Love Italian sub sandwiches? Then you’re going to fall head over heels for this tasty sub-in-a-tub!
Ok loves, let’s talk sub sandwiches. I LOVE them! Especially when you find those little hole in the wall deli’s that never look the best on the outside but ALWAYS serve up the best sandwiches! (If you live anywhere near Escondido, Rock N’ Jenny’s is where it’s at! 😉 ) Well all I did was take my favorite deli sandwich and put it in a bowl to make this healthy Italian sub salad!
Ingredients to make a healthy Italian sub salad
Keep in mind that you can really use any ingredients you want for this recipe! But what I like to do is think of my favorite Italian sub sandwich (or hoagie) and use those ingredients to make my sub salad.
- Chopped lettuce: I personally love using green leaf or romaine lettuce because they’re more sturdy and will hold up to the rest of your toppings. (Plus they’re more flavorful than iceberg too!)
- Sliced deli meats/cold cuts: The piece de resistance for Italian sub salads! I love using a mixture of meats (like sliced turkey and salami) because it adds so much more flavor and texture to your salad. Some other great options would be sliced ham, roast beef or even sliced Italian sausage too! (If you’re looking for a heartier salad, try asking the deli to slice your cold cuts “dinner style” which means your slices will be colse to ¼ inch thick. Perfect for a hearty dinner salad!🤗)
- Provolone cheese: Adds a touch of creaminess to your sub salad! (Feel free to replace it with your favorite sliced cheese too! Swiss or cheddar cheese would be a great replacement here!)
- Fresh tomatoes: Use tomatoes on the vine for the best flavor!
- Pepperoncinis: A must when it comes to making a sub-in-a-tub! These provide that little bit of tang that’s so reminicent of your favortie hoagie! (Buy them pre-sliced to make assembling your salad easier!)
- Red onion: Adds some crunch to your sub salad! (You can also use white onion instead too!)
- Zesty Italian Vinaigrette: Ties your sub salad ingredients all together! Feel free to use your favorite Italian dressing or check out my easy homemade vinagrette recipe below!
Here are a few other ingredients that would be great in this salad too!
- Sliced green bell pepper
- Sliced Black olives
- Diced avocado
- Sliced mushrooms
- Crumbled bacon
How to make the best homemade Italian vinaigrette
This Italian vinaigrette recipe is always my go-to dressing whenever I want something fast and easy. AND because I always seem to have these ingredients in my house at all times, I never feel the need to buy my Italian dressing anymore! (Hello money saver!) Plus it tastes AMAZING on this healthy sub salad too! All you need are these simple ingredients:
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt, to taste
Simply add these ingredients in a small jar, shake it up and pour it over your Italian sub salad! (How easy is that right?!)
This dressing should keep in the fridge for 1½ -2 weeks. (The oil will solidify after a while so make sure to take it out a few minutes before you’re planning to use it.)
Why you’ll love this Italian sub salad
- It’s low carb! Since some of use might be watching our waistlines this summer, this sub salad is an easy way to satisfy those sub sandwich cravings without all the carbs! It’s a win-win!
- So versatile! You can add any toppings you want to fit your personal preferences or dietary needs! (Just think of your favorite Jersey Mike’s or Subway sandwich and go crazy!
- Quick & easy! I bet most of us already have these ingredients in our house right now! There’s no need for extra shopping and it can quickly be made in minutes!
When would be a great time to serve your healthy Italian sub salad? This dish is perfect for luncheons, meal prepped lunches or even as a light dinner!
More recipes like this:
- Loaded Italian Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad Flatbread
- Pesto Pasta Salad with Tomatoes & Mozzarella
- Easy Pizza Pasta Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Healthy Italian Sub Salad
For the salad:
- 6 cups lettuce, chopped (I suggest green leaf or romaine)
- ½ lb. sliced turkey, rolled & chopped (or your favorite type of deli meat)
- ½ lb. salami, chopped
- ¾ cup sliced provolone, chopped (or your favorite type of sliced cheese)
- 2 large vine tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pepperoncinis, sliced
For the Italian vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
To make the Italian vinaigrette:
- Whisk your ingredients together in a bowl. Then place it in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your salad.
To make salad:
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour your desired amount of vinaigrette over the top and toss it all together until it's evenly coated. Serve immediately.