Every once in while I remember a dish from my childhood and think, “why haven’t I tried remaking this?” And that’s exactly how this chile relleno frittata was born!
This dish was originally a chile relleno casserole that my mom loved to make when I was little. Of course back then it was loaded with ground beef and globs cheese and let’s not even bring up how much flour and butter she used to hold it all together… (Sorry mom, it was still delicious though!) But basically it reminded me of a frittata. So PRESTO! I turned that sucker into a frittata! 😉
So what really is a chile relleno Caitlin? Well I’m glad you asked!
Chile Relleno: a green chile pepper stuffed with minced meat, covered in an egg batter and fried
Sounds delicious doesn’t it?? Trust me they are! They’re also crazy high is fat and calories and while I don’t like talking about those two things specifically on this blog, I do try to steer more towards healthy cooking. So a healthy frittata made with all the same delicious ingredients it was!
If you’ve been following me for a while, then you know I LOVE making frittatas. (It was a bit of a rocky start, but once I got the hang of them there was just no turning back!) They’re cheap, incredibly EASY to make and a great way to use up all those leftovers. Just like this recipe! Everything I needed to make it, I already had at home. 🙂 You just can’t beat that!
List of ingredients & they’re (possible) substitutions:
- Ground turkey: I love ground turkey and would probably use it for every recipe I could! But if you don’t have it, any other type of ground meat would work just as well. (Beef, pork, chicken, sausage, turkey/chicken sausage, etc.)
- Red onion
- White cheddar cheese: This one’s a total preference too! I had white cheddar on hand, so I used white cheddar. Regular cheddar, Monterrey jack, colby jack, pepper jack… Almost any cheese would work here really. (I try to use a “stronger” cheese to give the frittata a ton of flavor.)
- Hot sauce: Again another personal preference. I used La Victoria’s Salsa Brava for this but feel free to use your favorite hot sauce!
And that’s all there is to it!
Best part about this recipe though? EASY MEAL PREP! You can either make it in a pan like I did and portion it out for the week. Or you can easily turn this into frittata muffins/cups! I’ll leave the directions for both in the recipe below.
Hope you all are enjoying your day loves! 🙂
[Tag me on social media to see all your recreations! @kaleit_inthekitchen]
Chile Relleno Frittata
- 6 eggs
- ½ lb ground turkey*
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 3 4oz. cans diced green chiles (I used 2 mild & 1 hot)**, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese***
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs and hot sauce together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place turkey and onions in a 9in cast iron skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Add the green chiles.
- Turn the burner down to medium and add the egg mixture. (Make sure to spread the filling out evenly) Sprinkle cheese over the top and continue to cook until the sides of the frittata just begin to set.
- Place skillet in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes. (The center should NOT jiggle when it's done!)
Want even more frittata recipes? Check these out!