This baked salmon is perfect for a quick & healthy dinner! It’s tender, loaded with flavor & has the BEST avocado-feta topping! (Ready in less than 30 minutes!)
I’ve always loved salmon recipes. Usually I lean towards the sweeter side with dishes like my Sugar Spiced Salmon or Maple Mustard Glazed Salmon – but this savory Mediterranean-inspired version is a new favorite! It’s light yet full of flavor, incredibly tender and comes together in no time at all! This is one of my favorite baked salmon dishes.
The contributing star of this dish has to be the avocado-feta topping. With flavorful ingredients like salty feta, creamy avocado, fresh dill and chives, this show-stopping topper is the perfect finishing touch to your salmon. (And it’s so simple too!) It’s a satisfying high protein meal that’s the perfect way to kick start the New Year!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Salmon fillets: Try to use salmon fillets that are similar in size so they finish baking around the same time. Salmon fillets with and without the skin both work for this recipe! (I prefer using salmon fillets without the skin for ours.)
Lemons: I usually use 1-2 lemons for this dish, depending on their size. You’ll be using the juice and lemon zest
Olive oil: We use Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil for ours. (You’ll be brushing the salmon with a lemon and oil mixture to keep them moist while baking.)
Avocado: Look for avocados that are ripe or slightly overripe for the best results. (They have a soft creamy texture that pairs well with the rest of the topping ingredients.)
Feta cheese: I always suggest buying a block of feta and crumbling it yourself. (It has better flavor and texture than store-bought feta crumbles.)
Fresh dill: Chopped fresh dill is used in the both the lemon/oil mixture for brushing and the avocado-feta topping! (I just love the freshness it adds to this dish!)
Chives: Chives are similar to green onion (scallions) but are much smaller and don’t have an edible bulb at the bottom. Their mild flavor adds the perfect amount of zest to the topping!
Spices: Salt, black pepper and paprika are needed to season the salmon. (Feel free to use as much as you like!) You’ll also be lightly seasoning the avocado-feta topping with salt and black pepper to bring out it’s flavors.
How To Make Baked Salmon
1. Prep the oven. Turn your oven on to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Make the topping. Mix the diced avocado, crumbled feta, chopped dill and chives together in a small bowl. Then squeeze lemon juice over the top and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.) Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the salmon.
3. Prepare the salmon. Pat the salmon fillets with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture and place them in your prepared baking dish. Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and remaining chopped dill together and brush the mixture over each fillet. Season each fillet with salt, pepper and paprika to your liking.
4. Bake. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
5. Serve. Serve immediately with the avocado-feta topping spooned over the top.
This salmon dish is is full of bright flavors and zesty ingredients! When thinking of what to pair it with, we usually opt for simpler sides. Think about sides like roasted veggies or a simple side salad, things with mild flavor that won’t compete with the salmon. Here are a few of our favorite side dishes to help get you started:
- Roasted baby potatoes
- White rice or rice pilaf
- Sautéed asparagus
- Roasted broccoli with onions
- Garlic bread
Why you’ll love this baked salmon recipe!
- Bursting with flavor! This salmon recipe is loaded with vibrant ingredients like lemon zest, fresh dill & salty feta cheese!
- An easy dinner idea! The salmon bakes in less than 15 minutes & the avocado topping takes just minutes to make. Dinner will be on the table in no time at all!
- Satisfying & healthy meal! Salmon is a great source of lean protein & loaded with omega-3’s! When paired with nutrient dense avocado it becomes a nourishing powerhouse!
[Made one of my recipes? Tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments – I love seeing what you create!]
Baked Salmon with Avocado & Feta
For the salmon:
- 4 salmon fillets (without skin)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Paprika, to taste
For the avocado-feta topping:
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, sliced
- ½ of a lemon, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Prep the oven. Turn your oven on to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make the avocado-feta topping. Mix the avocado, crumbled feta, dill and chives together in a small bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.)Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the salmon.
- Prepare the salmon. Pat the salmon fillets with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture and place them in your prepared baking dish.In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and dill together and brush the mixture over each fillet. Season each fillet with salt, pepper and paprika to your liking.
- Bake! Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve. Serve immediately with your avocado-feta topping spooned over each fillet.