An easy appetizer made with Tostito’s scoops, homemade guacamole & chili lime shrimp! These shrimp & guacamole bites are a must-make for your next football party!
Once football season starts I immediately go in GAME DAY RECIPE mode! Mainly because I know every Sunday our apartment will be flooded with men and their hearty appetites… (Thanks to my social butterfly of a husband!😂) So this gal needs quick, easy, hearty appetizers to whip up STAT! Cue in these chili lime shrimp and guacamole bites! I found this idea a few years ago on Pinterest and they’re soo good! Super easy to make, so flavorful and always a hit at every football party!
Ingredients For Shrimp Guacamole Bites
- Shrimp: I used extra large shrimp for mine. (21-25 count) I liked this size because they weren’t too big for the chips but still made this appetizer pretty hearty.
- Garlic: One minced garlic clove is sautéed with your shrimp.
- Lime: Cut extra lime wedges for serving in case guests want to squeeze some over their shrimp bites!
- Spices: You’ll need chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and cayenne to season your shrimp. (Omit the the cayenne if you don’t want spicy shrimp.)
- Cilantro: You’ll only need enough to sprinkle over your bites after assembling them. (Only use the leaves and not the stems for this.) Sometimes I’ll add some cilantro to the shrimp while they cook too!
- Guacamole: Use homemade or your favorite store bought guacamole.
- Tostito’s scoops: The perfect vessel for your shrimp bites! (Regular tortilla chips can be used as a replacement.)
How To Make Shrimp & Guacamole Bites
1. Make your guacamole (if using homemade guacamole). Mix your guacamole ingredients together then keep it covered in the refrigerator while you prepare your shrimp.
2. Cook your shrimp. Add your shrimp, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, cayenne (if using), garlic and lime juice to a bowl and give it a good mix. Then sauté your shrimp over medium high heat until they’re cooked all the way through. (About 2 minutes per side.) You may need to do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Let them cool slightly once done.
4. Assemble your shrimp bites. Place a dollop of guacamole in the center of each Tostito scoop and place 1 shrimp on top. (You can lay the shrimp down or stand them up straight.) Then sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top and serve immediately.
Let’s Talk Guacamole!
Feel free to make your own guacamole or use your favorite store bought brand! If you’re making your own, I’d suggest using a more simple guacamole recipe to compliment the shrimp and not overpower them. Here’s the recipe I use for mine:
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion stalk, sliced
- ½ a lime, juiced
- Garlic salt, to taste
Mix it all up and you’re ready to go!
- Are shrimp and guacamole bites served hot or cold? These bites are best served when the shrimp is at room temperature. If you’d prefer your shrimp cold then you can refrigerate them until you’re ready to assemble your bites. I wouldn’t suggest assembling them with hot shrimp though. (They can make your tortilla chips soggy faster!)
- Can I prep these bites beforehand? The shrimp and guacamole can be made beforehand but don’t assemble the bites until you’re ready to serve. (The tortilla chips can become soggy from the guacamole after sitting for a while.)
- Can I store my leftover shrimp and guacamole bites? Unfortunately these bites don’t keep well after they’re assembled. I would suggest only assembling the amount you think you’ll need if you want any leftovers. (They’re super easy to put together so you can always make more if you run out during your party.)
- Do I have to use Tostito’s scoops? Not at all! (I just love how they look and they keep the guacamole corralled.😉) Regular tortilla chips can be used instead if you prefer.
Why you’ll love this shrimp appetizer recipe!
- Perfect for game day! Chips & guacamole is always a popular football party snack! Adding spicy shrimp to the mix takes it over the top!
- A hearty appetizer! Shrimp’s a lean protein that’s filling & delicious! Add in some guacamole and you’ve got a healthy appetizer everyone will love!
- So much fun! Stand your shrimp up in the tortilla cups for a more show stopping look!
- So easy! Tortilla chips, guacamole, seasoned shrimp – DONE! Spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your guests!
More appetizer recipes you might like:
- Lemon Roasted Shrimp Cocktail
- Baked Cranberry & Brie Bites
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Easy Mexican Street Corn Dip
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Chili Lime Shrimp & Guacamole Bites
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne (optional)
- Guacamole (homemade or store bought)
- Tostitos scoops
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Add your shrimp, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, cayenne (if using), garlic and lime juice to a bowl and give it a good mix.
- Next heat a pan over medium-high heat and spray it with cooking spray.
- Once hot, add your shrimp and cook for 2 minutes per side or until they're cooked all the way through. (You may need to do this in batches so you don't overcrowd the pan.) Set them aside once done.
- To assemble, place a dollop of guacamole in the center of each Tostito scoop and place 1 shrimp on top. (You can lay the shrimp down or stand them up straight.) Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top and serve immediately.