Baked stuffed sweet potatoes are the perfect comfort meal! They’re loaded with tangy shredded bbq chicken and served with your favorite toppings!
Sweet potatoes… I can’t get enough of them! Mashed, fried, baked, grilled…you name it and I’m all over it! But ever since I learned the beauty of a good stuffed sweet potato, ohhhh baby it’s been my go-to way to make them ever since! Especially when they’re stuffed with anything bbq. (That sweet, salty and tangy combo just makes my mouth water!) And what’s even better? They’re so easy to make too! Just prep your sweet potatoes and chicken, let your oven do all the work and VIOLA – dinner’s on the table in no time at all! These bbq chicken stuffed sweet potatoes have definitely become a staple weeknight dinner in our house and I know your family will love them too!
Ingredients for bbq chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes: Look for potatoes with reddish skin that aren’t wrinkly or have too many dark spots.
- Chicken tenders: They take less time to cook than chicken breasts and are so much more moist and tender too!
- BBQ sauce: Feel free to use your favorite! (We love using Stubbs Sweet Heat Sauce for this recipe! It’s spicy, sweet and pairs so well with your sweet potatoes!)
- Salt & pepper: Every recipe needs a little salt & pepper to help bring out those flavors!
- Avocado oil: Has a very high smoking point which is perfect for crisping up the skins of your potatoes. (You can also use olive oil instead. They just won’t get quite as crispy.)
Since we were craving these sweet potatoes the other day, we stopped by our local Sprouts and they had all the ingredients we needed! From organic chicken tenders to sweet potatoes to even finding organic bbq sauce too! I love that I can always find fresh fall produce at Sprouts along with any ingredients needed to make our favorite comfort foods- ie. BAKED STUFFED SWEET POTATOES!
How to make bbq chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Next trim both ends off your potatoes and use a fork to poke a few holes into each. (This helps your potatoes to cook evenly and not explode in the oven!😉) Then place the potatoes on your prepared pan and drizzle some avocado oil over the top. Rub the oil in with your hands and season all sides of your potatoes with salt and pepper. Set them aside.
- Next spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and place your chicken tenders in the dish. Season both sides of your tenders with salt and pepper. Once done, place both the chicken tenders and the sweet potatoes in the oven. (It’s ok if they’re on separate racks.) Bake the tenders for 15-20 minutes and the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes. (The baking time for your potatoes will range depending on their size.)
- When the chicken tenders are done, remove the from the oven and shred them using a fork and knife. Add your shredded chicken to a bowl and mix them with your bbq sauce.
- Once the potatoes are done, cut them in half almost all the way through and divide your bbq chicken evenly among them. Serve immediately with your desired toppings & bon appetite!
What are best sized sweet potatoes to use?
Try to find potatoes that are similar in size to ensure they cook at the same time. I used potatoes that were around .5lb each and they were perfect for us!
How do I know when my potatoes are done?
Your sweet potatoes should be soft in the center with a slightly crispy skin. To test for doneness, give your potatoes a gentle squeeze after their baking time is up. If they give in quite a bit, they’re done. If they still feel a little firm, let them cook for 5 more minutes and test them again.
Storing & Reheating Instructions
- To store: Place your sweet potatoes and bbq chicken in separate air tight containers and keep them in fridge.
- To reheat: Warm your sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Place your bbq chicken in a large sauce pot on the stove, cover it and turn the burner on to low/medium-low. Keep checking it and stirring until it reaches your desired temperature. (You might want to add some water if you notice the chicken getting too dry.)
Why you’ll love this easy stuffed sweet potato recipe
- An easy weeknight meal! There’s only 3 ingredients needed and the oven does all the work!
- Fun to customize! Use your favorite bbq sauce or add some pizzaz with fun & unique toppings! (A dollop of sour cream, coleslaw or even a handful of freshly cooked corn would be so good with these too!)
- Clean up is a breeze! Since the oven’s doing the bulk of the work, you only need to worry about cleaning 2 pans!
Need it gluten free? Use your favorite gluten free bbq sauce! Our favorite brand is Stubbs!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More dinner recipes you might like:
- Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Pineapple Stuffed Teriyaki Chicken
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- ¾-1 cup bbq sauce
- Salt & pepper
- Avocado oil (or olive oil)
- Optional toppings: red onion, cilantro, extra bbq sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Then trim the ends off your potatoes and use a fork to poke a few holes into each. (This helps your potatoes to cook evenly and not explode in the oven!)
- Next place the potatoes on your prepared baking pan and drizzle your avocado oil over the top. Rub the oil in with your hands and season all sides of your potatoes with salt and pepper. Set them aside.
- Next spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and place your chicken tenders in the dish. Season both sides of your tenders with salt and pepper. Once done, place the chicken tenders and sweet potatoes in the oven. (It's ok if they're on separate racks.) Bake the tenders for 15-20 minutes and the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes (depending on the size).
- Once your tenders are done, remove them from the oven and shred them using a fork and knife. Add your shredded chicken to a bowl and mix it with your bbq sauce then set it aside.
- Once the potatoes are done, cut them in half almost all the way through and divide your bbq chicken evenly among them. Serve immediately with your desired toppings.