Easy, decadent and loaded with nutrients! These little bites are only made with 5 ingredients and are the perfect snack when you’re on the go!
Balls, balls and more balls! I just seem to have balls on the brain lately… And these chocolate cherry protein balls are no exception! I feel like I say this about most of my recipes, but THIS recipe is by far my most favorite protein ball recipe of all time! (Probably because it combines my two loves – chocolate and cherries – but really, how can you go wrong with that combo?? ) I just know you all are going to love them too! 🙂
What are the ingredients?
Ok babes first things first, the INGREDIENTS! One of the reasons I love making protein balls is because their ingredients are so simple and super cheap. (And most of the time you already have everything you need on hand so there’s no “running to the store” required. 😉 ) Here’s everything that goes into these packed little balls:
- Almonds – check!
- Dark chocolate – check check! 😉
- Salt – check!
- Dried cherries – (only had to run to the store for these!)
- Dried dates – check!
That’s it! Just 5 simple ingredients and you’re all set for this delicious snack!
Do I have to soak the dates?
Normally I would say no and that soaking the dates is completely optional. BUT I found that with this recipe, it’s definitely needed! The soaked dates actually provide more moisture to balls which makes it much easier for the ingredients to blend together in the food processor.
What kind of chocolate can I use?
I used dark chocolate because I love the combination of dark chocolate and cherries. 🙂 That being said, you can also use semi-sweet or even milk chocolate instead. (If Paleo or vegan, make sure to use dairy free chocolate chips. Enjoy Life Foods has some great dairy free options!)
Do I have to use dried cherries?
No! That’s the beauty of these balls. You can really use any type of dried fruit you want and simply swap it in place of the cherries.
Tips for making these balls:
- The order you add your ingredients to the food processor is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! (If you add the “stickier” ingredients too early, the other ingredients won’t blend in as well.)
- Go in this order: Almonds, chocolate chips, salt, dried cherries, dates
- Use a tablespoon to measure out your balls. I’ve found that a tablespoon will give you a perfect sized ball every time! 🙂
And that’s it babes! Easy peasy and deliciously decadent! Hope you all are having a great Monday!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Chocolate Cherry Protein Balls
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (use dairy free if vegan/paleo)
- ½ cup dates, (pitted & soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes)*
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Optional: ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, to drizzle on top
To make the balls:
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until they become fine crumbs.
- Add the chocolate chips and salt and pulse again.
- Add the dried cherries and dates and pulse until smooth.
- Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls and place them on a tray lined with parchment paper.
To make the chocolate drizzle:
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until they're completely melted. Pour the chocolate into a plastic bag, cut off one of the ends and drizzle the chocolate over the balls.