Flour tortillas are layered with bbq sauce, fresh mozzarella, shredded bbq chicken and onion then baked until crispy and garnished with fresh cilantro. These easy tortilla pizzas are cheesy, delicious and a fun meal the whole family will enjoy!
If you’ve never made tortilla pizzas…this is your sign to make some ASAP! I’ve been making these yummy bbq chicken tortilla pizzas for as long as I can remember and they hit the spot every single time. They’re simple to make, are cheaper and easier than regular pizza, loaded with flavor and so good for a quick lunch or light dinner. Basically they’re the pefect “I’m hungry but don’t know what to make and I have no energy to whip up an entire meal” food.😉 Plus hello- bbq chicken, flakey crust, gooey bubbly cheese…what’s not to love right?!
Ingredients for Your BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizzas
- Flour tortillas: Flour tortillas are a must! (Corn tortillas will not work for this recipe.) We usually use “soft taco” size tortillas or you can use larger “burrito” size tortillas if you prefer.
- Shredded chicken: Use pre-shredded rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep or bake your own chicken breasts and shred them yourself!
- BBQ sauce: An essential ingredient for any bbq chicken pizza! (I love using Stubbs Sweet Heat for this recipe. It’s the perfect blend of spicy & sweet!)
- Mozzarella cheese: Fresh mozzarella or pre-shredded mozzarella both work for your tortilla pizzas.
- Red onion: Adds flavor and texture! (White onion can be substituted if you prefer.)
- Cilantro: A sprinkle over the top helps take your pizzas to the next level!
How To Make BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizzas In The Oven
- Prepare your oven. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and place a large cookie sheet or pizza stone in the oven while it’s heating.
- Prepare your tortillas & bbq chicken. Once the oven is ready, place your tortillas on the hot cookie sheet or pizza stone and bake them for 4-5 minutes. (Your tortillas should be slightly crisp with the edges just starting to turn brown.) While the tortillas are baking, mix a small amount of your barbecue sauce with your shredded chicken then set it aside.
- Assemble your tortilla pizzas. When the tortillas are done, pull them out of the oven and spread a thin layer of barbecue sauce over each one. Then layer it with your mozzarella cheese, shredded bbq chicken and red onions.
- Bake. Place the pan with your pizzas back in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the edges are crispy.
- Serve! Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top, cut and serve immediately.
Help – My tortillas didn’t crisp up! What went wrong?
Three things might have happened here:
- Your tortillas didn’t bake long enough before adding your toppings. We want the tortillas slightly crisp and just starting to brown on the edges before adding your toppings. If your tortillas are still soft and very pliable, let them bake for 1-2 more minutes.
- You put way too much sauce and/or toppings on top. Overloading your tortillas will make it harder for them to bake correctly in the oven. Less is more for this recipe!
- Your pizzas sat for too long after adding your toppings. Working fast is key here! Make sure to only add your sauce and toppings right before you put the tortillas back in the oven to bake. The longer they sit out with your toppings, the more soggy they’ll become and won’t crisp up while baking.
- Do I have to use flour tortillas? Yes. Corn tortillas will not crisp up as well in the oven.
- Can you use wraps as a pizza base? Yes! Wrap pizzas work the same as tortilla pizzas! (Plus they’re bigger so you can make them for a larger group.)
- Can I save my leftover BBQ chicken tortilla pizzas? I personally would not suggest it. These tortilla pizzas don’t hold up overnight and can become soggy. They’re best if eaten when fresh.
- Can I prep any ingredients beforehand? Absolutely! You can bake your tortillas, mix your barbecue sauce and shredded chicken together and cut your onion and cilantro 1-2 days in advance. To store your ingredients, place your baked tortillas in a plastic bag and store your shredded bbq chicken, onions and cilantro in separate air tight containers in the fridge. Your ingredients should last for 2-3 days if stored correctly.
Why you’ll love this BBQ chicken tortilla pizza recipe
- So easy! Just a few simple ingredients is all you need! These tortilla pizzas are everything you love about bbq chicken pizza but made in half the time!
- A fun lunch option! These pizzas are light, super tasty and cook in minutes! They’re great for a quick meal and the perfect way to use up any leftover chicken.
- Easy to customize! Not a fan of red onion? Leave it off! Love spice? Add a few fresh or pickled jalapenos before baking! Your topping options are endless!
Need it gluten free? Use gluten free tortillas instead. (Our favorite gluten free alternative is Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. They crisp up so well in the oven!)
Need it dairy free? Use dairy free shredded mozzarella instead. (We love Trader Joe’s Almond Mozzarella Style Shreds or Buf Creamery Lactose Free Mozzarella for a lactose free option.)
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Crispy Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Roasted Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
- Lemon Oregano Chicken with Avocado Greek Salsa
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review int he comments. I love seeing what you create!]
BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizzas
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (to sauce the pizza AND for the chicken)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (or 8oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced)
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced thin
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and place a large cookie sheet in the oven while it's heating.
- Once the oven is hot, place your tortillas on the hot cookie sheet and bake them for 4-5 minutes. (Your tortillas should be slightly crisp with the edges just starting to turn brown.)While the tortillas are baking, mix a small amount of barbecue sauce with your shredded chicken and set it aside.
- Once the tortillas are done, spread a small amount of barbecue sauce over the top of each one. Then layer with your cheese, shredded barbecue chicken and red onions.Place the pan with your pizzas back in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes (or until the edges are crispy and your cheese has melted).
- Once done, remove the pizzas from the oven and sprinkle cilantro over the top. Slice and serve immediately.