Calling all peanut butter lovers – You NEED to make these ice cream sandwiches ASAP!
Alright loves, are y’all ready for the BEST summer dessert?? Good! Because these peanut butter rice krispie ice cream sandwiches are just what you need to beat-the-heat! So there’s a bit of a story that goes with these too. When Charlie and I were first dating he would go on and on about these ice cream sandwiches his family made every single year. (Apparently they were like a “Godsend”…I just thought he was overreacting.) But once I finally sank my teeth into one of those bad boys…oh man…peanut butter euphoria.😍 It was rich and creamy but still had that crunch from the cereal and just the right amount of sweetness too. Right then and there I KNEW I had to learn how they were made. Over the years I’ve made a few tweaks to his grandma’s original recipe but danggg are they still just as delicious! And better yet, they’re PRETTYMAN FAMILY APPROVED too! (Psst, Charlie’s last name is Prettyman.😉)
Ingredients for your ice cream sandwiches
- Rice Krispie cereal: Used as the base for your outer layers!
- Peanut butter: Almost any type of peanut butter works for this recipe! Regular, natural, flavored – I’ve made it with all of them!
- Honey: Adds sweetness and helps your rice krisipies to stick together!
- Ice cream: I’d suggest using vanilla or chocolate chip ice cream to cut the richness from your peanut butter.
How to make peanut butter rice krispie ice cream sandwiches.
- Mix your rice krispies, peanut butter and honey together in a bowl then press it into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Place your pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. (You want the cereal layer to be pretty frozen before adding your ice cream.)
- Next scoop out your ice cream and spread it over your rice krispie layer. Freeze it again until the ice cream is firm (at least 1 hour).
- Next mix your second layer of rice krispies, peanut butter and honey together and press it on top of your ice cream layer. Place it back in the freezer to set.
- Once it’s ready, cut your sandwiches into squares and serve immediately!
I know all the freezing and waiting can seem a bit tedious, but trust my loves it’s totally worth it in the end!
Tip: Let your ice cream thaw a little at room temperature before adding it to your dessert. This makes it easier to spread over your rice krispies!
How do I store my peanut butter rice krispie ice cream sandwiches?
There’s 2 ways to do it!
- Whole pan: Cover the entire pan with saran wrap and place it in the freezer.
- Individual sandwiches: Cut your dessert into squares, wrap them individually in saran wrap and keep them stored in the freezer for an easy grab and go dessert!
Why you’ll love this ice cream sandwich recipe
- So easy! Did I mention they’re only 4 ingredients?! Most of which I’m sure you already have in your house too. Just mix, plop, freeze and your done!
- Great to serve at parties! This recipe makes a lot, so I always love making these treats whenever we have guests over for a cookout or pool day.
- Fun & versatile! Switch up the ice cream with your favorite ice cream flavor! Or even try using a flavored peanut butter instead too!
Need it gluten free? Swap out the rice krispies and use gluten free crispy cereal instead!
Need it dairy free? Use your favorite dairy free ice cream!
More nut butter recipes you might like:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Bars
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
- Banana Pancake Donuts with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Cookies & Creme Oreo Blondies (Gluten free)
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Ice Cream Sandwiches
(You'll need to double the rice krispie recipe to make a full 9×13 pan)
For the ice cream sandwiches:
- 3 cups Rice Krispies*
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 container vanilla ice cream (or your favorite ice cream flavor)*
- Mix the rice krispies, peanut butter and honey together in a large bowl, then press the mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Place the pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Next scoop out your ice cream and spread it over your rice krispies to form an even layer. Place the pan back in the freezer for 1 hour or until the ice cream is firm.
- Once the ice cream is firm, mix together another batch of your rice krispies and press it on top of the ice cream to form the top layer. Place the pan back in the freezer until you're ready to eat.
- Cut and serve immediately!