Fresh corn tortillas are stuffed with spicy salmon, crunchy cabbage & chipotle lime crema & topped with the best mango salsa! They’re the perfect way to spice up your taco night!
Since growing up in San Diego, you can bet I’ve eaten my fair share of fish tacos. (I’m talking like once a week status here.😉) And I don’t mean to toot my own horn or anything, but you could say I’m a bit of a fish taco aficionado… So when I say these chipotle salmon tacos are one of THE BEST fish tacos I’ve made yet – you better believe I’m telling the truth! They’re a little sweet, a little spicy, so easy to make and perfect for a fun family taco night!
Ingredients for chipotle salmon tacos
- Salmon fillets: Use fillets without the skin to make it easier to serve. (We’ll usually by a big bag of frozen salmon from Costco
- Spices: Chipotle powder, chili powder, paprika and salt are all you need for this salmon recipe!
- Chipotle lime crema: Just handful of ingredients go into this sauce that keeps your tacos moist and so full of flavor!
- Mango salsa: Fresh mangos, avocado, cilantro and lime combine together to make the perfect sweet and tangy salsa! (Plus it’s the perfect way to cool down the spice from your salmon and chipotle sauce.)
- Shredded cabbage: Feel free to use green or purple cabbage or even a mixture of the two!
- Corn tortillas: I personally LOVE corn tortillas with any type of fish taco! They just compliment all your flavors perfectly!
How to make chipotle salmon tacos
- Make the chipotle lime crema. Whisk your sauce ingredients together and keep it chilled in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- Prepare your mango salsa. Chop all the ingredients for your salsa and mix them together in a large bowl. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Chop your cabbage. Finely slice your cabbage or slice it with a mandolin.
- Bake the salmon. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then combine your spices and season both sides of the salmon fillets. Place your salmon in the dish and bake for 10-11 minutes. Give your fillets a good squeeze of lime and flake them with a fork once done.
- Heat your tortillas. While the salmon is baking, heat your tortillas on the stove and transfer them to a tortilla warmer to keep warm.
- Assemble your tacos. Take a corn tortilla and layer it with your flaked salmon, chipotle lime crema, cabbage and mango salsa. Serve immediately with extra lime wedges on the side.
Tips for making these salmon tacos:
- Pick ripe mangoes! Ripe mangoes really make all the difference for your mango salsa. (They’re much more juicy and flavorful than underripe ones.) To pick a ripe mango, look for fruit that have a sweet aroma and “give in” slightly when you give them a gentle squeeze. You can also use pre-cut mangoes to make it easier.
- Char your tortillas! Trust me loves, a little char goes a long way. Plus it adds so much flavor and texture too!
- Bottled lime juice can be used in the crema! Don’t have enough fresh limes to make your crema? No worries! Bottled lime juice works just as well.
- Always bake your salmon! Because we’re heavily seasoning the salmon fillets, it’s much easier for the spice to burn if we cook them in a fry pan. Baking the fillets ensures perfectly moist salmon every time and NO burned bits!
- Always serve with extra lime! These tacos can get spicy quick, so the extra lime really helps to cut the heat. (Besides, you can never have too much lime when it comes to fish tacos right?!😉)
Why you’ll love this easy fish taco recipe
- Cooks in minutes! The salmon only takes 10 minutes to bake – meaning dinner’s on the table in no time at all!
- Easy prep! Make the sauce, chop the cabbage and even whip up the mango salsa ahead of time!
- Flavor flavor flavor! Spicy chipotle rubbed salmon, tangy chipotle lime sauce and the best fresh mango salsa! All these flavors combine to make the perfect fish taco fiesta!
More taco recipes you might like:
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos with Mexican Corn Salsa
- Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Jalapeno Crema
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
For the chipotle salmon:
- 1 lb. salmon fillets, without skin (about 3-4 fillets)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Lime, to squeeze over the top
For the mango salsa:
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ¼ of a red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 limes, juiced (depending onhow tangy you want it)
For the chipotle lime crema:
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
For the tacos:
- Cabbage, thinly sliced (green or purple)
- Corn tortillas
- Extra limes, for serving
To make the chipotle lime crema:
- Whisk your crema ingredients together until smooth and keep it chilled in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
To make the mango salsa:
- Mix the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and place it in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
To make the chipotle salmon:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Then mix the chili powder, chipotle powder, paprika and salt together in a bowl and season both sides of your salmon fillets. Place your fillets in the dish and bake for 10-11 minutes. Once done, squeeze the juice of one llime over your salmon and flake them apart with a fork.
- Layer your corn tortillas with salmon, chipotle lime crema, cabbage and mango salsa. Serve with extra lime and enjoy!