All the ingredients of classic guacamole packed into a delicious chicken salad!
If you’re reading this post, that can only mean one thing… guacamole is your weakness. (It’s ok, it’s mine too!😉) And I will literally eat it with/add it to everything! Which is probably why this guacamole chicken salad is one of my favorite quick and easy meals, especially during summer! Growing up we used to make chicken salad all the time. But it was the more traditional version that had celery, lots of fruit and of course…loaded with mayo. This chicken salad though has NO MAYO, is still super creamy from all the avocado and tastes just like your favorite guacamole – just in chicken salad form! Trust me love, you’ll never go back to the traditional stuff again!
Pro tip: Eat it with tortilla chips for even more Mexican flare!😊
Ingredients for guacamole chicken salad
- Chicken tenders: I love using tenders for this chicken salad recipe because they cook faster and are much easier to shred than chicken breast. (Store bought shredded chicken can be used instead too!)
- Avocados: Look for avocados that are medium in size and “give in” slightly when you squeeze them. (That’s how you know they’re ripe!)
- Green onion: Much more mild in flavor so you won’t get a mouthful of onion!
- Jalapeno: Take out all the seeds if you don’t want your chicken salad spicy. (We’re huge spice lovers in this house so I’ll always leave in a few seeds for a little kick.😉)
- Chopped tomatoes: Adds color and texture to your chicken salad. I usually use grape or cherry tomatoes for this recipe because they have much better flavor. (Not a tomato lover? No worries, just don’t put them in!)
- Cilantro: A quintessential ingredient for any guacamole recipe!
- Lime juice: Adds a touch of tang to tie your salad ingredients together!
- Garlic salt: Helps to bring out all of your flavors! (A little goes a long way though!)
Guacamole isn’t just a fun dip for your chips – it’s actually made with good-for-you nutritious ingredients too! Which is mainly thanks to it’s main ingredient, the avocado! Not only are they a healthy fat but they’re also high in fiber, low in sugar and are loaded with antioxidants too! And since y’all know I’m a huge Sprouts girl, I always make sure to stock up on avocados everytime I’m there. I just love that they have different sizes depending on what I need and great prices too so I’m not having to pay an arm and a leg for my favorite green fruit. (Also fun fact… Avocados are fruits!😉)
How to make guacamole chicken salad
- Bake & shred your chicken. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then season your chicken tenders with salt & pepper, place them in the dish and bake for 15 minutes. Let the tenders cool completely before shredding them or cutting them into bite size pieces.
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients. While the chicken is cooling, cut the rest of your ingredients and mash your avocado.
- Mix and serve. Add your shredded chicken, mashed avocado and lime juice to a large bowl and stir. Then stir in the rest of your ingredients and season it with garlic salt to taste. Serve immediately!
*You can also let your salad chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving too. Just note that the longer it sits, the more likely the avocado will start to turn brown.
Ideas for serving
- Make it a chicken salad sandwich/wrap! Sandwich your chicken salad between 2 pieces of bread or wrap it up in a flour tortilla! It’s a great option for lunch or even a light dinner!
- Serve it with chips! Just like traditional guacamole, this chicken salad is delicious served with tortilla chips!
- Spoon it over greens! Make it a chicken salad…salad! (I’ll usually add an extra squeeze of lime juice to act as the “dressing” before tossing it all together.)
- Eat it by the spoonful! Keep it simple and eat it straight from the bowl!
Why you’ll love this chicken salad recipe
- A no mayo chicken salad! I know there’s plenty of mayo haters out there so this easy chicken salad recipe is a great alternative!
- Full of healthy fats & lean protein! Chicken, lots of avocado and a few other veggies too! What’s not to love right?! (Plus this chicken salad is perfect for anyone following a paleo or keto based diet too!)
- Simple & easy to make! Shred, chop, mash and mix it all together! It doesn’t get any easier than that!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Greek Salad with Chicken & Avocado
- Baked Balsamic Chicken with Caprese Salsa
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings
- Summer Chicken Fruit Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Guacamole Chicken Salad
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 2 large avocados, mashed
- 2 stalks of green onion, sliced thin (use the green & white parts)
- ½ – 1 jalapeno, deseeded & minced
- ⅓ cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice (depending on how tangy you want it)
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Serving options: Tortilla chips, flour tortillas, lettuce, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then season your chicken tenders with salt & pepper and place them in the dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Let the chicken tenders cool completely before shredding them. (You can also cut them into bite size pieces.)
- Next add your shredded chicken, mashed avocado and lime juice to a large bowl and stir. Then stir in the rest of your ingredients and season with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with the options listed above.