Spice up your taco night with these tasty fish tacos! They’re loaded with flavor and are so easy to make too!
Taco night is always the best night in our house. (Anyone else agree?) And if you’re looking for one of the best fish taco recipes out there…well loves, ya found it! These chipotle rubbed fish tacos are so good and so easy to make, I guarantee they’ll become a favorite in no time! They’re a simple hassle free dinner that can easily be prepped beforhand and most importantly – they taste amazing!! Spicy fish, fresh and tangy slaw and the best (and creamiest) avocado sauce to tie it all together! What could be better right?!
The best cilantro lime slaw
Why is this the best cilantro lime slaw? Because it’s made with super simple ingredients, is NOT drenched in a thick mayo-y dressing and can be made in a matter of minutes too!
- Shred your cabbage. (Or slice it super thin.)
- Chop your cilantro (leaves only) and red onion.
- Add all of your ingredinets to a bowl, squeeze your lime juice over the top and toss it until your slaw is fully coated!
How easy is that right?!
Don’t like purple cabbage? Just replace it with an extra cup of green cabbage instead!
What fish is the best to use for fish tacos?
I would suggest using either tilapia or cod for this recipe. They’re both fairly inexpensive and are mild in flavor so they won’t overpower your chipotle seasoning. Plus they’re so easy to cook too!
How to cook your fish for tacos
There are 3 ways to cook your fish for these tacos; grilling, baking & pan frying.
- Grilling: Preheat your grill to medium and spray or rub your grates with oil. Once hot, place your fish on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until their opaque and cooked all the way through.
- Baking: Preheat your oven to 375 degress and spray a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place your tilapia pieces in the dish and bake them for 20-25 minutes. (Every oven is different so you might want to start checking them around 15 minutes to see how much longer they need.)
- Pan frying: Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Once hot, add your fish and cook for 3-5 minutes per side. (Make sure to work in batches so you don’t over crowd the pan!)
How do you know when your fish is done? Whether you’re using tilapia or cod, your fish should be an opaque “white” color all the way through and flake easily.
Tips for making chipotle rubbed fish tacos:
- Use a mandalin to slice your cabbage! It’s goes faster and you can make your slices finer too.
- Make up the slaw and avocado sauce ahead of time! Just don’t put the lime juice over the slaw until you’re ready or the purple cabbage will turn everything purple!
- Charr those tortillas! Trust me loves, a little charr goes a long way and adds so much flavor to these already delicious tacos!
More recipes you might like:
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Lime Sauce
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos with Mexican Corn Salsa
- Spicy Shrimp & Guacamole Tostadas
- Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Chipotle Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw & Avocado Sauce
For the chipotle rubbed fish tacos:
- 1½ lbs. tilapia, about 4-5 pieces (or your favorite white fish)*
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: cotija cheese & extra lime wedges
For the cilantro lime slaw:
- 3 cups green cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 cup purple cabbage, sliced thin (optional, or you can use all green)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ of a red onion, chopped
- 3-4 limes, juiced (depending on how tangy you want it)
For the avocado sauce:
- 2 large avocados
- ½ cup cilantro (leaves & stems are ok)
- 4 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- Water, to thin out your sauce it needed
To make the cilantro lime slaw:
- Add your green and purple cabbage, cilantro and red onion to a bowl and squeeze your lime juice over the top. Toss your slaw together until it's fully coated. Set is aside.
To make the avocado sauce:
- Place add of your ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. (If the sauce is too thick to your liking, add a splash of water and blend it again until your reach your desired consistency.)
To make the fish tacos:
- Lay your tilapia pieces out on a tray and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then combine all of your spices together and sprinkle them over both sides of your fish.
- Next, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Once it's hot, add your fish to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until they're opaque all the way through. (It's ok to work in batches so you don't over crowd the pan.) Once done, place your tilapia in a bowl and falke your pieces apart with a fork.
- To assemble your tacos: Take a tortilla and layer it with your avocado sauce, flaked chipotle fish and cilantro slaw. Sprinkle any additional toppings on top and enjoy!