Happy National Donut Day! Would you believe me if I told you I bought a donut pan specifically for this holiday? (A regular sized pan anyways…I already had a mini one.) But you better believe it babes! 😉 There was no way I was passing today up and not sharing with you all my baked lemon blueberry donuts with lemon frosting!
But first a quick raise of hands… How many of you LOVE donuts? Ok now how many of you don’t eat them nearly as often as you would (or should) because they’ll “ruin your diet”? Well guess A-GAIN! These donuts here are refined sugar free, loaded with protein and have a light and airy texture that makes eating a crap ton one easy feat! (And definitely warranted 😛 ) Plus they’re baked too – so there’s no extra oil/fat needed!
Of course there’s always room for variations so I’ve provided a few healthy swaps for you below:
- Sweetener: I used maple syrup for this recipe but you can also use honey or agave as well. (Note: Using honey may slightly alter the taste since it’s much more floral in taste than syrup.)
- Greek Yogurt: Don’t have plain OR maybe you just don’t like plain yogurt? No problem! You can also use flavored yogurt too! (I’d suggest using either lemon or vanilla.)
- Protein Powder: This add-in is completely optional! These donuts already have quite a bit of protein in them from the greek yogurt, but if you want to up it even more then definitely mix it in. (Use either a vanilla or non-flavored powder.)
- Frosting & Glaze: My favorite part… 🙂 Originally I pictured this donut being enrobed in a tangy lemon glaze (kinda like those old fashioned donuts I used to get when I was little). But after my first attempt at it, I soon realized I wanted my frosting a tad bit thicker. SO I’ve included directions down below for both!
(You’re welcome glaze lovers! 😉 )
My family absolutely loved these little beauties so I know you will too! My only question for you now is…what kind of DONUTS are you having today?! 🙂
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I’d love to see what you create!]
Lemon Blueberry Donuts
For the Donuts:
- 1½ cup flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt*
- 2 Tbsps coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- Optional: 1 Tbsp protein powder/collagen**
For the Thick Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice***
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsps lemon juice***
To make donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a medium donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and protein powder (if using). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the syrup, eggs, yogurt and coconut oil. Pour these wet ingredients into your flour mixture and mix with a large spoon until just combined. Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries.
- Fill the donut pan about 2/3 full and bake for 10-12 minutes. Once done, take the donuts out of the pan and place them on a cooling rack. Let donuts cool completely before frosting them!
To make lemon frosting:
- Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl and whisk them together until a thick "frosting" forms. (See below for directions on glaze vs frosting.)
- Take the donuts and dip each one into the frosting. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest and serve!