Alright babes, there comes a time when you find that one MIND BLOWING recipe and you just have to share it with everyone you know. This is that recipe. I’m talking about these ooey gooey butternut squash brownies!
Now before you say NO simply because “there’s vegetables in it”, hold up! First, you can’t even taste the squash that’s in it. Second, the squash actually adds to it’s incredibly fudgy texture. And third, well come on are you really going to turn down a brownie?? (I know I sure as hell wouldn’t.) Especially when I found out that they’re also refined sugar free and made without any oil or butter! Sound too good to be true? Well they’re not!
The key here really is the butternut. Not only does it add to the texture, but it also adds a subtle sweetness that let’s you get away with not adding in a ton of sugar too! You can even decrease the amount of sugar to a 1/2 cup if you prefer your brownies a little more on the dark chocoalte-y side. (My family loves their sweets so I always err on the sweeter side for them.)
Real talk loves – These brownies are very near and dear to my heart because they’re the first actual recipe that I developed myself. No changing the recipes of others just slightly, no consulting with the baking goddess (aka my mom), but from start to finish it was just me, my oven and a pantry stocked full of goods. And I have to say, they came out perfect! I almost prefer them over regular brownies now, which is HUGE coming from a chocoholic like me.
I hope you give them a try and let me know what you think!
Butternut Squash Brownies
- 1 cup butternut squash puree*
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the squash puree, eggs and vanilla. Stir in the coconut sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add this to your wet ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a prepared 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes.