The BEST tacos for an easy weeknight meal! They’re full of flavor, ready in minutes and always a huge hit!
Tacos, tacos and more tacos! That seems to be all that my body and soul wants lately… Which is kind of ironic because, did I eat my body weight in tacos last weekend in Palm Springs? YES! Did I also make tacos the day after I got home? YES. Should I have turned into a taco by now?! Definitely yes!😂 But since we’re still waiting for that to happen, I have yet another taco recipe I’ve just been dying to share with you all – chili lime shrimp tacos with avocado jalapeno crema! They’re super simple to make, are incredibly flavorful with just a touch of heat AND you can easily prep all the ingredients ahead of time too!
Ingredients for chili lime shrimp tacos
- Raw shrimp: Look for shrimp that’s already peeled and deveined to cut down on prep time. (We’ll usually by the giant Costco-sized bag of frozen shrimp whenever we’re making these taocs. It’s pretty cheap and you still get A TON of shrimp for the price!)
- Spices & limes: Chili powder, paprika, salt, cayenne and lots of fresh limes are all you need for these shrimp tacos! (You can also leave out the cayenne if you don’t want your shrimp too spicy. 😉 )
- Corn tortillas: I’ve found that corn tortillas taste the best when it comes to seafood tacos and tend to hold up better to the ingredients too.
- Optional toppings: I love keeping these tacos pretty simple when it comes to toppings because the shrimp and crema are super flavorful on their own. That being said, feel free to use your favorite taco toppings too! (Here’s a few of my personal favorites: shredded lettuce/cabbage, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, cotija cheese & hot sauce.)
- Avocado jalapeno crema: The perfect combo of creamy and tangy with just a touch of heat! (Plus it pairs so well with your shrimp and other toppings too!)
How to make the best chili lime shrimp tacos
- Make the crema: Blend your crema ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Keep it chilled in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Cook your shrimp: Take the tails off your shrimp and place them in a large plastic bag. Then mix your spices together and pour them into the bag with your shrimp. Squeeze ½ a lime over the shrimp, seal the bag and shake it until the shrimp are completely coated. Then heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Once it’s hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and add your shrimp. (Make sure the shrimp are in a single layer and not overlapping. You may need to do this in 2 batches.) Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side or until done.
- Assemble your tacos: Layer your corn tortillas with shrimp, shredded lettuce/cabbage, tomatoes, red onion and your crema. Sprinkle a little cotija cheese over the top and serve! (I also love serving these tacos with extra lime wedges on the side too!)
Why you’ll love this shrimp taco recipe
- Easy to make! A minimal ingredient sauce and the shrimp cooks in minutes too! These shrimp tacos are one of my favorite meals for during the week because they’re super simple but still so flavorful!
- Prep ahead of time! Make it easier on yourself and whip up the crema the night before (or morning of) and cut all your toppings too! Then just pull it all together when you’re ready to eat!
- Double it! This recipe is so easy to double which makes it perfect for serving a large family or if you want leftovers for lunch during the week too!
Other Serving Ideas
Not feeling tacos?! No worries loves! Try one of these other easy weeknight dinner ideas instead!
- Chili Lime Shrimp Taco Salad: Throw some shredded lettuce in a bowl and top it with your shrimp, other taco toppings and a dollop of your avocado crema on top! (The creama acts like the dressing!)
- Spicy Shrimp Nachos: Lay some tortilla chips out on a baking sheet and layer them with shredded cheese and your chili lime shrimp and bake until the cheese has melted. Then top your nachos with tomatoes, red onion and a dollop of sour cream and avocado crema!
- Shrimp Quesadillas: Sprinkle some cheese over half a large flour tortilla and place your shrimp on top. Fold the other half of your tortilla over shrimp and heat it in a skillet until cripsy on both sides. Serve it with your avocado crema!
- Shrimp Taco Bowls: Place some rice or cauliflower rice in a bowl and top it with your chili lime shrimp, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, cotija cheese, avocado crema and your favorite salsa! (Try adding black beans or even fresh mango for a little extra protein & flare!)
Need a gluten free version? Good news, they’re already gluten free! (Just make sure to use corn tortillas!)
Need a dairy free version? Replace the sour cream with dairy free sour cream and omit the cheese! (Or use your favorite vegan feta cheese instead.)
More recipes you might like:
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos with Mexican Corn Salsa
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Jalapeno Crema
For the shrimp tacos:
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne (omit if you don't want them spicy)
- ½-1 lime
- Corn tortillas
- Other optional toppings: lettuce, cabbage, chopped tomatoes, cotija cheese, salsa, lime wedges, etc.
For the avocado jalapeno sauce:
- 2 small avocados (or 1 large)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded
- 2 limes lime, juiced (about 4 Tbsp)
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1-2 Tbsp water (to thin it out if needed)
To make the crema:
- Place your avocado, cilantro, sour cream, jalapeno, lime juice and garlic salt together in a food processor and blend until smooth. (Add water to thin it out if needed.) Keep your crema chilled in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
To make the shrimp:
- Take the tails off your shrimp and place them in a large plastic bag. Then mix your spices together and pour them into the bag with your shrimp. Squeeze your lime over the top, seal the bag and shake it until the shrimp is completely coated.
- Next, heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Once it's hot, add your shrimp and cook the for 2-3 minutes per side or until done. (Make sure the shrimp is in a single layer and not overlapping. You may need to do this in 2 batches.)
To assemble the tacos:
- Heat your tortillas and layer them with chili lime shrimp, your favorite taco toppings and avocado crema. Serve immediately with extra lime wedges on the side.
- Gluten Free Version: Already gluten free!
- Dairy free version: Replace the sour cream with dairy free sour cream and omit the cotija cheese. (Or use your favorite vegan feta cheese.)