Seasoned chicken tenders, juicy peaches and red onion are skewered together, baked and slathered with your favorite bbq sauce! These baked bbq chicken skewers are everything you love about grilled food just made in the oven!
Too intimadated to grill? Or just looking for an easy weeknight dinner? I’ve got you covered with these incredibly easy baked bbq chicken & peach skewers! I feel like I’m always in the mood for bbq. (Can anyone else relate?) Whether it’s in the heat of summer, transitioning to fall or even during those freezing winter temperatures, nothing warms my soul more than big plate of bbq chicken.😊 But in all honesty…sometimes actually grilling the chicken sounds like so much work. (Or the weather just doesn’t permit it.) That’s why these oven baked skewers are so perfect all year round! You still get that crispy slightly charred taste like you would from the grill BUT in much less time and with less clean up too!
Ingredients for baked bbq chicken & peach skewers
- Chicken tenders: I love using chicken tenders for this recipe because they cook fast and don’t dry out as easily as breasts do.
- Fresh peaches: Try using ripe or slightly underripe peaches for this recipe. (It’s ok if the peaches are slightly underripe because the baking process with soften them and bring out their natural sweetness.) Do not use canned peaches for this recipe!
- Red onion: Adds color and texture to your skewers. You can also use white onion instead.
- BBQ seasoning: Use your favorite bbq seasoning for this recipe! (Can be homemade or store bought.)
- BBQ sauce: We love using Stubbs Sweet Heat Sauce for these chicken skewers! (It gives them that little touch of heat to really put them over the top.😉) But feel free to use your favorite bbq sauce instead.
How to make bbq chicken skewers in the oven
- Preheat your oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare your ingredients. Cut your chicken into 1 inch pieces and add them to a large plastic bag. Then add your bbq seasoning and shake the bag until the chicken is completely coated. Pour your chicken in a bowl and set it aside. Next cut your peaches and onion into 1 inch pieces and place them in separate bowls.
- Make your skewers. Thred the skewers with your seasoned chicken, peaches and onion, alternating between each. (I usually do 2 chicken pieces together, 1 peach chunk and 2 onion pieces then repeat that order.)
- Bake. Place your skewers on the prepared broiler pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Broil. Once they’re done, brush your bbq sauce over the skewers (or just the chicken pieces) and broil them on high for 2-3 minutes. (Or until they’re just slightly charred.)
- Serve! Serve immediately with extra bbq sauce on the side.
Do I use metal or wooden skewers?
Both work for this recipe! Because there’s no open flame, there’s also no need to pre-soak your wooden skewers in water too! (Normally we would if we were grilling these.) So feel free to use whichever you have on hand! (I personally love using metal skewers just because the wood tends to splinter off when you’re threading the ingredients.)
Can I use different fruit besides peaches?
Absolutely! This recipe would also be amazing with fresh pineapple or even fresh mango too!
Tips for making the best bbq chicken & peach skewers
- Always clean your chicken tenders before seasoning! Some tenders have a film over them that can easily be removed by pulling it off. It also might be a good idea to cut out the tendon (the little white part sticking out from your chicken) too because it can become tough and chewy after it’s been cooked.
- Try to cut all your ingredints in similar sizes! This helps them to cook evenly.
Why you’ll love this oven baked chicken skewer recipe
- No grilling required! While I love grilled food, sometimes using the grill just isn’t an option. Now you can still get that same great taste while using your oven instead!
- Quick & easy! Chop, season, thread & bake! With this recipe, dinner is on the table in no time at all!
Need it gluten free? Make sure to use a gluten free bbq sauce! (My favorite brand is Stubbs.)
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Baked Balsamic Chicken with Caprese Salsa
- Oven Baked Cranberry BBQ Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Kabobs
- Loaded BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken & Peach Skewers
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 Tbsp bbq seasoning*
- 2 large peaches, largely diced
- ½ of a red onion, largely diced
- ¾ cup bbq sauce (plus more for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then place your chicken pieces and bbq seasoning in a large plastic bag, seal it and shake it until the chicken is completely coated. Pour your chicken in a large bowl and grab your skewers.
- Next thread the skewers with your seasoned chicken, peaches and red onion, alternating between each. Place the skewers on your prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once done, brush the chicken with your bbq sauce and broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until they reach your desired crispiness. Serve immediately with extra bbq sauce on the side.