A zesty salad loaded with black beans, fresh mango, lots of veggies & creamy avocado all tossed in lime juice with a touch of spice! This black bean, mango & avocado salad is so refreshing & perfect for summer potlucks!
This black bean, mango and avocado salad always reminds me of hot summer days laying by the pool. It’s a quick and easy recipe that’s absolutely delicious and pairs well with some many different things. You can use it as a side dish, spoon it over your favorite protein or even eat it with chips! Either way you have it, it’s sooo good! Plus it’s loaded with protein and lots of fresh veggies making it the perfect summertime salad!
Ingredients For Your Black Bean Salad
- Canned black beans: Used as the base of your salad.
- Mangoes: We love using ataulfo mangoes! They’re a little sweeter and less stringy than regular mangoes. (Plus it’s easier to find ripe ones too!) Use ripe or slightly under ripe mangoes for the best results.
- Corn: Fresh corn works the best for this salad!
- Avocado: Use as much or as little as you want! (You’ll be adding avocado to each individual bowl after the salad’s been made.)
- Bell pepper: Red, orange or yellow bell peppers can be used here! (They’re sweeter than green bell peppers and pair better with the rest of your ingredients.)
- Red onion: You’ll need about half an onion for this recipe. (Finely chop your onion to for the best results! No one wants to bite into a big chunk of onion.😉)
- Cilantro: Use the leaves and stems for maximum flavor!
- Lime juice: Used as the “dressing” for your black bean salad! You’ll need just enough juice to coat the salad.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, salt and black pepper are needed to season your black bean salad!
How To Make Black Bean Mango & Avocado Salad
1. Prepare your corn. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and shuck the corn (remove the husks and silk). Once boiling, add your corn cobs to the pot and let them boil for 1½-2 minutes. Then remove the corn from the pot and discard the water. Allow the corn to cool completely before cutting off the kernels and adding them to a large bowl.
2. Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Drain and rinse your black beans, dice your mangos and bell pepper and finely chop your onion and cilantro.
3. Mix. Add your prepped ingredients to the bowl with your corn and pour your lime juice over the top. Toss and add your chili powder, salt and black pepper to taste. (I’m pretty generous with the amount of salt I use.) Then adjust your seasonings if needed.
4. Chill & serve! Cover your salad and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Right before serving, add your avocado and serve immediately. (We’ll usually serve it with lime wedges in case anyone wants a little extra lime too.)
This black bean salad is perfect as a side dish for summer potlucks, barbecues or picnics! It’s sweet and savory flavors pair so well with so many dishes and it’s always a hit with guests! Here are few ways we love to serve it!
- With tortilla chips for a fun spin on chips and dip!
- Use it as “salsa” for tacos, tostadas or even nachos!
- As a side dish for meats: Carne asada/pollo asada, bbq chicken, grilled steak, hamburgers/turkey burgers, etc.
- As a side dish for seafood: Grilled salmon, white fish with lemon & butter, grilled shrimp skewers, etc.
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Yes! You can prepare all of your ingredients (except the avocado) at least 1-2 days in advance. Keep them covered in a large bowl in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. Then add your avocado, lime juice, chili powder and salt and pepper right before serving.
- Do I have to cook my corn? No! In fact it’s perfectly safe to eat raw corn. If you don’t have time to boil your corn beforehand, you can cut the kernels right off the cob and add them to your salad.
- How do I store my leftover black bean and mango salad? Place your leftover salad in an airtight container and keep it stored in the refrigerator. (I’d suggest picking out the avocado pieces if you’re nervous about them turning brown. You can always add more avocado when you eat the salad again.)
- Can you freeze black bean and mango salad? I wouldn’t recommend freezing it. Most of your ingredients will have a mushy texture after they thaw.
Why you’ll love this black bean salad recipe!
- A satisfying side dish! Loaded with protein-packed black beans & lots of veggies! This filling salad would be perfect for summer picnics or lounging by the pool! (It’s a great poolside snack!)
- Fresh seasonal produce! Fresh sweet corn, chunks of juicy mango & lots of creamy avocado! This salad is full of peak season produce that’s full of flavor!
- Doubles as a dip or a salsa! Serve this salad with your favorite tortilla chips or spoon it over tostada shells (with mashed avocado) for a fun & tasty treat!
More salad recipes you might like:
- Grilled Asparagus Salad with Lemon & Feta
- Summer Corn Salad with Avocado
- Mexican Street Corn Kale Salad
- Fresh Fruit Salad with Honey-Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Black Bean Mango & Avocado Salad
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 small mangos, diced*
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (about 2 large ears of corn)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ of a red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 limes, juiced (or enough to coat the salad)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Add your black beans, mango, corn, bell pepper, red onion and cilantro to a large bowl. Then squeeze your lime juice over the top and toss until the salad is fully coated.Stir in your chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. (I'm pretty generous with the salt.)
- Then cover and place your salad in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
- Right before serving, add your avocado and toss again. Serve immediately with extra lime juice, if desired.