A zesty salad that’s loaded with hearty black beans, fresh mango, lots of veggies & creamy avocado all tossed in lime juice with a touch of spice! This black bean, mango & avocado salad is the perfect blend of sweet & savory and so refreshing for summer!
This black bean, mango and avocado salad always reminds me of hot summer days laying by the pool. It’s a quick and easy recipe that’s absolutely delicious and pairs well with some many different things. You can use it as a side dish, spoon it over your favorite protein or even eat it with chips! Either way you have it, it’s sooo good! Plus it’s loaded with protein and lots of fresh veggies making it the perfect summertime salad!
Ingredients For Your Black Bean Salad
- Canned black beans: Used as the base of your salad. (We usually buy low sodium or salt free canned black beans for this recipe.)
- Fresh mango: Use ripe or slightly underripe mangos for the best results. (Overripe mangos will become mushy and stringy as the salad sits.) Look for mangos that give in slightly when you give them a gentle squeeze – that’s when you’ll know they’re ripe and ready to go!
- Corn: I strongly suggest using fresh corn for this salad. It adds a fun pop of texture and sweetness that just can’t be replicated with frozen corn. (That being said, frozen corn will work if you’re in a pinch too. Just make sure to completely thaw it and drain as much liquid as possible from the kernels.)
- Avocado: Use avocados that are slightly underripe or just turning ripe for the best results. (They’ll hold up much better after being mixed with the rest of your ingredients. Overripe avocados tend to turn mushy after the salad sits for a while.)
- Bell pepper: Red, orange or yellow bell peppers work the best for this salad because they tend to be a little sweeter.
- Red onion: Adds texture and a much needed “bite” to your salad. (Plus they’re sweeter than white or yellow onion and pair much better with the rest of your ingredients.)
- Cilantro: Adds so much freshness! (Both the leaves and stems can be used for this recipe.)
- Lime juice: Used as the “dressing” for your black bean salad! (Always use fresh lime juice if possible. Store bought lime juice tends to have additives in it that can alter the flavor of your salad.)
- Seasonings: Chili powder, salt and black pepper are all you needs to spice up your black bean salad!
How To Make Black Bean Mango & Avocado Salad
- Prepare your corn. If using fresh corn: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and shuck your corn cobs. Once boiling, add your corn cobs to the pot and let them boil for 1½-2 minutes. Then remove your corn from the pot and discard your water. Allow the corn to cool completely before cutting off the kernels and adding them to a large bowl. If using frozen corn: Thaw and drain as much liquid as possible from the kernels before adding them to your bowl.
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Drain and rinse your black beans, dice your mangos and bell pepper and finely chop your onion and cilantro.
- Mix. Add all your prepped ingredients to the bowl with your corn and pour your lime juice over the top. Stir and add your chili powder and salt and black pepper to taste, then stir again.
- Chill & serve! Cover your salad and let it chill in the fridge for at least one hour. Right before serving, add your avocado and give it a good stir. Serve immediately.
This salad is best served cold so I recommend chilling it for at least 1 hour before serving.
We love serving this salad as a side dish for potlucks, BBQ’s or any type of family get-together! It’s sweet and savory flavors pair so well with so many different dishes and guests always love how refreshing it is too!
- Meats: Carne asada/pollo asada, bbq chicken, grilled steak, hamburgers/turkey burgers
- Seafood: Grilled salmon, white fish with lemon & butter, shrimp/shrimp skewers
- Serve it with tortilla chips for a fun “chips & dip”!
- Use it as “salsa” for tacos, tostadas or even nachos!
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Yes! You can prepare all of your ingredients (except the avocado) at least 1-2 days in advance. Keep them covered in a large bowl in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. Then add your avocado, lime juice, chili powder and salt and pepper right before serving.
- Do I have to cook my corn? No! In fact it’s perfectly safe to eat raw corn. If you don’t have time to boil your corn beforehand, you can cut the kernels right off the cob and add them to your salad.
- How do I store my leftover black bean and mango salad? Place your leftover salad in an airtight container and keep it stored in the fridge. (I’d suggest picking out the avocado pieces if you’re nervous about them turning brown. You can always add more avocado when you eat the salad again.)
- Can you freeze black bean and mango salad? I would not recommend freezing this salad as most of your ingredients will become mushy after it’s been thawed.
Why you’ll love this black bean salad recipe
- A hearty side dish! Loaded with protein rich black beans and lots of veggies! This filling salad would be perfect for picnics, potlucks or any gathering with a lot of people!
- Slightly sweet & refreshing! Fresh corn & chunks of mango add just the right amount of sweetness to this salad without overdoing it. Toss them with creamy avocado & lots of lime & you’ve got the perfect salad to cool down on a hot day!
- Doubles as a dip or a salsa! Have some tortilla chips on hand? Use them to gobble up this black bean salad!
More salad recipes you might like:
- Avocado Tomato & Mozzarella Salad
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Taco Dressing
- Avocado Salsa Shrimp Salad
- Avocado & Feta Greek Salad
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Black Bean Mango & Avocado Salad
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 medium mangos, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (cooked or frozen & thawed)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ of a red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 limes, juiced (or more if needed)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Add your black beans, mango, corn, bell pepper, red onion and cilantro to a large bowl. Then squeeze your lime juice over the top and toss the salad until it's fully coated. Stir in your chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Then place your salad in the fridge to chill for at least one hour to chill. Right before serving, add your avocado and toss again. Serve immediately.
- How to cook your fresh corn: Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove and remove the husk from your corn cob. Once the water begins to boil, add your corn and boil for 1½-2 minutes. Then remove the corn and discard the water. Allow your corn to cool completely before cutting off the kernels.