Sweet tender apples, creamy peanut butter and a crunchy topping that’s just to die for! These incredibly easy apple muffins are just what you need for your next breakfast treat!
Apples and peanut butter… Can it really get any more classic than that?! Not in my book babes! That’s why I decided to kick it up a notch and create these deliciously easy apple muffins with peanut butter streusel! (Seriously this recipe could not be any easier and they taste like magic!)
I have to be honest though, there’s a story that comes with these too. Basically I had to remake this recipe 3 different times because I just could NOT figure out why the batter kept sticking to my muffin liners!! It was driving me crazy! So when I say now that this is a no fail recipe, I really mean it’s A NO FAIL RECIPE!!!
What kind of apples should I use?
I used honeycrisp apples for this recipe because they’re a sweeter apple. You can also use fuji or pink lady apples as well. If you’re looking for a more tart apple, then I would suggest using granny smiths.
Do I need to peel the skin off of my apples?
Not at all! Because we’re cooking the apples, the skin itself will soften to where you won’t even notice it in the muffin.
Should I use muffin liners?
I would say yes for the these. I’ve made these muffins 3 times now and every time the muffins that I put in the liners turned out 10x better than the ones without. That being said, make sure you SPRAY YOUR MUFFIN LINERS with non-stick cooking spray too! This batter is VERY sticky and the muffins will stick to liners if they’re not sprayed enough.
Can I prep anything ahead of time?
Absolutely! I would suggest making the streusel ahead of time and storing it in the fridge so it has time to harden. Not only does this make your life easier when you go to actually bake the muffins, but it also allows for a crunchier streusel too! Long story short – the longer the streusel sits in the fridge, the more the coconut oil hardens and the crunchier your streusel will be. 🙂 (Just break it up before you sprinkle it over your muffin batter.)
So now all I need to know is who’s ready for some warm delicious apple muffins with peanut butter streusel?! Because ya’ll know I am! 😉
Like this recipe? Check out my Pinterest page for even more recipes like this!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Apple Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel
For the Apple Muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsps cinnamon
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 medium apples, chopped (about 2 cups)
For the Peanut Butter Streusel:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsps coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter (can replace with your favorite nut butter)
- 4½ tsps coconut oil, melted
To make the Peanut Butter Streusel:
- Mix the oats, flour and coconut sugar together in a bowl. Add the peanut butter and coconut oil and stir until it becomes a crumbly mixture.
- Place the streusel in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
To make the Apple Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and generously spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray. (You can also use muffin liners instead but you WILL need to spray the inside of these too.)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, applesauce, almond milk and vanilla together. Gradually add the flour mixture in and stir and until it's just combined. Stir in the apples.
- Fill the prepared muffin tins ⅔'s of the way up. (DO NOT overfill these!) Sprinkle the streusel over the top and gentley press it down into the batter slightly.
- Bake the muffins for 12-13 minutes. Once done, let them cool in the tin for 10 minutes before pulling them out.