Garlic & honey roasted carrots are tossed with salty feta cheese & fresh dill for a simple & tasty side dish! This recipe is full of flavor & one of the best ways to prepare fresh carrots!
Roasted carrots – so simple, but ohh so good! I could easily down an entire tray of these honey roasted carrots, they’re that addicting! Slightly sweet, salty, lots of garlic – they’ve got it all! (My favorite part are the crispy bits from the honey that caramelizes while baking. Omg yummm!)
And since the holidays are right around the corner, I know we’re all looking for some tasty sides! These carrots are perfect for a Thanksgiving side dish yet festive enough for Christmas dinner! You’re family and guests are going to love them!
Ingredients For Honey Roasted Carrots
- Carrots: Try to find carrots that are similar in size so they finish cooking around the same time. (I’ll usually cut my carrots on the bias (diagonally) into 1½ inch pieces and cut the larger pieces in half again lengthwise. You want your pieces to be as close to the same size and thickness as possible.)
- Honey: You’ll need about 1 tablespoon to coat the carrots while they cook plus more to drizzle over the top!
- Feta cheese: Always use a block of feta and crumble it yourself! (It has much better flavor than store bought crumbled feta.)
- Dill: Fresh or dried dill can be used for this recipe. (I personally love using a combination of the two; dried dill for roasting and fresh dill to top it off right before serving.)
- Oil: I always recommend using avocado oil because of it’s high smoking point. (Meaning it can cook your veggies and keep them crisp at higher temperatures without letting them burn.) Olive oil can be used instead though.
- Garlic: You’ll need at least 2 garlic cloves!
- Spices: Salt and black pepper are all that’s needed to season these carrots!
How To Make Honey Roasted Carrots
1. Preheat your oven. Turn your oven on to 425 degrees and line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Prep your carrots. Rinse your carrots and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then peel them (if desired) and slice the ends off both sides. Cut them on the bias (diagonally) into thirds -roughly around 1½ inch pieces- and add them to a large bowl. (You may need to slice the larger pieces in half again lengthwise if they’re too big.)
3. Toss. Then add your oil, honey, garlic, dill, salt and pepper to the bowl and toss until the carrots are fully coated.
4. Roast! Using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots from the bowl and spread them out onto your prepared pan. (Reserve the liquid in your bowl to brush over the carrots later.) Roast your carrots in the oven for 20-25 minutes (or until tender).
5. Baste. During the last 5-10 minutes of roasting, brush your reserved liquid over the carrots and let them continue cooking until done.
6. Mix & serve. Once done, transfer your carrots to a serving platter or bowl and toss them with your feta cheese. Serve immediately with extra honey drizzled over the top and sprinkle with chopped fresh dill.
Note: Every oven is different so your cooking time may vary depending. I would suggest checking your carrots around the 15 minute mark to determine how much longer they’ll need.
Why drain the liquid from my carrots after mixing them? When we mix the carrots with oil and honey, all that yummy deliciousness tends to pool to the bottom of the bowl. I found that when I dumped the carrots with all the liquid into my pan and baked it, the liquid burned very easily and my carrots didn’t crisp up at all. By “draining” the excess liquid, it allows the carrots to crisp up nicely without burning. Then basting the carrots during the last few minutes adds extra flavor AND richness!
These carrots are best served fresh but they’re still delicious when reheated too. The tricky part is the feta. Since we’ve tossed the carrots with feta cheese, the cheese tends to melt when you reheat them. (I personally didn’t mind it but a few of my family members didn’t like the consistency.)
- To Reheat: Place your carrots on a pan lined with parchment paper and heat them in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they reach your desired temperature.
Making this for Thanksgiving dinner? Follow the steps for roasting but don’t add the feta yet! Then store them in the refrigerator overnight. Once you’re ready to serve, reheat them using the directions above, toss them with your feta and extra honey drizzle and serve!
- Do I have to peel my carrots? No! As long as you wash and scrub the carrots, they should be ok to eat. (Carrot “skin” isn’t as thick as other roots vegetables.)
- Can I leave my carrots whole while roasting instead of cutting them? If your carrots are pretty thin then yes definitely! Just keep in mind that the “fatter” the carrot – the longer it will take to roast.
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Absolutely! Your carrots can be cut at least 1-2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Why you’ll love this honey roasted carrot recipe!
- Simple yet elegant! There’s not a lot of work that goes into this dish AND the end result is stunning!
- Perfect combination of flavors! Sweet honey & salty feta are a match made in heaven! Your garlic & seasonings help elevate the carrots’ flavor even more!
- A make ahead side dish! Roast the carrots the day before then reheat them & toss them with feta! It couldn’t be easier!
More side dish recipes you might like:
- Maple Brown Butter Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Maple Brown Butter
- Maple Bacon Brussel Sprouts (in the air fryer)
- Crispy Chili Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Chimichurri
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Honey Roasted Carrots with Feta & Dill
- 1 lb. carrots, washed & peeled (or unpeeled)
- 1 Tbsp honey (plus more to drizzle over the top)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried dill (or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill)
- ¼ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
- Then peel your carrots and slice the ends off both sides. Cut your carrots on the bias (diagonally) into thirds or roughly into 1½ inch pieces and place them in a large bowl. (You may need to slice the larger pieces in half again lengthwise if they're too big.)
- Then add your oil, honey, garlic, dill, salt and pepper to the bowl and toss until the carrots are fully coated.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots from the bowl and spread them out onto your prepared pan. (Reserve the liquid in your bowl to brush over the carrots later.)
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender. During the last 5-10 minutes brush your reserved liquid over the carrots.
- Once done, transfer your carrots to a serving platter or bowl and toss them with your feta cheese.
- Serve immediately with chopped fresh dill and extra honey drizzled over the top.
- By basting the carrots with the your reserved liquid we’re still adding all the richness and flavor!
The recipe does not specify when to add the garlic.
Hi there! Thank you so much for catching that! You’ll add the garlic when you add the rest of the ingredients to your carrots. I’ve just revised the recipe to inlcude it now. 🙂 Thank you so much again!