To this day I still remember my first experience with “Chinese takeout.” I was 10 years old, on the way to my friend’s softball game and my mom decided to pick up Panda Express for a quick bite to eat at the game. I then spent the next hour sitting on the stone cold bleachers, eating my child’s plate of chow mein and egg rolls, freezing my butt off because it was the middle of December and I forgot to bring a jacket… BUT I was still happy as a clam inside. Why you ask?? Because right then and there I discovered that Chinese takeout was AMAZING!!! 😉 Ever since then I’ve been trying every recipe I can get my hands on to replicate it at home. This egg roll in a bowl is by far my favorite!
Whenever I’m craving all the veggies, this is my go-to! Whenever I need an easy meal prep, this is my go-to! Even when we have fish tacos for dinner and I’m left with umptuous amounts of cabbage the next day (especially then), this is my go-to! It’s low carb, gluten free and can easily be made vegetarian, Whole 30, Paleo and even Keto!
Here’s some simple variations you can make to my recipe:
- Meat: I usually use ground turkey because I like to keep it on the leaner side. But you can also use ground pork, beef, sausage or chicken. I’ve even used tilapia (on the side) when I was in a pinch and had no ground meat in the house.
- Vegetarian: Simply swap out the meat for tofu or don’t add any “meat” at all! You can also cook up all the veggies and eat it with a side of eggs too. (Soooo good this way! 🙂 )
- Paleo: Swap out the soy sauce for coconut aminos.
- Whole 30: Swap out the soy sauce for coconut aminos and replace the coconut sugar with 1 Tbsp rice vinegar (unsweetened/sugar free).
- Keto: Swap out the coconut sugar for 1 Tbsp rice vinegar (unsweetened/sugar free).
- Toppings: Sriracha (my fav 😉 ), green onions, sesame seeds or even crushed wonton strips for a little extra crunch!
See why I love it yet?? It makes one delicious meal that is both healthy and filling. And since it’s all made in ONE PAN there’s LITTLE to NO CLEAN UP! (Can’t beat that now can ya?!)
Side Note: You can even turn it into tacos the next day too! 🙂
Hope you’re all having a fantastic day loves! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I’d love to see what you create!]
Egg Roll in a Bowl
For the egg roll:
- 1 lb ground turkey*
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion
- 3/4 head of cabbage, sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce**
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar***
- 2 Tbsps water
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set it aside until later use.
- Spray a saute pan with cooking spray or place a small amount of olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium high heat. When it's hot, add the ground turkey, garlic and onion and saute together until cooked through. Set the turkey mixture aside.
- In the same pan, add the celery and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. (You may need to add more oil depending) Then add the cabbage and bean sprouts and cook until the cabbage just starts to wilt. (About 1-2 more minutes)
- Add the turkey mixture back to the pan, stir in your desired amount of sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve with sesame seeds, sriracha, green onion or any of your favorite toppings.