Attention all chicken wing lovers! You have to try these super easy oven baked wings!
I come from a huge football loving family so game days were always a big deal at my house. (Plus Charlie’s a huge football fanatic too so I’m envisioning a lot of game day snacks and treats in my future…) So I better start stocking up on all of those recipes now right?! And one game day snack that never gets old is wings. But not just any wings, oh no, specifically these lemon garlic chicken wings! They’re crispy on the outside yet tender and moist in the middle AND have the BEST lemon flavor that’ll keep your taste buds singing!
Ingredients for lemon garlic chicken wings
- Chicken wings: Look for chicken wings that have the “wing” and “drumette” already separated. (They take much less time to cook and are much easier to prepare!)
- Lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice works the best for this recipe. (You can use bottled juice if you’re in a pinch but it has a very different flavor profile than fresh juice. It’s a little sweeter in my opinion.)
- Lemon zest: Helps to really bring out that lemon flavor!
- Avocado oil: Makes your wings nice and crispy! (I LOVE using avocado oil for wing recipes because it makes them super crispy due to it’s high smoking point. A high smoke point simply means that the oil can cook ingredients at a higher temperature without burning so easily, ie. HELLO CRISPINESS!)
- Garlic: Who doesn’t love a little garlic with lemon right?!
- Seasonings- paprika, salt & pepper: Every recipe needs a little salt and pepper to help bring out those flavors!
What makes these wings healthier?
First and foremost, these wings are BAKED instead of FRIED! Which means we’re using much less oil than traditional wings so they’re won’t be any oily residue while eating them. There’s also no butter, no flour and no breading on these wings too so they’re perfect for anyone who’s gluten free or dairy free!
How to make lemon garlic chicken wings in the oven
This is by far my favorite way to cook wings because they’re able to get crispy on the outside while still staying incredibly tender in the center. Here’s the method I use every time!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a large rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Place a large wired rack on the pan and set it aside.
- Mix the lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, garlic, paprika and salt and pepper together in a bowl. Set it aside. Then pat your chicken wings dry with a paper towel and place them in a large plastic bag. Add your lemon mixture to the bag and shake it to coat completely coat the wings. (You can also let the chicken wings marinate for 30 minutes – 1 hour in the bag too.)
- Next, spray your wired rack with non-stick cooking spray and place the wings on your rack. (Make sure the wings are spead out far enough so that they’re not touching each other.) Bake the wings for 30-35 minutes.
- Once done, squeeze a little extra lemon over the top right before serving.
Tips for making the best lemon & garlic chicken wings
- Make sure to spray your wired rack with non-stick cooking spray or the chicken wings with stick to the rack!
- For extra flavor: Reserve ¼ cup of your mariande BEFORE adding it to the bag with your chicken. Brush this reserved marinade over your wings right after they’re done cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan! If the chicken wings are touching while they bake then they won’t crisp up as well. Make sure they’re spread out evenly in the pan.
Why you’ll love this chicken wing recipe!
- Better for you! Most chicken wing recipes call for frying your wings ina ton of oil…but not this one! A little avocado oil goes a long way here!
- Perfectly cooked! Crispy on the outside yet tender and moist in the middle! Who could say no to that right?!
- Exploding with lemon flavor! Lemon juice AND zest are used in the marinade to really amp up it’s flavor! (Serve them with extra lemon wedges on the side for even more lemony goodness!)
More recipes you might like:
- Baked Cajun Chicken Wings with Avocado Lime Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings
- Spicy Mango BBQ Chicken Wings
- Baked Balsamic Chicken with Caprese Salsa
- Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Crispy Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Place a large wired rack on top of the pan and set it aside while you prepare your wings.
- Next, mix the lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper together in a bowl and set it aside. Pat your chicken wings dry with a paper towel and place them in a large plastic bag. Add your lemon mixture to the bag and shake it until the wings are completely coated.
- Next, spray your wired rack with non-stick cooking spray and place your wings on the rack. (Make sure the wings are spread out enough so they aren't touching each other.) Bake your wings for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once they're done, squeeze a little extra lemon over the top and serve them immediately!