Cheesy, creamy and so easy to make! This simple one pot dish is a mac and cheese lover’s dream!
Nothing says comfort like a big ol’ bowl of cheesy macaroni and cheese! (Am I right or am I right?! 😉 ) Bonus points if it’s made a little healthier though… And even more bonus points if you can make in less than 15 minutes too! Well you’re in luck babes because that’s exactly what this easy one pot broccoli mac and cheese is all about! It’s rich, creamy, made with no flour/butter and is perfect for a tasty weeknight dinner!
- Dry pasta: I personally love using rotini pasta for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite short pasta instead. (A few other great options would be options penne, farfalle (bowtie) or elbow pasta too!)
- Milk: Adds creaminess to your mac and cheese and is also used to help cook your pasta.
- Water: Used to cook your pasta and broccoli.
- Cheddar cheese: Provides that cheesy ooey gooey goodness that we all love about mac and cheese! (You can use mild, sharp or even white cheddar too for this recipe!)
- Broccoli: Adds some veggies and a little pop of color to your dish.
- Seasonings- ground mustard, salt & pepper: Elevates your flavors and ties it all together!
How to make one pot broccoli mac & cheese
This dish couldn’t be any simplier loves! (Which is probably why it’s one of my go-to meals whenever I’m craving a little comfort food.) Just follow these quick and easy steps below:
- Pour your milk, water, pasta and salt into a large pot and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduced it to a simmer and allow the pasta to simmer for 8-10 minuets or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. (This is the key to getting that perfect gooey macaroni and cheese consistency.)
- Then add your broccoli and cook for an additional 1½ – 2 minutes. (Depending on how tender you want the broccoli.)
- Once the broccoli is cooked to your liking, take the pot off the stove and add your grated cheese, ground mustard and pepper to taste. Stir everything together until the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve immediately!
Toppings & Variations
You don’t need to stop at broccoli when it comes to toppings and mix-in’s! Here are a few of my favorite things to add to this dish too:
- Chopped/shredded chicken
- Crumbled bacon bits
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
Need a gluten free version? Simply replace the regular pasta with your favorite gluten free pasta and follow the same directions as below. (Some pastas do take longer to cook than others so it might help to look at the directions on the box to know if you need to adjust your cooking time.)
Tips for making one pot broccoli mac & cheese
- Cut your broccoli florets into small bite sized pieces! If you prefer your broccoli a little more on the soft side and not so “crisp” then I would definitely suggest sutting them smaller. The smaller they are, the less time they’ll take to cook too.
- Make sure most of the liquid has been absorbed before you add the broccoli! Broccoli gives off a ton of water when it’s being cooked so if there’s too much water in the pot before you add it, your pasta can become a little soupy.
- Add more milk to your mac and cheese if it’s too dry! Sometimes too much liquid can be absobed by your pasta which can result in it being dry. (You’ll know it’s too dry if your cheese is having a hard time melting and forming a “sauce.” If that happens, just keep adding milk a little bit at a time until your reach your desired consistency.
- REHEATING INSTRUCTIONS: Place your cold mac & cheese in a large pot and heat it over medium high heat on the stove. (The pasta will solidify slightly when it’s stored in the fridge so you might need to break it up a bit with a spatula.) As it begins to warm up, add a splash of milk and give it a few stirs. Continue to do this until the pasta is warm and you reach your desired consistency.
More recipes you might like:
- Once Pot Macaroni & Cheese
- One Pot Hatch Green Chile Mac & Cheese
- Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- Easy Lemon Basil Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
One Pot Broccoli Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups dry rotini pasta
- 2 cups milk (regular or dairy free)*
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1¾ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pour the milk, water, pasta and salt into a large pot and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Then turn the heat down to medium and let the pasta simmer for 8-10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been aborbed. (This is very important!)
- Next add your broccoli and cook for an additional 2 mintues. (The broccoli will give off a lot of water while it's cooking so make sure there is very little liquid in the pot before adding it.)
- Once the broccoli is cooked to your liking, take the pot off the stove and add your cheese, ground mustard and pepper to taste. Stir until the cheese has completely melted. Serve immediately!