Coffee, chocolate, protein oh my… This delicious breakfast smoothie tastes just like your favorite coffee shop drink but made with better for you ingredients! (Plus – easily made dairy free too!)
Protein smoothies have always been my go-to breakfast during the week. 1) They’re fast and easy. 2) They’re full of nutrients to help keep me satisfied until lunchtime rolls around. 3) There’s so many different ingredients to use they never seem to get old! But once I started adding instant coffee to my smoothies…oh man, that changed my smoothie game forever! And this mocha protein smoothie is definitely one of my favorites! It’s thick, creamy, made with simple ingredients AND still allows you to get your caffeine fix in the morning!
Ingredients For Your Mocha Protein Smoothie
- Milk of choice: Regular milk, almond milk or oat milk are all great options for this breakfast smoothie.
- Chocolate protein powder: Use a good quality protein powder for the best results. (I’ve found that some protein powders can taste grainy and chalky so you might want to test a few before making your smoothie. I love using Quest Nutrition powder for mine!)
- Bananas: Use slightly under ripe bananas (hardly any brown spots) if you don’t want a strong banana flavor in your smoothie. The more ripe the bananas you use, the stronger their flavor will be. (But they’ll also be sweeter too so there’s definitely pro’s & cons. You choose!😉)
- Instant coffee: Use an instant coffee brand you love! (I personally love Starbucks VIA Colombia Instant Coffee. It comes in little packets which makes it so easy to use!)
- Honey: Adds just a touch of sweetness without overdoing it.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Completely optional! But helps give your smoothie a rich dark chocolatey taste!
Let’s Talk Instant Coffee!
The instant coffee you use can really make or break this smoothie recipe. Some tend to be super strong and bitter, while others have almost no taste to them. I would suggest trying a few instant coffee brands before adding them to your smoothie. (I’ve been using Starbucks VIA Colombia Instant Coffee for the last few years and love it! It’s a medium roast so it’s still rich and flavorful without being too overpowering. Definitely recommend it!)
- Can I use regular coffee instead of instant coffee? No. Adding regular coffee will change the flavor and texture of your smoothie.
- What can I replace the honey with in my smoothie? Maple syrup is a great substitute! It still provides sweetness & makes it vegan too! (As long as you’re using a vegan protein powder.)
- Do I have to add a sweetener? Not at all! Depending on how ripe your bananas are, they will naturally sweeten your smoothie enough. (I just love sweeter coffee so I always add some to mine.😉)
- Are protein smoothies healthy for you? YES! They provide so many nutrients your body needs and helps keep you full until your next meal.
Tips For Making The Best Mocha Protein Smoothie
- Blend, Blend, Blend! Want a super thick & creamy smoothie?! The key is to blend! I’ll usually leave the blender going for 1-2 minutes until it’s thick & fluffy.
- Slice your bananas before freezing! This makes them so much easier to blend!
- Want a stronger chocolate flavor? Try using chocolate milk or chocolate almond milk instead!
- Want a stronger coffee flavor? Add ½ -1 teaspoon more of your instant coffee. (If using instant coffee packets, add a half to a full extra packet.)
Why you’ll love this protein smoothie recipe
- So good for you! Lots of protein, fiber and fruit! This smoothie will help keep you full and focused throughout the day!
- Great way to use those leftover bananas! Tired of making banana bread? Slice those babies up and freeze them instead! Now you can make a protein smoothie anytime you want!
- A healthier caffeine fix! Still get your coffee fix in the morning with added nutritional value! It’s a win-win!
Need it gluten free? Look for protein powders that don’t include gluten. (Quest Nutrition is my personal favorite.)
Need it dairy free? Use almond milk or oat milk and look for protein powders that don’t include dairy. (Nuzest is one of my favorite dairy free brands.)
More breakfast recipes you might like:
- Tropical Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- Sourdough French Toast Casserole with Blueberries
- Mixed Berries & Cream French Toast Bake
- Cinnamon Peach Banana Bread
- Stuffed Bagel Bites
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Creamy Protein Mocha Smoothie
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- ½ – 1 banana, sliced & frozen
- 1½ tsp instant coffee*
- 1 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- Add all of your ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Omg this is so good everyone needs to make this!! I could just have this all day!! I used half a banana and I used bustello instant espresso.
Hi Jazz! You’re so sweet! I’m so happy you enjoyed it! 🙂