Loaded with spicy chicken sausage, sweet butternut, white beans & kale then topped with lots of shredded parmesan! This sausage butternut squash kale soup is bold in flavor & the perfect cozy weeknight meal!
Italian sausage butternut squash kale soup – I feel like that’s such a mouthful to say!😂 But oh man, is it delicious! This dish is one of my favorite homemade soups and it’s such an easy and healthy meal during the colder months. It’s loaded with spicy sausage, fresh seasonal veggies and topped with a generous helping of shredded parmesan cheese!
Made in one pot, takes around 30 minutes and most of the ingredients can easily be prepped beforehand! It’s perfect for a simple weeknight dinner and any leftovers can be packaged up and used for lunches throughout the week!
Ingredients For Your Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
- Italian sausage: We love using bulk ground Italian chicken sausage but ground pork or ground turkey sausage will work too! (You’ll need 1 pound of sausage.)
- Butternut squash: This recipe calls for 3 cups of butternut squash (roughly half a large squash). Try to cut your squash pieces around the same size when cutting so they cook more evenly.
- Kale: Curly green kale works the best! You can add as little or as much as you want to your soup.
- White beans: I’d suggest using cannellini beans or northern beans for this recipe. (You’ll need one 15 ounce can.)
- Chicken broth: Used as the base for your soup! You’ll need about 6 cups of broth. (Vegetable broth or bone broth can be used instead.)
- Diced tomatoes: I love using fire roasted tomaotes when I can find them. (They have a great slightly smokey flavor that’s perfect for this soup!)
- Onion: We use white onion for our but yellow or red onion can be used too.
- Garlic: You’ll need 4 cloves of garlic for this recipe.
- Spices: Salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes are used to spice up your soup!
How To Make Sausage Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
- Prepare your ingredients. Peel and dice your butternut squash. Then chop your kale leaves and onion, mince your garlic and drain and rinse your beans.
- Sauté your ingredients. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and spray it with cooking spray. Once hot, add your onion and garlic and cook until tender. (About 1-2 minutes) Then add your ground sausage and season it with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles as you go. (About 5-7 minutes)
- Boil your squash. Add your chicken broth and red pepper flakes to the pot and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, add your diced butternut squash and cannellini beans then cover and bring it back to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until the squash is tender. (Your squash should pierce easily with a sharp knife once done.)
- Add your remaining ingredients. Once the squash is done, stir in your diced tomatoes (not drained). Five minutes before serving, add your chopped kale and stir until the kale just begins to wilt. Then generously season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve! Ladle the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over the top. Enjoy!
Take this homemade soup over the top with some yummy toppings and garnishes! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Cheese: Parmesan, asiago & pecorino cheese are all great options!
- Croutons: Homemade croutons are the best! (Plus they add texture to your soup.)
- Crispy aromatics: Slightly fried shallots or sliced garlic pair so well with the rest of your flavors!
This hearty soup is so good served with a warm crusty baguette or toasty bread slices!
Storing & Reheating
- Storing: Pour your leftover soup into an airtight container and keep it stored in the refrigerator. It should stay good up to 2-3 days if stored properly.
- Reheating: Pour your desired amount of soup into a saucepan and heat it over medium heat until it reaches your desired temperature. (A few of my family members didn’t like the texture of the kale the next day. If you’re the same way, then I’d suggest discarding the leftover kale leaves in your soup and adding freshly chopped kale once your soup is warm.)
I can’t find ground sausage! What do I do? Fresh sausage links can be used instead! You’ll just have to squeeze the sausage out of it’s casing.
How long does this soup take to cook? It should take about 30-35 minutes from start to finish. (Cooking times may vary depending on your stove and the size of your diced butternut squash.)
Can I prep anything beforehand? Asbolutely! You can peel, deseed and dice your butternut squash, cut your kale and dice your onion. Just keep them stored in separate containers or plastic bags in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make your soup. They should stay good for 1-2 days.
Why you love this sausage butternut squash kale soup recipe!
- An easy all-in-one meal! Loaded with protein, lots of veggies & cooked in one pot! Serve it with some warm crusty bread for a well-rounded meal!
- So much flavor! Spicy sausage + sweet butternut + salty parmesan cheese + tangy tomatoes – this soup has it all!
- Made in 30 minutes! Most of your ingredients can easily be prepped beforehand so you can have dinner on the table in no time at all!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Omit the shredded cheese or use your favorite dairy free parmesan.
More recipes you might like:
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Kale Soup
- 1 lb. hot Italian chicken sausage
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced (white or yellow)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz. cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 14.5 oz. canned diced tomatoes (I use fire roasted)
- 2-3 cups kale, leaves roughly chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't want it too spicy)
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Shredded parmesan, for serving (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and spray it with cooking spray.
- Once hot, add your onions and garlic and cook until tender. (About 1-2 minutes)
- Then add your ground sausage and saeson it with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles as you go. (About 5-7 minutes)
- Next add your chicken broth and red pepper flakes. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add your diced butternut squash and cannellini beans then the pot again and bring it back to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until the squash is tender. (Your squash should pierce easily with a sharp knife once done.)
- Stir in your diced tomatoes (undrained).
- Five minutes before serving, add your chopped kale and stir until the kale just begins to wilt. Then generously season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over the top. Serve immediately and enjoy!