Fluffy egg whites loaded with crispy bacon bits, parmesan cheese & fresh chives with a runny yolk in the center! This easy egg clouds recipe is about to become your favorite breakfast!
Egg clouds, cloud eggs, eggs in a cloud, fluffy pillows of cheesy bacony deliciousness…whatever you want to call them. These bacon parmesan and chive egg clouds are about to change the way you do breakfast! They’re easy, cheesy and absolutely delicious!
What Are Egg Clouds?
Eggs clouds are a fun breakfast dish that really live up to their name. The egg whites are whipped and mixed with cheese and herbs then baked, topped with an egg yolk and baked again until golden brown! They’re super light and fluffy, crispy on the edges and have a perfect runny yolk in the center.
Ingredients For Your Egg Clouds
- Eggs: We usually use large or extra large eggs for this recipe.
- Parmesan: Use fresh parmesan and grate it yourself for the best results.
- Bacon: Home cooked bacon or store bought bacon bits both work well! (We prefer the flavor of homemade bacon but bacon bits are great if you’re busy or short on time.)
- Chives/Green onion: Adds texture and helps elevate your egg clouds to the next level!
- Salt & black pepper: Puts the finishing touch on your egg clouds.
How To Make Cloud Eggs In The Oven
- Preheat your oven. Turn your oven on to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate your eggs. Then crack each egg and separate the whites from the yolks. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and place each yolk in a separate small ramekin. (This makes it easier to add the yolks to your egg whites later.)
- Beat the egg whites. Then use an electric mixer to beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. (About 2 minutes.)
- Add your mix-ins. Gently fold in your parmesan cheese, bacon bits and green onion.
- Prepare your egg clouds. Spoon 4 mounds of your egg white mixture onto your prepared baking sheet and make a small well in the center of each.
- Bake. Then place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Once done, remove the pan from the oven and place a yolk in the center of each well. Then return the pan back to the oven and cook for 3-5 more minutes or until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
- Serve! Serve immediately!
Don’t stop at bacon and parmesan! There’s so many options when it comes to add-ins! Here are a few of our favorites to help get you started:
- Meats: Cooked sausage, cooked pancetta or prosciutto, diced ham & Canadian bacon
- Veggies: Sauteed peppers & onions, chopped spinach & sundried tomatoes
- Cheeses: Cheddar, asiago, feta & mozzarella
- Herbs: Chopped cilantro & parsley
A good rule of thumb is to add 1 Tbsp per egg of each ingredient you want.
Tips For Making The Best Egg Clouds
- Always place your yolks in separate smaller ramekins! This way if one of them breaks you won’t loose the rest of your egg yolks.
- Be gentle when folding in your ingredients. These egg whites can deflat very easily if they’re over worked so it’s best to mix until they’re just combined.
- Don’t over cook your egg whites! They can become very chewy and deflated.
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Yes! Any add-ins you wish to use can easily be prepped a few days in advance.
- Can you freeze egg clouds? No, cooked eggs should never be frozen. They lose their consistency and the texture is very off-putting.
Why you’ll love this cloud eggs recipe
- Fancy & fun! These egg clouds look super complicated to make but they’re actually soo easy! You’ll be impressing your guests in no time!
- Mix & match your ingredients! Not a fan of parmesan? Swap it out for a different cheese! Love ham in your eggs? Use ham pieces instead of bacon! There’s so many ways to make these egg clouds you’ll never get bored!
- Perfect for a crowd! It’s easy to make a large amount of these eggs for a group because they’re all made in the oven. Just whip, mix, bake & you’re done! They’d be perfect for an Easter brunch, Mother’s day or an easy breakfast for Christmas morning!
Need them gluten free? Great news, they already are!
Need them dairy free? Replace the parmesan with your favorite dairy free parmesan or other dairy free cheese. Or omit the cheese entirely! (We love using Trader Joe’s Shredded Parmesan Cheese Alternative. It’s so good!)
More breakfast recipes you might like:
- Pesto Egg Clouds
- Stuffed Bagel Bites
- Sourdough French Toast Casserole with Blueberries
- Lemon French Toast with Blueberry Compote
- Cinnamon Peach Banana Bread
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Bacon Parmesan & Chive Egg Clouds
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup bacon, crumbled
- ¼ cup green onions or chives, sliced
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then carefully separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Place the whites in a large mixing bowl and place each yolk in a separate small ramekin. (This makes it easier to add the yolks to your egg whites later.)
- Next use an electric mixer to beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. (About 2 minutes.) Then gently fold in your parmesan cheese, bacon bits and green onion.
- Spoon 4 mounds of your egg white mixture onto your prepared baking sheet and make a small well in the center of each with the back of a spoon.
- Then place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Once done, remove the pan from the oven and place a yolk in the center of each well. Then return the pan back to the oven and cook for 3-5 more minutes or until the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve with extra sliced green onions sprinkled on top.