These baked chicken taquitos are absolutely delicious and taste just like they came from your favorite taco shop! Plus they’re incredibly easy and can be frozen too!
Rolled tacos, taquitos, whatever you want to call them – these were my jam back in the day! I always ordered them from every taco shop I went to and devoured them IMMEDIATELY after! (Seriously, they NEVER lasted the car ride home… 😉 ) So you can imagine how stoked I was when I actually recreated my childhood obsession at home with these incredibly easy baked chicken fajita taquitos!
How to Roll Taquitos
- Place your corn tortilla in the microwave (3 at a time) and heat for 30-40 seconds. (Make sure the tortillas are VERY pliable!
- Lay one tortilla on a cutting board and place your chicken filling and sprinkle of cheese at the top of the tortilla.
- Gently roll the tortilla over the filling and continue rolling until you reach the other side.
- (Some of the filling might fall out when you’re rolling it so you may need to stuff some back in on the sides once the taquito is rolled.)
- Place the rolled taquito “seam side” down on a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with your remaining tortillas.
You can also check out my Instagram and watch a tutorial on how to roll these too! Just click HERE and look for it in my highlights!
What do I serve with chicken taquitos?
There’s so many options when it comes to what to serve with these! Some of our favorite options include rice, refried beans or black beans and a small Mexican style side salad. However, when it comes to toppings the possibilities are endless! I’ve list a few other options for you below:
- Guacamole/mashed avocado
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Cotjia cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Chunky salsa
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Sour cream
Can I freeze chicken taquitos?
Yes, yes & YES! Here are some step by step instructions on how to freeze taquitos:
- After rolling the taquitos, carefully place them on a small tray with the “seam” side down and place the tray in the freezer.
- Once the taquitos are frozen, take them off the tray and place them in a large plastic bag. (You may need a few bags depending on how many taquitos you have.)
- Seal the bag and place it in the freezer until your ready to eat.
How do I reheat frozen taquitos?
It’s simple! Just take out however many taquitos you want, place them on a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they’re crispy! No thawing needed!
And now you can have easy healthy chicken taquitos any time you want! 🙂
Hope you’re all having an amazing day and enjoying the first days of fall!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Baked Chicken Fajita Taquitos
- 13 corn tortillas
- 4 chicken tenders
- ¼ red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ white onion, chopped
- Fajita seasoning (see link below for my homemade seasoning)
- Shredded cheese (cheddar or monterrey jack)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season chicken tenders with fajita seasoning on both sides and set them aside. Heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Once hot, spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add the chicken tenders. Cook tenders for 2-3 minutes per side. Shred them when done and place them in a bowl.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and onions to the same pan and saute them until tender. (About 2-3 minutes) Once done, add them to the bowl with the shredded chicken and stir. (You may want to add more fajita seasoning at this point so make sure to taste it!)
- Take 3 tortillas at a time and put them on a paper plate with a damp paper towel covering them. Place them in the microwave and heat for 30-40 seconds or until the tortillas are VERY pliable.
- Take a spoonful of the chicken mixture and place it at one end of the tortilla. Add a sprinkle of cheese (if using) and carefully roll the tortilla over the mixture and keep rolling until you come to the other end. (DO NOT OVER STUFF THEM! If you notice the tortilla is not rolling properly or you're having trouble, try taking some of the filling out and re-rolling it.)
- Place the taquito "seam side" down on a baking sheet lined with parchment and repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.
- Once all the taquitos are rolled, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. (You can also spray the taquitos with avocado oil spray and sprinkle some salt on top before baking.)
- Serve them with your favorite toppings and enjoy!