Easy, spicy and full of so much flavor! This delicious salsa is so versatile and the perfect appetizer for any occasion!
Salsas and dips are some of my favorite appetizers to make. And with the Super Bowl right around the corner you can bet I’m already planning out our game day spread! 😉 I’m thinking wings, lot’s of guac and definitely this easy black bean, corn and avocado salsa! (Especially since it’s already been requested about 5-6 times from Charlie’s family & mine…) But that’s how you know you’ve got a winning recipe, right?! It’s super falvorful and easy to make, requires minimal ingredients and is always a huge hit at every party too!
- Black beans: The basis of your salsa! (This adds a ton of protein to your salsa and makes it hearty
- Corn: Adds a little bit of sweetness! (Can use fresh or frozen corn. See the section below for directions on preparing both.)
- Cherry tomatoes: Adds that pop of freshness and color to your salsa! (You can also use larger tomaotes too. Just amke sure to cut them small enough to match the rest of your ingredients.)
- Avocado: Provides creaminess that balances out the spice and tang from your other flavors.
- Red onion: Compliments your other flavors and adds a little bit of crunch too.
- Jalapeno: Adds a touch of heat to your salsa and even more crunch!
- Cilantro: Provides that op of freshness that every good salsa needs.
- Lime juice: Blends all of your flavors together and gives some tanginess to your dish.
- Salt: Helps to elevate each individual flavor.
- Cayenne pepper: Gives your salsa that little kick of spice right at the end!
Should I use fresh or frozen corn?
Either works well for this recipe! I personally prefer using fresh corn if I can find it, but frozen is also a great substitute! Here’s are a few tips for preparing both:
- For frozen corn: Make sure to thaw your corn completely according to the package before adding it to your salsa! (Frozen corn contains A LOT of moisture, so if it’s still frozen when you add it your salsa can become very watery!)
- For fresh corn: Bring a pot of water to a boil and add your corn cobs once it begins to boil. Boil the corn for 1½ – 2minutes, then remove the cobs and discard the water. Let your corn to cool slightly before cutting the kernels off the cob.
How to make black bean, corn & avocado salsa
I love making salsa, especially this one, for so many reasons! 1) Because they’re so simple and easy to put together. 2) I can prep them beforehand or even a few days in advance. 3) They usually require very few ingredients. (Or at least ingredients that are easy to prepare.) 4) You basically just throw everything into a bowl and you’re good to go! I mean, who doesn’t love a recipe like that right?!
- Begin by draining and rinsing your black beans, then adding them to a large bowl.
- Next, chop your tomatoes, avocado, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro and add them to your black beans.
- Then add your corn, salt and cayenne and drizzle it with your lime juice. Toss everything together until it’s fully coated in the juice.
- Place your salsa in the fridge to chill for at leasat 30 minutes before serving.
*You don’t need to worry about the avocado turning brown if you make this salsa ahead of time! Because of the amount of lime juice we’re using in this recipe, it actually acts as a preservative for the avocado and keeps it looking bright and green as if you just cut it. (However if adding the avocado so early kinda freaks you out, you can always add it right before serving too! 🙂 )
What do I serve with this salsa?
This salsa doesn’t just have to be for chips. You can also serve it with a variety of different things too! Here are a few of our favorite ways to serve it!
- Use it as a salsa for tacos or burritos!
- Top it over a taco salad for some added protein and spice!
- Serve it as a side dish with your favorite Mexican meal!
- Add some cheese and use it as a filling for quesadillas!
- Sprinkle it over your nachos for a hearty treat!
I can’t wait to hear how much you love this black bean, avocado and corn salsa! I just know it’ll be a hit at your game day party too!
Hope you’re all having a great day loves!
More recipes like this:
- Easy Mexican Street Corn Dip
- Lightened Up Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos with Mexicna Corn Salsa
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- Baked Cajun Chicken Wings with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salsa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn (can be fresh or frozen)*
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ½ of a small red onion, diced
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, deseeded & minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix all of your ingredients together in a large bowl until everything is coated in your lime juice. Then place the salsa in the ridge to chill until you're ready to eat. Serve it with your favorite tortilla chips!