A mayo-free chicken salad loaded with avocados, green onion, juicy tomatoes, lime juice & Mexican herbs & spices! This guacamole chicken salad has all the traditional flavors of guacamole turned into a delicious & healthy chicken salad!
I will never turn down guacamole. (It’s one of my weaknesses when it comes to Mexican food.😉) We order it at every Mexican restaurant, always have it for game nights, it’s a neccesity for every football party, family get-together and definitely taco night… Basically I feel like it’s an essential part of our being…😂 And this guacamole chicken salad – ohhhh it’s so good! It’s almost hard for me to call this an actual “recipe” because it’s just too easy to make.
Loaded with creamy avocado, cilantro, lime juice, all the Mexican herbs & spices – it’s everything you need to make the BEST guacamole recipe! Serve it with tortilla chips or wrap it in a tortilla for a fun and delicious meal! Plus it’s mayo-free too!
Ingredients For Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Shredded chicken: You can use store bought shredded chicken or make it yourself. (I personally love making my own shredded chicken with chicken tenders. They’re flavorful and so easy to shred!)
- Avocados: The larger the avocados – the better! Try to find avocados that “give in” slightly when you give them a gentle squeeze. (That’s when you know they’re ripe!)
- Green onion: We’ll be using the entire onion (green & white parts) for this chicken salad recipe.
- Jalapeno: Make sure to discard all the seeds if you don’t want a spicy chicken salad. (We love spice in this house so I’ll usually leave in a few seeds for a little kick.😉)
- Tomatoes: Use cherry tomatoes or tomatoes on the vine for the best results. (They have such great flavor!) Not a tomato lover? Leave them out – this salad is still delicious without them!
- Cilantro: An essential ingredient for any guacamole recipe!
- Lime juice: You’ll need the juice from 1-2 limes for this recipe.
- Seasonings: Garlic salt & black pepper are all you need to season your chicken salad!
How To Make Guacamole Chicken Salad
1. Prepare your chicken. (If making your own shredded chicken.) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then season your chicken tenders with salt & pepper and place them in the dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes then let them cool completely. Use two large forks to shred your chicken or cut them into bite-size pieces.
2. Prepare the rest of your ingredients. While the chicken is cooling, slice your green onion, cut and deseed the jalapeno, chop your tomatoes and cilantro and mash your avocado.
3. Mix and serve. Add your chicken and prepared ingredients to a large bowl then pour your lime juice over the top. Stir the salad and season it with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or let your salad chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
Note: If chilling your chicken salad, I’d suggest putting a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the salad. This helps to prevent the avocado from turning brown.
Ideas For Serving Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Make it a chicken salad sandwich/wrap! Sandwich your chicken salad between 2 pieces of bread or wrap it up in a flour tortilla! It’s a great option for lunch or a light dinner!
- Serve it with chips! Just like traditional guacamole, this chicken salad is delicious served with tortilla chips! (This is my favorite way to eat it!😉)
- Spoon it over greens! Make it a chicken salad…salad! (I’ll usually add an extra squeeze of lime juice to act as the “dressing” before tossing it all together.)
- Eat it by the spoonful! Keep it simple and eat it straight from the bowl!
- How do I store my chicken salad with avocado? Place your chicken salad in an air tight container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the salad. (This helps to prevent the avocado from turning brown.) Then cover it with a lid and keep it stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- How long does avocado chicken salad stay good in the refrigerator? It should stay good for 1-2 days if stored properly.
- Can I prep any of my ingredients beforehand? Yes! All your veggies and chicken can be cut/shredded at least 1-2 days in advance. I would wait until you’re ready to eat to mash your avocado and mix it all together.
- Can I freeze my chicken salad? I would not suggest it. The texture and quality of your salad just isn’t the same after it thaws.
Why you’ll love this guacamole chicken salad recipe!
- Easy to make! Shred, chop, mash and mix it all together! It’s a quick & easy meal that’s full of flavor!
- A no mayo chicken salad! Most chicken salad recipes call for A TON of mayonnaise…but not this one! Instead we’re using mashed avocado as a tasty substitute!
- Full of healthy fats & lean protein! Chicken, veggies & LOTS of avocado! What’s not to love?!
- Doubles as a dip! Serve it with tortilla chips & it instantly becomes a fun party “dip”.
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Baked Balsamic Chicken with Caprese Salsa
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings
- Summer Chicken Fruit Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Guacamole Chicken Salad
- 1 lb. chicken tenders, (or 2-2½ cups shredded chicken)
- 2 large avocados, mashed
- 2 stalks of green onion, sliced thin (use the green & white parts)
- ½ – 1 jalapeno, deseeded & finely diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice (depending on how tangy you want it)
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Serving options: Tortilla chips, flour tortillas, lettuce, etc.
- If making your own shredded chicken: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Then season your chicken tenders with salt and pepper and place them in the dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes.Once done, use 2 large forks to shred the chicken and set it aside to cool completely.
- Next add your shredded chicken, mashed avocado, green onion, jalapeno, tomatoes and cilantro to a large bowl and pour your lime juice over the top. Stir and season with garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or let it chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before serving. (If chilling, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of your salad to prevent the avocado from turning brown.)
Very delicious. My family was impressed by the flavors and the palate of goodness. 👍
Hi Jason! Yayy, I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! 🙂
Me and family really enjoyed it. We added it to a soft taco for the kiddies and it was a hit. Thank you 🙏🏼
Oh yay! That makes me so happy! 🙂 I’m so glad you all enjoyed it!