This healthier buffalo chicken dip is a lightened-up version of your favorite game day snack! It’s made with shredded chicken, greek yogurt, hot sauce & 2 types of cheese! Creamy, cheesy & best served with your favorite chips & crackers!
My favorite part about the Super Bowl?! All the Super Bowl snacks! (You can usually find me glued to the food table at our annual Super Bowl party.😉 This buffalo chicken dip is always the first app to go!
When I say this is the BEST buffalo chicken dip, I really mean it! It has all the spicy buttery flavor of your favorite buffalo wings combined the with cheesy goodness of a dip. BONUS – it’s better for you too! No gobs of mayo or thick ranch dressing are needed. Instead we’re using protein-packed Greek yogurt partnered with a few every day ingredients to achieve the same creamy texture!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Shredded chicken: You can make your own shredded chicken or use store-bought chicken for ease. (See the section below for how I make my homemade shredded chicken.)
Franks Red Hot Sauce: An essential ingredient for any buffalo chicken recipe. (Do NOT use wing sauce for this dip!)
Greek yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt keeps this dip light while adding extra protein! (I use 0% Greek yogurt from Fage for ours.)
Cream cheese: You’ll need one 8 ounce package of cream cheese for this recipe. (It helps to soften the cream cheese to make mixing easier.)
Mozzarella: I always recommend buying a block of low-moisture (part skim) mozzarella and grating it yourself. (It has much better flavor and texture than pre-shredded store-bought cheese.)
Cheese cheese: We use extra sharp cheddar cheese for ours but mild or sharp cheddar would work too!
Green onion: Use the green and white parts for maximum flavor!
Spices: Salt and garlic powder are all you need to seasoning your buffalo chicken dip!
How To Make Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip
1. Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spay.
2. Mix. Mix the shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, greek yogurt, hot sauce, shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, green onion, salt and garlic powder together in a large bowl.
3. Bake! Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the top with extra cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the dip is bubbly.
4. Serve. Garnish with sliced green onion and crumbled blue cheese (if desired) and serve with your favorite tortilla chips!
This easy buffalo chicken dip recipe is perfect for game days or an appetizer party! (We love serving it at our annual Super Bowl party too – it’s got all the flavor of buffalo chicken wings but in dip form!😊)
Make Shredded Chicken At Home!
We usually make our own shredded chicken for this recipe. (It’s so easy and we like the consistency of the dip much better.) Here’s how we do it:
- Season 1-1½ lbs. of chicken tenders with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Shred using 2 large forks!
I think my favorite part about any chicken dip is the variety of dipping options there are! You can keep it classic with your favorite chips, go bold with some warm crusty bread or offer veggies as a more health-conscious option. Here are a few of our personal favorite “dippers”:
- Tortilla chips
- Pretzel thins (These are really fun! They have all flavor of pretzels but are thin & crispy like a chip.)
- Sliced & toasted baguette
- Pita chips
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber slices
- Sliced red bell pepper
This buffalo chicken dip keeps well as leftovers and can even be made 2-3 days in advance!
- Storing leftovers in the refrigerator: Pour your leftover chicken dip into an airtight and keep it stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- Storing leftovers in the freezer: Store your leftover chicken dip in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3-6 months. (Note: This chicken dip may not have the same creamy consistency after it thaws.)
Why you’ll love this buffalo chicken dip recipe!
- Better-for-you ingredients! We’re lightening up this dip by using protein-packed Greek yogurt to replace the mayo that’s found in most chicken dip recipes.
- Perfect for parties! Everyone loves chicken wings & dips (especially on game day) – this appetizer is the perfect mix. It’s the BEST chicken wing dip!
- An easy make-ahead dip! Mix your ingredients the day before then bake it the day of! It couldn’t be easier.
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 (8oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup Frank's red hot sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella jack cheese
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (plus extra for the top)
- ¼ cup sliced green onion (plus extra for garnish)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Blue cheese crumbles, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spay.
- Mix. Mix the shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, greek yogurt, hot sauce, shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, green onion, salt and garlic powder together in a large bowl.
- Bake! Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the top with extra cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the dip is bubbly.
- Serve. Garnish with sliced green onion and crumbled blue cheese (if desired) and serve with your favorite tortilla chips!