Fun fact: I’ve never actually never made this recipe using vodka…but I’m still keeping the name because I like the way it sounds! So today I’m sharing with you all THE BEST pasta alla vodka and you are definitely not going to want to miss it loves!
This recipe is one of my all time FAVORITE pasta dishes and dare I say…the best pasta recipe ever?! Seriously though, it’s got a little bit of everything for everyone. It’s creamy, tomato-y, full of herbs and spice AND is packed with a ton of protein. But I think my most favorite thing about it (along with most of my recipes) is that it’s absolutely customizable to your needs/taste buds too!
Here’s a few different variations you could do:
- Like a lot of spice? Add more crushed red pepper!
- Don’t like it spicy? Don’t add any! (Or maybe only 1-2 shakes)
- Don’t like prosciutto? Try using pancetta or even bacon instead! (I wouldn’t suggest turkey bacon though as it doesn’t have the same consistency as regular bacon.)
- Not into any bacon type meats? This would also be amazing with Italian sausage or Italian chicken/turkey sausage too!
- Need a dairy free option? Simply sub the heavy cream for coconut cream or even almond milk. (Coconut cream with change the taste slightly and alomond milk will make a thinner sauce.)
- Needs to be gluten free? You’re in luck my friend! There’s soo many alternative pastas out there now that it’s so easy to substitute one that will work for you! My favorite brand so far is Banza pasta, but I would definitely check out your local grocery store to see what others you might like too.
- Not a fan of bow tie/farfalle pasta? Not to worry! Try mixing it up with different pasta shapes! (My top picks would be penne, rigatoni, rotini and cavatappi. Or maybe even some cute animal shapes if you’re in to that! 😛 )
- It says vodka, so I want VODKA! I feel ya babe. Just add a 3/4 cup of vodka to the recipe below and you’ll be set with one boozy meal! 😉
This meal is absolutely perfect for meal prepping too! I’ve been able to make it for dinner one night and still have enough left over for 3 lunches during the week! Or even try freezing it! This should last for at least 2 weeks in the freezer if you want to save it for a later date.
Have a lot of guests coming over? No worries! Serve it at your next potluck too! We love pairing this meal with a crisp green side salad and some garlic bread for a well rounded meal. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve been asked for this recipe after making it for friends.
Here are a few other serving suggestions to pair with it too:
- sauteed green beans
- roasted broccoli (My personal favorite!)
- kale salad (Check out my fabulous citrus kale salad!)
- roasted artichokes
- serve it as a side to grilled chicken or shrimp
- wine…or vodka 😉
Either way, I know you and your guests are going to love this dish!
[Don’t forget to tag my social media if you make any of my recipes. I love seeing your recreations!] @kaleit_inthekitchen
Pasta alla Vodka
- 1 box bow tie/farfalle pasta*
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream**
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 packages prosciutto, chopped***
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ Tbsp dried basil
- 1½ Tbsp dried parsley
- 3-4 "shakes" red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional: ½ cup vodka
- Fill a large pot with water and cook pasta according to directions. Set aside when done.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft. (About 2-3 minutes) Then add the chopped prosciutto and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until for 2-3 more minutes.
- Turn the burner down to medium and add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, basil, parsley and red pepper flakes. Cook for 15 minutes. (Sauce will be very thick by the end.)
- Add the cream and stir until it's fully combined. Pour over the pasta and serve with some parmesan cheese and fresh basil!