A comforting chicken soup that couldn’t be easier! This chicken avocado lime soup is loaded with fresh Mexican herbs & spices, lots of lime juice & all made in the crockpot! Top it with your favorite tortilla strips for a healthy Fall meal!
This just might be the best crockpot soup recipe you’ll find on the blog! My family’s been making chicken avocado lime soup for years now and it’s so good! (Fun Fact: We served this soup for Christmas Eve dinner every year when I was little, so I’m always reminded of those memories whenever I make it now.🥰) But it couldn’t be any easier! Super simple ingredients, your crockpot literally does all the work and it’s flavor is insanely good!
Very similar to chicken tortilla soup and chicken enchilada soup with it’s ingredients – minus the corn, beans and crushed tomatoes. You won’t even miss them!
Ingredients For Your Crockpot Chicken Soup
- Chicken breast: We use boneless skinless chicken breasts for ours since that’s what we keep on hand. Chicken thighs would also work instead! (I’d suggest using boneless skinless chicken thighs to make shredding easier.)
- Chicken broth: Used as the base of your soup! (You may need to add a little extra salt if using low sodium broth.)
- Avocado: We LOAD this soup up with avocado! (I’d suggest adding avocado to each individual bowl.)
- Lime juice: Always use fresh lime juice! (Bottled lime juice tends to have additives in it that can alter its flavor and make it sweeter.)
- Green onion: Use the green and white parts of the onion for maximum flavor!
- Cilantro: Cut a little extra to use for garnish later!
- Tomatoes: We always use roma tomatoes for ours! (They have the best flavor after being cooked.)
- Jalapenos: Deseed your jalapeno if you don’t want the soup too spicy. (We want the flavor – not the heat!)
- Garlic: Every soup recipe needs a touch of garlic!😉 You’ll need at least 3 garlic cloves!
- Spices: Cumin, salt and black pepper are needed to season your soup!
How To Make Chicken Avocado Lime Soup In The Crockpot
1. Add your ingredients. Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of a crockpot and season them generously with salt and pepper. Then add your chicken stock, green onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno & cumin. Cover the crockpot and turn it on low for 5-7 hours.
2. Shred your chicken. Once done, remove your chicken breasts from the pot and shred them using 2 large forks. Then add the shredded chicken back to the crockpot.
3. Add the finishing touches. Right before serving, add your chopped cilantro and lime juice to the crockpot and a give it a good stir.
4. Serve! Top each individual bowl with avocado, tortilla strips, extra cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Toppings are key when it comes to chicken avocado lime soup! There’s so many yummy options! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Tortilla strips
- AVOCADO! (Lots of avocado is a MUST!😉)
- Chopped cilantro
- Extra sliced green onion
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
Storing and Reheating
This chicken soup is fantastic when it comes to leftovers! We love making a big batch of it on Sunday to have for easy lunches throughout the week! It’s fast, tasty and filling!
- Storing: Pour your leftover soup into an air tight container and keep it stored in the refrigerator. It should stay good for 3-4 days if stored properly.
- Reheating: Either reheat the amount you want in the microwave until it reaches your desired temperature or heat it in a pot on the stove! (Heating it on the stove will keep it hotter longer!)
Can I freeze this soup? YES! Soup keeps so well in the freezer and this one’s no exception! Keep it stored in an airtight container or pour it into heavy-duty freezer bags! It should stay good for up to 4-6 months if stored properly.
- Is it safe to put raw chicken in my slow cooker soup? Yes! It’s completely safe to do so as long as there’s an ample amount of time for the chicken to cook. This soup recipe calls for a minimum cooking time of 5 hours – which is plenty of time to ensure it’s safe to eat.
- Can I use shredded rotisserie chicken instead? Absolutely! It might alter the flavor slightly but will still be delicious!
Why you’ll love this Mexican chicken soup recipe!
- Your crockpot does all the work! Just add your chicken & chop a few ingredients & you’re done! It couldn’t be any easier!
- Cheap & filling! These soup ingredients are pretty inexpensive. You might even have most of them already! Load your soup up with your favorite toppings to make it even more satisfying!
- A flavorful & healthy meal! This chicken soup is loaded with lean protein, healthy fats & lots of fresh Mexican herbs & spices!
- Easy clean up! Crockpot soups are the best – you’re left with only one pot to clean instead of 2 or 3!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More soup recipes you might like:
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Crockpot Chicken Avocado Lime Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless (or about 3-4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 2 32 oz. containers chicken broth*
- 1¼ cup green onion, sliced (green & white parts)
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded & minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 large avocados, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: tortilla strips, extra lime wedges, chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, etc.
- Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot and season them generously with salt and pepper.
- Next add your chicken broth, green onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos and cumin. Cover the crockpot and turn it on low for 5-7 hours.
- Once done, remove your chicken breasts from the pot and shred them using two large forks. Then add the shredded chicken back to the crockpot and stir in your cilantro and lime juice.
- Top each individual bowl with avocado, tortilla strips and a squeeze of lime and serve immediately. (Taste your soup and adjust your salt and pepper accordingly.)