Fresh, easy and no “cooking” required! This delicious shrimp salad has all the flavors of traditional shrimp ceviche in half the time!
Ceviche… just that word alone makes me crave summer! With it’s light citrusy flavors and bright vibrant colors, how could you not want to stuff your face full of it while relaxing on the beach?! (At least that’s what I day dream about anyways…😉) And this cilantro lime shrimp and avocado salad is the best way to satisfy those ceviche cravings in half the time without all the work too!
Ingredients for cilantro lime shrimp & salad
- Frozen precooked shrimp: You can usually find precooked shrimp in the frozen section of any grocery. Any size of shrimp will work for this recipe but I would suggest NOT using bay shrimp! (Teeny tiny little shrimp) They have a much different flavor and texture from most regular shrimp you’ll find in stores.
- Tomatoes: I love using cherry tomatoes for this salad recipe because they have such a bold “tomato-y” flavor. Look for tomatoes that are bright red with no bad spots for the best results. (You can also use regular large vine tomatoes instead and chop them into smaller pieces.)
- Avocado: Adds a little creaminess to your shrimp salad and tones down the tang from your lime juice. Look for avocados that “give” slightly when they’re gently squeezed. (Think the consistency of a ripe peach.)
- Red onion: Adds some crunch and texture to your shrimp salad. (You can also use white or green onion instead.)
- Cilantro: Adds freshness and gives off that zesty summer salad vibe! (Feel free to add as little or as much cilantro as you prefer.)
- Lime juice: A necessity for this ceviche style summer salad! Look for limes that have a smooth skin and are slightly heavier. (These usually yeild the most juice!)
- Salt & pepper: Helps to balance out each individual flavor in your shrimp salad!
How to make cilantro lime shrimp & avocado salad
- Place your chopped shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, onion and cilantro together in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Then add your lime juice and toss the salad until everything is coated.
- Place your shrimp salad in the fridge to chill or serve it immediately!
This shrimp salad is best served cold so I would suggest chilling it for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour before eating.
Why you’ll love this easy shrimp salad
- It’s quick & easy! No cooking required – just chop your ingredients, throw them together in a bowl with a little lime juice and your Mexican shrimp salad is ready to go!
- Protein-packed! Shrimp is a lean protein that’s perfect for most diets, which is exactly why this summer salad is full of it! It’s a healthy low carb option that’s perfect for anyone watching their waistline!
- Easily made ahead of time! Looking for a hassle free seafood salad recipe? This shrimp salad is the dish for you then! Just chop your ingredients the night before and throw it all together when you’re ready to eat!
*If meal prepping this salad for the week: Keep your avocado separate from the rest of your ingredients and add it right before you’re ready to eat.
Serving ideas for cilantro lime shrimp & avocado salad
This shrimp salad is super tasty when eaten on it’s own BUT there’s soo many other fun ways to serve it too!
- Eat it as a shrimp dip with your favorite chips! Tortilla chips or potato chips are both great options for this idea!
- Turn it into a true summer salad & serve it over a bed of lettuce! Add lots of extra lime juice if going this route!
- Make some zesty cilantro lime shrimp tacos! Heat up your favorite corn tortillas then stuff them with shredded cabbage and your shrimp salad! (Tip: A little extra avocado never hurt anyone too!😉)
- Top it over tostada shells! Spread a thin layer of mashed avocado over your tostadas and pile your cilantro lime shrimp salad on top! (This one’s a family favorite in our house and tastes the most like traditionally shrimp ceviche.)
- Make some tasty shrimp “ceviche” nachos! Bake your favorite tortilla chips with a little shredded cheese, then scoop your shrimp salad over the top and serve with extra lime wedges on the side!
- Turn it into shrimp salad lettuce wraps! Scoop your shrimp salad into a few butter lettuce cups and serve it with extra cilantro and a squeeze of lime on top! (This is a great low carb option!)
I hope you all enjoy this cilantro lime shrimp and avocado salad just as much as our family does!
More shrimp recipes you might like:
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- Spicy Shrimp, Mango & Avocado Salad
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Spicy Shrimp & Guacamole Tostadas
- Easy Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad
- 1 lbs. frozen precooked shrimp (thawed, tails taken off & cut into thirds)
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- ½ cup cherry toamotes, halved or quartered
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place your chopped shrimp, avocados, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro together in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Then add your lime juice and toss the salad until it's fully coated.
- Place your salad in the fridge to chill or serve it immediately with your favorite chips.
- If meal prepping this salad for the later: Keep your avocado separate from the rest of your ingredients and add it right before serving.