Bright, zesty & full of flavor! This homemade kale pesto is so easy & only 9 ingredients! Try it on pasta, pizza, sandwiches & more!
I love making this pesto recipe whenever I have leftover kale in the fridge. It’s so simple, bright, nutty and perfect for when basil is out of season too. (Plus kale has A TON of health benefits so it’s like a double whammy!😉)
This recipe is only 9 ingredients and comes together super fast. You can toss it with your favorite pasta, slather it on sandwiches or spoon it over eggs for a tasty breakfast! It’s so versatile! We love using leftovers the next day or freezing it for later.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Kale: Green curly kale or lacinato kale work the best! (We’re only using the leaves, not the stems.)
Fresh basil: Pack the basil leaves in your cup when measuring for maximum flavor! (Some stems are ok too.)
Olive oil: We use Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil for ours. (It’s more mild in flavor and won’t overpower your other ingredients.)
Parmesan cheese: Use shredded or grated parmesan cheese! (We always buy a block of parmesan and shred it ourselves.)
Pine nuts: Gives your pesto it’s traditional nutty flavor! Try toasting the pine nuts to amp up the flavor!
Lemon juice: Use fresh lemon juice for the best results. (Most bottled lemon juices have additives that can change the flavor of your pesto.)
Garlic: You’ll need 2 garlic cloves for this recipe.
Spices: Salt and black pepper are needed to season your pesto!
How To Make Kale Pesto
1. Blend. Place all your pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend together until smooth. Then taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed. (Sometimes we’ll add an extra squeeze of lemon too.)
2. Use. Use immediately in your favorite recipes!
Keep your leftover pesto stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator. It should stay good for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the pesto for up to 2 months.
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Homemade Kale Pesto
- 1 cup kale leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ cup olive oil (We use Extra Light Tasting Oil.)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted (see Notes for toasting instructions)*
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Then taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed.
- Use immediately or keep it stored in the refrigerator.