Salty ricotta and fresh spinach all wrapped up in soft lasagna noodles and ladled with a robust meat sauce! These lasagna rolls are an easier and lighter way to enjoy your favorite layered casserole!
Love lasagna but feel like it takes for-ev-er to make? Or you just make wayyy too much and most of it ends up going to waste? Yeah…same here… But no more loves because today I’m sharing with you the recipe for my incredibly easy spinach lasagna rolls! You can either make just a few for yourself or a bunch for all those big family get-togethers!
Make Ahead Ingredients
I’ve realized one of the reasons I never want to make lasagna anymore is because it always took soooo longggg to put together. Between making the sauce, doing all the layers and actually cooking it, by the time it was finally done I was just pooped. (And then apparently I was supposed to wait 10 MORE minutes just for it to cool. *Insert eye roll here*) Well that all stops now! For these lasagna rolls you can actually make everything (including the noodles) at least one day before you’re even ready to start cooking. See below for directions on how to store your make ahead ingredients:
- Noodles: Cook according to package and lay them on parchment paper to dry. Once they’re dry, place them in an air tight container with a small piece of parchment paper between each noodle and store in the fridge. (The parchments helps the noodles to not stick together!) It also helps to pull the noodles out at least 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook to bring them back up to room temperature.
- Sauce: If you’re using a homemade marinara sauce, just make your sauce, wait for it to cool slightly and store it in an air tight container in the fridge. If using a store bought sauce, well…just don’t open the bottle until you’re ready to cook! 😉
- Filling: Make the filling according to my directions below and store in the fridge in a separate air tight container.
The Best Lasagna Sauce Recipe Ever!
This is my grandma’s go-to lasagna sauce recipe. Soo basically you know it HAS to be good right?! 😉 It also makes A TON of sauce so you can freeze anything leftover and save it for another time.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 16oz. cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 12oz. can + 1 6oz. can tomato pasta
- 1 16oz. can + 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 2 Tbsps dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (or more depending on how spicy you like it)
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pot along with your onions and garlic. Saute until the onions become translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the ground turkey, stir and cook until the turkey is cooked all the way through. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Turn the burner down to medium low and allow the sauce to simmer for 1 hour. (Make sure to stir the sauce every now and then to make sure it isn’t burning!) The sauce will reduce down slightly. If it reduces down too much, just add a little bit of water until you reach your desired consistency. Taste it to see if you need to add any additional seasoning.
Side Note: You can also make this sauce vegetarian by taking out the meat. It still has great flavor without it!
Freezing the sauce: Place the leftover sauce in a ziplock bag, double bag it and place it in the freezer.
What do I serve with lasagna rolls?
These roll ups are pretty filling by themselves, so they don’t really need much in the way of sides dishes. However, if you’re serving these for a large group then having a few options for sides is always a great idea. Here are a few of my favorite side dishes below:
- A simple side salad
- Garlic bread
- Sauteed zucchini
- Roasted asparagus
- Steamed broccoli
I did also want to note that I made this recipe COMPLETELY dairy free so Charlie could eat it. 😉 But the rest of my family didn’t even notice the difference! If you’re interested, the dairy free products I used are listed below:
- Ricotta: Kite Hill (Love love love this brand! Not sponsored)
- Parmesan: Follow Your Heart
- Mozzarella: Follow Your Heart
I hope you’re having a great Friday babes! And I can’t wait to hear how you like these roll ups! 🙂
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 2 8oz containers of ricotta*
- 1¾ cup fresh spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan*
- Marinara sauce (Use your favorite or see above for my go-to sauce recipe)
- For the top: shredded mozzarella* & chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×12 casserole dish with cooking spray. Ladle enough marinara into the casserole dish to just cover the bottom.
- Cook noodles according to their package. Set aside. (It helps to lay them out on a piece of parchment paper to dry.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, spinach and parmesan cheese.
- Once the noodles are dry, spread some of spinach filling over each noodle in an even layer.
- Carefully roll the noodle and place it in the casserole dish with the "seam" side down. Repeat with the remaining noodles.
- Ladle more sauce over the top of each noodle and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped basil just before serving.