What’s your favorite girl scout cookie?? I’ve always been obsessed with samoas for as long as I can remember. That toasted coconut-y flavor… the subtle sweetness you get from the caramel… and a crunchy cookie base all enrobed in a rich chocolate drizzle… I mean, it’s hard NOT to get aroused by that description isn’t it?! So how could you possibly improve on something so sultry? Make them with only 5 ingredients and call them NO BAKE samoa cookie bars!
That’s right my friends, only 5 INGREDIENTS!
- Shredded coconut
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
- Salt (just a pinch)
Boom, done! It’s a masterpiece… 🙂
But the best part about these little guys is that they’re no bake which makes them absolutely perfect for summer! (I mean really now, who wants to spend 30 minutes standing next to a hot oven in the middle of 100 degree weather?! NOT this gal, that’s for sure!) All you need is a freezer and a decent blender to make these beauts!
Tips for making samoa cookie bars:
- Soak your dates! This part is crucial to the base layer because it helps us to easily discard “skins”. Date “skins” are the outer layer of the date that tends to flake off after being soaked. It’s better to take these skins off before processing the dates because they can cause the base layer to become more dense/chunky than what we would like. (We’re looking for a smoother more combined texture.)
- Toast the coconut! Not only does this add to the original samoa cookie flavor, but it also stands up more to the dates when blended. (It only takes 5 minutes in the oven… you can handle the heat for that short amount of time! 😉 )
- Use parchment paper to line the bottom of your pan! Parchment paper is my saving grace when it comes to recipes like this! I used to put whatever I was making in the pan without anything underneath it and then ALWAYS had one HELL of a time trying to get it out… It’s such a breeze with parchment paper though! Just cut a piece that’s slightly bigger than your pan and now you have handles to lift your goodies out with.
- Paleo/Whole 30?! These bar cookies are PERFECT for you! The only variation you need is to use dairy free chocolate chips in place of regular ones. (My favorite brand to use is Enjoy Life Foods.)
So you see, this recipe is one that just can’t be beat! It’s a healthy dessert that can easily be made allergy friendly (gluten free, dairy free, etc.), there’s no baking time required and they’ll help keep you cool during those hot summer months coming up!
Dare I say it, but these might actually be better than original girl scout cookies… (Might being the key word here! I’ll still easily down a box of samoas at the beginning of cookie season! 😛 ) I hope you enjoy them just as much as I do babes!
[Please feel free to tag my social media if you make any of these recipes! I love seeing your creations! @kaleit_inthekitchen ]
No Bake Samoa Cookie Bars
- 1 cup dates, pitted (about 13-15 dates)*
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips**
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Place dates in a bowl with hot water and soak for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour. Once done, drain the water and discard the skins. Set them aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the coconut out on a baking sheet that's been lined with parchment paper. Toast coconut in the oven for 5 minutes then transfer to a food processor.
- Add the salt to the food processor and pulse a few times. Add the dates and pulse until fully combined.
- Press date mixture into the bottom of a 9×5 inch loaf pan that's been lined with parchment paper and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave at 30 second intervals. Pour chocolate over the frozen date mixture and spread it to all the corners. Place back in the freezer until your ready to eat.
- To pit the dates: Cut them in half and discard the seed