Classic cobb salad with an Autumn twist! This hearty salad is full of seasonal ingredients like roasted butternut squash, apples & dried cranberries all tossed in a sweet maple-balsamic vinaigrette! This is the best fall harvest cobb salad recipe!
I’m always looking for more Fall salad ideas and this Fall harvest cobb salad is definitely a new favorite! (At first I thought there might be way too much going on, but after taking one bite – I was sold! It all just works together!) Loaded with all my favorite seasonal produce like butternut squash, apples and dried cranberries and the dressing – ohhh the dressing! It’s tossed in a super simple maple-balsamic vinaigrette that’s TO DIE FOR! If you love cobb salads, then you’re going to go crazy for this this Fall version!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Cooked chicken: You can use rotisserie chicken, shredded chicken or bake your own chicken breast and dice it yourself. (This recipe is perfect for using leftover turkey from Thanksgiving too!)
Lettuce or mixed greens: Any type of greens work!
Hard boiled eggs: You’ll need at least 2 for this recipe! (If I’m making individual salads, I’ll usually use 1 egg per salad.)
Bacon: Real bacon is the best! (Store bought bacon bits can be used as a replacement.)
Apples: Use sweeter apples like Honeycrisp and Fujis. (They pair better with the rest of your flavors.😉)
Butternut squash: We’ll be roasting the squash so it gets tender and slightly caramelized for your salad! (You can roast it the day before to cut down on time!)
Feta cheese: Always buy a block of feta and crumble it yourself! (It’s so much more flavorful than already crumbled feta.)
Dried cranberries: Use as little or as much as you want! (I love the tartness they add!)
Maple-balsamic vinaigrette: A sweet and tangy dressing to tie it altogether! It’s only 5 ingredients and made with every day items I’m sure you already have at home!
What is a cobb salad?
A cobb salad is traditionally made with salad greens, hard boiled eggs, tomato, bacon, bleu cheese, avocado and some type of red wine vinaigrette. It’s usually served as a main dish and can be topped with extra protein like chicken, steak, salmon or shrimp.
How is this fall cobb salad different?! We’re fusing the two together by keeping the salad greens, eggs and bacon swapping in a few seasonal ingredients and adding a slight hint of maple to the vinaigrette! It’s to die for!
How To Make A Fall Harvest Cobb Salad
1. Roast the butternut squash. Peel and cut your squash into bite size pieces then add it to a large bowl. Toss it with a splash of olive oil, salt and black pepper then spread it out on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Roast your squash in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes depending on their size. Once done, set them aside to cool completely.
2. Make the maple-balsamic vinaigrette. Whisk your vinaigrette ingredients together until the oil is fully incorporated then set it aside while you prepare the rest of your salad. (Alternatively, you can shake your ingredients together in a glass jar or salad dressing bottle.)
3. Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Dice your chicken, hard boiled eggs and apples and grab your bacon (crumble it if needed), dried cranberries and feta cheese.
4. Assemble. Place your chopped lettuce or mixed greens in the bottom of a bowl then arrange your chicken, butternut squash, chopped eggs, apples, bacon and dried cranberries on top. Drizzle your desired amount of vinaigrette over your salad and toss until it’s full coated.
5. Serve! Sprinkle your feta cheese over the top and serve immediately.
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Yes! Can roast your squash, hard boil your eggs, cook your bacon, dice your chicken and make your dressing all before you’re ready to serve!
Why you love this Fall salad recipe!
- Satisfying & delicious! Lots of protein, healthy fats and carbs! It’s a tasty salad that will actually keep you full!
- So many flavors & textures! No boring salads over here! This one’s loaded with fresh seasonal ingredients that all work together!
- A meal prepper’s dream! Almost all of these ingredients can be made beforehand and assembled as your week progresses! It’d be perfect for a quick grab-and-go lunch or easy weeknight dinner!
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Fall Harvest Cobb Salad with Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 6 cups lettuce or mixed greens
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked & diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 5-6 slices of bacon, cooked & chopped
- 1½ cups butternut squash, peeled, deseeded & diced (about 1 small squash)
- 1 honeycrisp apple, cored & diced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil (for roasting the squash)
For the maple-balsamic vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss your butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil) and season with salt and black pepper. Then arrange your squash on the prepared pan and bake for 25-35 or until the squash is tender. Let them cool completely once done.
- Meanwhile, whisk your vinaigrette ingredients together until the oil is fully incorporated. Then set it aside while you prepare the rest of your salad. (Alternatively, you can shake your ingredients together in a glass jar or salad dressing bottle.)
- To assemble your salad, place your lettuce or mixed greens in the bottom of a bowl. Then arrange your chicken, cooled butternut squash, hard boiled eggs, apples, bacon and dried cranberries on top. Drizzle your desired amount of vinaigrette over your salad and toss until it's full coated.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top and serve immediately.