-seeded store bought brands.
How to Make a Festive Christmas Cheese Ball
1. Mix your cheese ball ingredients together. Let the cream cheese soften to room temperature then add it to a large bowl. Next add your shredded cheddar cheese, chopped pecans, green onion and salt. Mix everything together and form the mixture into a large ball.
2. Chill! Lay plastic wrap on a flat surface and place your cheese ball in the center of it. Then take a few handfuls of your pomegranate seeds and gently press them all around the ball until it’s completely covered. (Try not to press too hard or the seeds will burst.) Once done, wrap the ball in your plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill. (You can chill it for a few minutes, a few hours or overnight.)
3. Serve. When you’re ready to serve, take the cheese ball out of the refrigerator and unwrap it. Then place it on a serving tray and serve it with an assortment of your favorite crackers.
To store leftovers: Place your cheese ball in an air tight container and keep it stored in the refrigerator. It should stay good for 1-2 weeks if stored properly.
There’s so many fun options to serve with your cheese ball! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Crackers: Any type of sea salt or multigrain crackers pair so well with this appetizer! (My personal favorite are Milton’s Gluten Free Crackers – so good!)
- Crostinis: Use store bought or homemade crostinis. (We’ll usually serve these when there’s A LOT of people we need to feed. They’re a little more filling than crackers.)
- Apple slices: Use sweeter apples like Honeycrisp or Fujis. (Their sweetness and crisp texture give a nice contrast to the bold flavors in your cheese ball!)
OR create a fun party platter with an assortment of each! Variety is always the key when it comes to a holiday appetizer party!
Tips & Variations
- Make sure your cheese ball is slightly soft before adding your pomegranates. (The pomegranates “stick” better and are easier to apply when the cheese is softer.)
- Use a cheese knife for serving to make it easier for your guests. (Most crackers tend to break when digging straight into this ball. Espeically if it’s served straight from the refrigerator.)
Or make this cheese ball your own with these simple swaps!
- Pomegranates: Try using dried cranberries instead!
- Pecans: Replace them with chopped walnuts or sliced almonds. (Or toast them in oven at 375 degrees for 5-6 minutes for more nutty flavor!)
I can’t find white cheddar cheese. Can I use regular cheddar instead? Yes! I’d still suggest using sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Why you’ll love this cheese ball recipe
- So easy! Only 6 ingredients & takes minutes to make! What could be better?!
- Bold flavors! Sharp cheddar cheese, toasty pecans, sweet pomegranates… You’re going to love all it’s sweet and savory components!
- A festive Christmas or Christmas Eve appetizer! Get ready for all the compliments because this cheese ball is stunning!
- Make it ahead of time! Form this cheese ball a few days in advance & keep it stored in the refrigerator. When it’s time to party – just unwrap it & serve!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
More appetizer recipes you might like:
- Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball
- Baked Cranberry Brie Bites
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Bites
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Pomegranate White Cheddar Cheese Ball
- 8 oz. block cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup pecans, chopped*
- ⅓ cup green onion, sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups pomegranate seeds (or enough to coat the cheese ball)
- Mix your cream cheese, cheddar cheese, pecans, green onion and salt together in a bowl. Then use your hands to form the mixture into a large ball.
- Next lay plastic wrap on a flat surface and place your cheese ball in the center of it. Take a few handfuls of your pomegranate seeds and gently press them all around the ball until it's completely covered. (Try not to press too hard or the seeds will burst.) Once done, wrap the ball in your palstic wrap and place it in the fridge to chill. (You can chill it for a few minutes, hours or overnight.)
- When you're ready to serve, take the cheese ball out of the refrigerator and unwrap it. Place it on a serving tray and serve with your favorite crackers.