Hearty, spicy and loaded with Italian flare! This incredibly easy soup is so cozy and is the perfect meal to keep you warm this winter!
I’ve been on a HUGE soup kick lately! (Even though I live in Southern California and it rarely reaches below 60 degrees during the day…😂) But 60 degrees means soup weather here – so soup is what’s been on the menu! And this hearty Italian sausage, butternut squash and kale soup is giving me all of those warm and cozy vibes! It’s super simple, made in one pot and makes for one delicious weeknight dinner!
Plus it’s gluten free & dairy free too!
- Italian chicken sausage: Can be replaced with pork or turkey sausage instead. You can also either buy your sausage ground in bulk or buy sausage links and just remove the sausage from it’s casing. (I used hot Italian sausage because I like my soup a little spicy. 😉 )
- Butternut squash: Adds a subtle sweetness to your soup and makes it a little heartier too! (Try using pre-cut squash to save even more time when prepping.)
- Kale: I love adding kale to this soup because it’s a great nutritious filler and adds so much texture too!
- White beans: Any type of white bean will work for this recipe! (My favorites are navy beans and cannelloni beans.)
- Chicken stock: I always prefer using stock over broth for most recipes because I think it has a much better flavor. That being said, you can definitely use chicken broth or even vegetable broth/stock instead!
- Fire roasted tomatoes: I love the flavor of fire roasted tomatoes! These add almost a smokey-like flavor to your soup and really compliment the spicy sausage! (If you can’t find fire roasted tomatoes, you can also use regular diced tomatoes too.)
- Red onion: Can be replaced with white onion.
- Garlic: Adds to your soup’s delicious flavor!
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, red pepper flakes: Gives your soup that finishing touch and adds a little more heat too!
How to make sausage, butternut squash and kale soup
- Sauté your garlic and onions together in a large pot over medium high heat. Once they’re tender, add your ground sausage to the pot. Season it with salt and pepper to taste and cook the sausage until it’s done (about 10 minutes).
- Pour in your chicken stock and red pepper flakes and bring the whole pot to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add your butternut squash cubes and boil the soup for 10 minutes or until the squash is tender. (You can usually poke them with a knife to check their doneness. The knife should easily go through each squash cube.)
- Five minutes before serving, stir in your beans (drained), fire roasted tomatoes (not drained) and chopped kale.
- Serve immediately after the kale is tender and has started to wilt.
Can I make this soup in the crock pot?
I haven’t tried making this soup in the crock pot yet and probably wouldn’t try it to be honest with you. While I absolutely love crock pot soups, cooking butternut squash in one can be rather difficult to get right. (Most of the time it turns to complete mush because it’s cooked way too long with the rest of the ingredients.) But the good news is that this soup takes no time at all to put together so a crock pot really isn’t needed at all!
We love sprinkling a little parmesan cheese over the top of each bowl right before serving. It pairs so well with the sausage and butternut and even helps to cut some of the spiciness too! (Asiago or pecorino with also be amazing with this too. Orrr if you really wanna get crazy, try adding some crumbled goat cheese or a splash of heavy cream to make it a little creamy!)
What do I serve with this soup?
When it comes to sides, you really can’t go wrong with a nice warm piece of crispy bread! White, whole wheat, sourdough, a baguette… pick whichever one you like and it’ll taste amazing sopping up all of tat leftover broth! (Sometimes we’ll even make garlic bread to really play up those Italian flavors!
If you’re making this for a group: You could also make a small side salad or Italian salad and serve it with bread or roll for your guests.
Either way you slice it, this hearty Italian sausage, butternut squash and kale soup is an easy dinner idea for any night of the week! I hope you’re all having the best day loves!
More recipes you might like:
- Healthy Slow Cooker Pork Pozole
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- One Pot Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage Pasta
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad
Italian Sausage, Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
- 1 lb. hot Italian chicken sausage
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15oz. can white beans, drained (navy, cannelloni, etc.)
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ bunch of kale, leaves taken off the stem and chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock (can be replaced with broth)*
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like your soup too spicy)
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded parmesan, asiago or romano cheese
- Sauté your garlic and onions together in a large pot over medium high heat. Once they’re tender, add the ground sausage to the pot. Season it with salt and pepper to taste and cook until the sausage is done. (About 10 minutes)
- Then pour your chicken stock and red pepper flakes into the pot and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add your butternut squash cubes and boil the soup for 10 more minutes or until the squash is tender. (You can usually check for doneness by poking the squash with a knife. The knife should easily go through each squash cube.)
- Five minutes before serving, stir in your beans (drained), fire roasted tomatoes (not drained) and chopped kale. Your soup is ready to serve as soon as the kale has started to wilt.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese and crispy bread on the side!