This grilled zucchini with feta is an easy summer side dish! Featuring grilled zucchini, crumbled feta cheese & fresh basil all tossed in a simple lemon-garlic vinaigrette & topped with toasted pine nuts!
Ok fam – I could start this out by saying “zucchini is one of my favorite summer vegetables”…But the reality is, that’s just not true.😲 My husband’s the one who loves zucchini and I’ve been desperately trying to find a way to prepare it that doesn’t taste like wet socks to me. Cue grilled zucchini!
This grilled zucchini with feta cheese is IT! Bright, refreshing, so easy to make and the best part – it’s packed with flavor! The zesty lemon + fresh basil and toasted pine nuts almost reminds me of pesto which pairs so well with zucchini!
This would be such a great side dish for any summer cookout or party! It takes minutes to cook and the grill does all the work. (Plus I’ve included a few tips to make this the BEST grilled zucchini recipe!)
Ingredients You’ll Need
Zucchini: Look for thicker zucchini to make slicing them easier. (You’ll want to keep your slices decently thick so they don’t become mushy.)
Garlic: Two minced garlic cloves are needed for the vinaigrette.
Olive oil: We’ll be using olive oil in our vinaigrette and to brush over the zucchini before cooking. (We prefer using extra light tasting olive oil.)
Lemon juice: Use fresh lemon juice for the best results!
Feta cheese: We always buy a block of feta cheese and crumble it ourselves. (It’s softer, creamier and has much better flavor than store bought feta crumbles.)
Fresh basil: Slice or tear as much fresh basil as you want! (I LOVE fresh basil so we tend to use a lot.)
Pine nuts: Elevates your grilled zucchini by adding texture and crunch! (Try them toasted – they’re so good!)
How To Make Grilled Zucchini With Feta & Basil
1. Prepare the zucchini. Slice your zucchinis into thick slices (roughly a ½ inch thick) then lay them out on a tray lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle salt over each slice and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. (This helps to draw out their moisture so they don’t become soggy after cooking.) Pat them dry with a paper towel once done.
2. Prepare the vinaigrette. While the zucchini sits, whisk your olive oil, lemon juice and minced garlic together in a small bowl and set it aside.
3. Grill. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and brush both sides of the zucchini slices with your remaining olive oil. Once hot, place the zucchini directly on the grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until they’re just tender and grill marks have formed. Then transfer the zucchini to a tray once done.
4. Toss! Add your zucchini to a large bowl and gently toss them with your feta cheese, fresh basil and lemon-garlic vinaigrette.
5. Serve. Keep them in the same bowl (or arrange them on a platter). Then sprinkle your toasted pine nuts over the top and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
You’re going to LOVE how easy this grilled squash recipe is!
- Use summer squash instead! (Grilled summer squash is so good!)
- Replace the pine nuts with chopped walnuts or toasted pepitas!
- Swap out the basil for fresh dill!
- Add lemon zest for extra flavor!
Always salt the zucchini to draw out their moisture! This helps to keep the squash firm while cooking and not become soggy.
Keep your slices pretty thick! We found that ½ inch slices worked the best for us!
Don’t overcook it! If in doubt, remove your zucchini from the grill when they still look slightly undercooked. (They’ll continue cooking as they sit.)
Why you’ll love this grilled zucchini recipe!
- Simple ingredients! Fresh seasonal squash + a handful of every day ingredients! This is one of the best side dishes for a bbq!
- Light & flavorful! The salty feta and fresh lemon flavors pair so well with popular summer main dishes!
- An easy summer side dish! Just a few minutes of prep work required and all the cooking is done on the grill!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Replace the feta with your favorite vegan feta cheese or parmesan.
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Grilled Zucchini with Feta & Basil
- 3 large zucchinis
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (plus more to brush over the zucchini)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced
- Pine nuts, toasted (optional)*
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Prepare the zucchini. Slice your zucchinis into thick slices (around a ½ inch thick) then lay them out on a tray lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle salt over each slice and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. (This helps to draw out their moisture so they don't become soggy after cooking.) Pat them dry with a paper towel once done
- Prepare the vinaigrette. While the zucchini sits, whisk your olive oil, lemon juice and minced garlic together and set it aside.
- Grill the zucchini. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and brush both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil. Once hot, place the zucchini directly on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side (or until they're just tender and grill marks have formed). Transfer the zucchini to a tray once done.
- Toss. Add your zucchini to a large bowl and gently toss them with your feta cheese, basil and lemon-garlic vinaigrette.
- Serve. Keep the zucchini in the same bowl (or arrange them on a platter). Sprinkle your toasted pine nuts over the top and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.