Fluffy egg whites are loaded with crispy bacon bits, parmesan cheese & fresh chives with a runny yolk in the center! This egg clouds recipe is easy, fun & perfect for Sunday brunch!
Egg clouds, cloud eggs, eggs in a cloud, fluffy pillows of cheesy bacony deliciousness…whatever you want to call them. These bacon parmesan and chive egg clouds are about to change the way you do breakfast! They’re easy, cheesy and so delicious!
What Are Egg Clouds?
Eggs clouds are a fun breakfast dish that really live up to their name. The egg whites are whipped and mixed with cheese and herbs then baked, topped with an egg yolk and baked again until golden brown! They’re super light and fluffy, crispy on the edges and have a perfect runny yolk in the center.
Ingredients For Your Egg Clouds
- Eggs: Use large or extra large eggs for the best results.
- Bacon: Homemade bacon bits or store bought bacon bits both work for this recipe!
- Parmesan: We always buy a block of parmesan cheese and shred it ourselves. (It has much better flavor than most preshredded parmesan brands.)
- Chives/Green onion: Chives are smaller and can be a little hard to find depending on where you live. (We usually use green onion instead since we always have some on hand.) Both work for this recipe though!
- Spices: Salt and black pepper are all you need to season your egg clouds!
How To Make Cloud Eggs In The Oven
1. Preheat your oven. Turn your oven on to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Separate your eggs. Then crack each egg and separate the whites from the yolks. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and place each yolk in a separate small ramekin. (We’ll be adding the yolks to our partially cooked egg whites later.)
3. Beat the egg whites. Then use an electric mixer to beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form (about 2 minutes).
4. Add your mix-ins. Gently fold in your bacon bits, parmesan cheese and green onion/chives.
5. Prepare your egg clouds. Spoon 4 mounds of your egg white mixture onto your prepared baking sheet and make a small well in the center of each.
6. Bake. Then place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Once done, remove the pan from the oven and place one yolk in the center of each well. Return the pan back to the oven and cook for 3-5 more minutes or until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
7. Serve! Season your eggs with salt and pepper (if desired) and serve immediately!
Bacon and parmesan cheese shouldn’t have all the fun! There’s so many options when it comes to add-ins for these egg clouds! Here are a few of our favorites to help get you started:
- Meats: Cooked sausage, cooked pancetta or prosciutto, diced ham or Canadian bacon
- Veggies: Sauteed peppers & onions, chopped spinach & sun-dried tomatoes
- Cheeses: Cheddar, asiago, feta or mozzarella
- Herbs: Chopped cilantro or parsley
A good rule of thumb is to add 1 Tbsp per egg of each ingredient you want.
Tips For Making The Best Egg Clouds
- Always separate your egg yolks into their own individual ramekins! This way if one of them breaks, you won’t loose ALL of your egg yolks.
- Be gentle when folding in your ingredients. These egg whites can deflat very easily if they’re over worked so it’s best to mix until they’re just combined. (I usually do 3-4 “turns” with the spatula and that’s it!)
- Try not to overcook your egg whites! They can become very chewy and deflated.
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Yes! Any add-ins you wish to use can easily be prepped a few days in advance.
- Can you freeze egg clouds? No, cooked eggs should never be frozen. They lose their consistency and the texture is very off-putting.
Why you’ll love this cloud eggs recipe
- Fancy & fun! These egg clouds look super complicated to make but they’re actually soo easy! You’ll be impressing your guests in no time!
- Mix & match your ingredients! Not a fan of parmesan? Swap it out for a different cheese! Love ham in your eggs? Use ham pieces instead of bacon! There’s so many ways to make these egg clouds you’ll never get bored!
- Perfect for a crowd! It’s easy to make a large amount of these eggs for a group because they’re all made in the oven. Just whip, mix, bake & you’re done! They’d be perfect for an Easter brunch, Mother’s day or an easy breakfast for Christmas morning!
Need them gluten free? Great news, they already are!
Need them dairy free? Replace the parmesan with your favorite dairy free parmesan or other dairy free cheese. Or omit the cheese entirely! (We love using Trader Joe’s Shredded Parmesan Cheese Alternative. It’s so good!)
More breakfast recipes you might like:
- Pesto Egg Clouds
- Stuffed Bagel Bites
- Sourdough French Toast Casserole with Blueberries
- Lemon French Toast with Blueberry Compote
- Cinnamon Peach Banana Bread
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Bacon Parmesan & Chive Egg Clouds
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup bacon, crumbled
- ¼ cup green onions or chives, sliced
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then carefully separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Place the whites in a large mixing bowl and place each yolk in a separate small ramekin. (This makes it easier to add the yolks to your egg whites later.)
- Next use an electric mixer to beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. (About 2 minutes.) Then gently fold in your parmesan cheese, bacon bits and green onion.
- Spoon 4 mounds of your egg white mixture onto your prepared baking sheet and make a small well in the center of each with the back of a spoon.
- Then place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Once done, remove the pan from the oven and place a yolk in the center of each well. Then return the pan back to the oven and cook for 3-5 more minutes or until the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve with extra sliced green onions sprinkled on top.