A mayo-free egg salad loaded with veggies & protein-packed hummus! This hummus egg salad is a great grab & go lunch option or perfect for back to school!
I’ve been on a big egg salad kick lately! (Which is funny because I never really cared for it when I was growing up…) I think it’s because most recipes called for a ridiculous amount of mayo and I was just not about that…and I’m still not. BUT my guacamole egg salad definitely got those wheels turning on other ingredients I could use instead. Cue in hummus egg salad! It’s creamy, herby, slightly salty and my favorite part – completely mayo free! Plus it’s loaded with nutrients and protein and comes together in minutes!
Ingredients For Hummus Egg Salad
- Eggs: Hard boil your eggs a few days beforehand so they’re ready to go!
- Hummus: Use your favorite hummus! Flavored or plain hummus both work for this recipe. (We love Cedar’s Mediterranean hummus!)
- Tomatoes: Add as little or as much as you’d like! (We love using grape or cherry tomatoes.)
- Green onion: Use the green and white parts of the onion for maximum flavor!
- Lemon juice: You’ll only need 2-3 teaspoons for this recipe. (Or just enough to get the consistency/taste you want.)
- Spices: Dried dill, salt and black pepper are all you need!
How To Make Hummus Egg Salad
1. Hard boil your eggs. Use your favorite method to hard boil your eggs then let them cool completely. Once cooled, peel the shells and chop your eggs into bite-sized pieces. Add them to a bowl and set them aside.
2. Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Then chop your tomatoes and slice your green onion and them to the bowl with your eggs.
3. Mix! Add your hummus, dried dill and lemon juice to the bowl and give it a good mix. Then season it with salt and pepper to taste. (Taste again and adjust your seasonings and lemon juice accordingly.)
4. Serve. Serve immediately with pita chips, crackers or over your favorite toasted bread. Or cover the salad and let it chill in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
We love eating this with pita chips (I’m a chips and dip lover at heart😉) but there’s a bunch of different ways you can serve it too. Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Top it over your favorite crackers!
- Spread it on sourdough or whole wheat toast!
- Make it an egg salad & hummus pita wrap!
- Turn it into an egg salad sandwich with sliced tomatoes and lettuce!
- Serve it as a dip with sliced veggies! (Mini peppers, cucumber, etc.)
This egg salad keeps well in the refrigerator! To store it, simply place your salad in an air tight container and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. It should stay good for 3-5 days if stored properly.
- Can I freeze my hummus egg salad? I wouldn’t suggest it. The tomatoes and eggs can turn a weird consistency after being thawed from frozen.
- What’s the best way to hard boil my eggs? This is my go-to method! Place the eggs in a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Boil the eggs for 3 minutes. Then remove the pot from the stove, cover it, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Transfer the eggs to an ice bath once done.
Why you’ll love this hummus egg salad recipe!
- A mayo-free egg salad! We’re replacing mayo with protein-packed hummus for more nutrition & health benefits!
- Quick & easy meal! Hard boil your eggs beforehand to cut down on even more time! You can have this salad ready to go in less than 10 minutes!
- Perfect for meal prepping! Hummus egg salad keeps well in the fridge so you can make this Sunday night & eat it throughout the week!
- Customize it! Not a fan of tomatoes? Leave them out! Love red onion? Use those instead! It’s so easy to tailor this recipe to your own taste & preference!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More recipes you might like:
- Easy Guacamole Egg Salad
- Spinach Salad with Bacon & Hard Boiled Eggs
- Cranberry Apple Tuna Salad Bites
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Hummus Egg Salad
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- ½ cup hummus (use your favorite flavor)*
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¼ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Chop your eggs into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl.
- Then add your hummus, tomatoes, green onion, lemon juice and dried dill and give it a good mix. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. (Adjust your seasonings and lemon juice accordingly.)
- Serve immediately with crackers/pita chips or cover your salad and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 10-20 minutes.